Basher Number 2 Wheel Refurbishment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Ok, so the wheels on my latest build, Basher Number 2 were pretty woeful to say the least. most of the chrome finish was dull and chipped and as this build is going to be a bash truck & made from mostly spare parts left over from my other shelf queen builds didn.t want to spend good money on a set of wheels for it so decided to freshen up the rims it had. Started by removing the tyres by soaking the wheels in 100% pure Acetone to break down the glue & remove the chrome finish. I soaked them for about a hour then used a toothbrush to remove any remaining glue and paint. Then gave the rims a wash in Elbow Grease solvent free degreaser followed by a wash in hot soapy water. Next a light spray coat of grey primer and then a couple os top coats of satin black. Was thinking of putting back to a chrome finish but the rims do have scruffs on them and these would have shown up bad so went with the black. Tyre foams were in really good nick so only needed re-gluing as the Acetone dissolved the glue hold these together aswell. Anyway here are some photos of the before, during & after process.
1673199045344.jpeg1673199109624.jpeg1673199305024.jpeg1673199182412.jpeg1673199358465.jpeg1673199392745.jpeg1673199461212.jpeg1673199816865.jpeg1673199594224.jpeg1673199693413.jpeg

Last edited:
Good job come up well mate! 👍🏻
Does the acetone after time just bubbly up the paint & then you can literally scrape off by hand?

Good job come up well mate! 👍🏻
Does the acetone after time just bubbly up the paint & then you can literally scrape off by hand?
It's like toxic waste bud. Left the wheels in soak for about 45 minutes, the glue on the tyres was completely dissolved and the chrome paint just wasn't there anymore. Was all laying in the bottom of the tub, just gave them a little rub with a toothbrush to clean any bits out of the cracks & crevasses, washed everything with good old Elbow Grease degreaser than with hot soapy water. I love Acetone for removing paint or glue it's effortless mate and at only £15 a gallon pretty cheap to. Best to use 100% pure acetone and use the liquid not the gel. When it has sat over night most of the paint & glue sinks to the bottom of the tub and I strain what is left through an old duster then I can reuse it over and over again. It obviously get dirtier the more you use it but still works just the same, the fumes keep you happy will working to. LOL.🤪🤪🙃
1673213500992.jpeg

Yer, this stuff will clean almost anything. Did have it completely dissolve a ZD Racing wheel though, One of these metallic red ones I have must be made of some other sort of plastic. Or maybe left it in soak for to long, did leave it in soak for around 24hrs. Just ended up with a big lump of reddish slim in the bottom of the tub but the tyre & foam were still good. The wheel was knackered so no get loss, just a lesson on time to soak stuff was learnt.

Latest posts

Members online

Back