basher diff oil opinions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok I'm sure this has been debated b4 and I'm sure I'm gonna get A LOT of answers.... but I'm really just lookin for a general idea on what diff oils to run front and rear for a general all around basher.... playin around in the fields, rippin up and down the street from time to time, and of course the jumps!... nothin too big yet, just general playin around and BASHIN! Nothin too crazy in the mod department yet either... still pretty much stock... k4.6, hpi polished pipe, and soon to be BIG BORES!

What are the opinions?!?!?!?

SUPER THANKS IN ADVANCE!
(cause i know you guys rock and will have all kinds of opinions up in no time!)

I would stay under 10,000wt since you will be running on harder surfaces. You want your diff to be able to give some, and it will handle really good.

No idea on grades, but I use 3in1 oil in the front and car cv grease in the rear. I did this on my old sav and have done it on the current one, I find that when applying the throttle out of corners, the front doesn't want to wash as wide, oh and it slides pretty damn well to boot!

For moderate bashing I would actually go to 15,000 or 20,000. Hard bashing 30,000 front 50,000 rear and racing between 7,000 and 10,000 in the savage. Racing you want lighter in the front.

i use front rear 10k same..
one more thing does the more heavy oil will more protect ur diff ? :D

In the stock diff hi traction like clay I liked 10 front 7 rear. In sandy stuff I went as high as 30 K front and 10 rear. I found the savage is not easy to drive with the rear end heavy it will push you all over if you have traction.

Right now I am running 30k in the front and 15k in the rear. I have it setup where I basically just steer the truck and the rear follows. I have also ran 10k in both front and rear and like that also.

Heavier weight oil in the front will make the truck steer like on rail and go where it's pointing. Heavier weight in the rear will make the rear end slide out on corners. So basically it depends on your driving style.

well now u guys respond! lol jk... i got some 10k from the lhs... heaviest they had.. I'm gonna give that shot and see how it goes.

THANKS GUYS!

josh, be sure to post back after you run it a few times & let us know what differences you see

I guess I'm the only one who like it thick in the rear.120k. Its close to locked with just a little give. It allows for great hook up off the line. Both wheels spinning the same. Also lets you ride wheelies out pretty far. Again I'm a basher only. I don't care about push in the corners. I want a killer take off in the parking lot. I've tried thinner fluids and one they leak easier and two one wheel will balloon first then the other starts and causes a torque steer out the hole.

Whoa this is an old post, but...

i have 5k front and rear, and it handles awesome. the diffs move more freely allowing for things link cyclones and doughnuts, lol.

Isn't that statement fundamentally wrong?? haha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back