baja 5b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifter37

Anybody own one of the hpi 5b,s? Just wondering, is there any thing I should be aware of and what should the first upgrades be. Thanks for any help guys.

Santa is bringing me one, cool huh. I'll definitely check the site out, thanks hop.

Ya I got one. I guess some of the first upgrades are metal gears in the steering servo as you will destroy them, then a clutch upgrade and a TGN pipe which is absolutely awsome http://www.teamgonads.com/Merchant2...OD&Product_Code=4995&Category_Code=hpiexhaust the stock radio has a few bugs in the factory fail safe, there are also some upgraded carbs which are available and make a nice difference.

If you don't want to spend the money of a pipe heres a trick: Take the extended stinger piece off and totally guy the stock pipe it is a dramatic improvement but not near what the TGN one is. The stock rear tires rip fairly easily there is a good set of rear tires out there which are made from hostile hobbies which is a great link for parts http://www.hostilehobby.com/ You will be amazed with these tires as they wear very well and have lots of traction.

I guess the next step is a DDM motor which there are may different sizes and most of them will make you lift the tires with eaz.

Make sure to use a good quality 2-cycle oil like a moto-cross oil.

Anyhow I hope this helps some. I run all these parts listed above except for the DDM engine which is next on the list but this thing runs like a bandit. I have played around with alot of other parts and have come to a conclusion that these are best suited for me. LOL Enjoy they are a blast and very easy as there is very little tunning and very easy to run and much cheaper on fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks larsen, that will definitely give me some heads up on everything.

I never had a problem with the stock remote but did change it almost right away with the Futaba 2.4Ghz 3PM remote, but have read that many people have had issues with the stocker. I am actually using the stock radio on my Racer savage at the moment because I'm just building it and playing around but need to buy another 3PM radio so I have another for this truck and the rest of them.

Will be going on my 3pk. Don't want to take any chances with that kind of $$$$$$$$$ invested.

How much quicker are the Baja's compared to the Savage?

Lifter you must have been real good to santa for him to be bringing you that.

Latest posts

Members online

Back