Backing black with white?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Form

Sup guys, finally got some time to paint my savy's body!

Right now I have a mostly opaque black (except some very sparse microscopic little dots when viewed looking to a light source) on the body I just began.

My black can is empty and I want to get a good finish. As I said the black is opaque when looking at a light source, except the very small dots.

Should I back the black with white, or is this a bad idea?

I have 4 layers of black right now, then I'll be removing some liquid mask and paint that with green.

So what should I do?

Black if opaque does not need to be backed 4 coats is mostlikey all you want anyways. the more you go the more prone to crack and flake off if it crashes

i totally agree with bank ... you should be fine with the black the way it is ... and if your going to be adding green that will back the black even more.. but like bank said the more layers the thiker it gets the easier to crack and flake off... thin coats is the best way to do it and if its a lil see through its not that noticable when on the truck flying by you at 50 mph.. right?lol

Ok thanks a lot for the fast replies Bank & max!

I'll post some pics of my body when it's done... it's taking shape slowly but surely. BTW Bob Dively's liquid mask works great, this is my first body and I am having no problem with bleeding whatsoever.

Oh, and is it a problem if I let the black dry overnight and continue with the green tomorrow? Will this prevent a good bond between the colors or something? I hope not, because I don't have much time to do this tonight.

no let it dry as long as you like. Multi coats to soon have a effect but not letting it dry

Oh, and while I'm at it: do you use or recommend a way to protect the paintjob from cracking / peeling on the inside? (even if that's not very likely, better prevent than repair) I read somewhere people using enamel paint or something like that, I'd like to make it as tough as possible.

ive lined one of my lids with clear tape .. it helps hold the paint inplace if it does chip or crack keeps it from falling all the way off and being clear in that spot...

Thanks but I'd like a more "permanent" way to protect it. Any other ideas?

Plus I hate the damn clear tape lol.

Wouldn't it pull on the paint and chip it when the body is deformed?

lol idk then ... and no the tape didnt pull mine off ... maybe your a duct tape kinda guy? try that lol.... i was thinking of trying rubber coating once but that sure would make for a heavy lid id think... you get any good ways of doing it post it .. theres probly ppl thinking of ways to do it as well... i used tape ..still have the lid almost a yr and its been abused, lined with duct tape now ...

Nice work Form. Great color combination.
Was that liquid mask easy to work with?

Nice work Form. Great color combination.
Was that liquid mask easy to work with?

Yep, the liquid mask was great. As long as you make sure you cut it everywhere it comes off very well and doesn't lift the other parts (you don't have to apply much pressure at all, just make sure not to miss any spots). If it lifts a bit you can always push it back on the body by pressing on it and it should stick back pretty well. What's awesome with it is that there is simply no bleed anywhere. All the little imperfections on my body were due to my amateur skills with the x-acto (mainly on the bottom border where my lines are not very straight, luckily this isn't very visible). I did 5 or 6 layers of it, it makes a very slim rubber film but it works!

I'm guessing it's way easier than messing with the masking tape and risking to get some paint bleed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back