axial 40 series bead locks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geronimo

ROLL TIDE
Hey, as some of you know , i invested in a set of axial 40 series bead locks for my
xl project. and i decided on the moab 40 series tire.
I was pretty inpressed with the over alll appearance of the axial beadlock rim.
Great chrome finish,very sturdy rim.
But ,there was a whole lot of screws to run. Imo do not use power tools, yea i could have, but there way to easy to strip,and at $28 for a set of two, no thanks.
got the tires mounted(two hours) and took the for a bash session.
great fun(lovin the 40 series)
i did some decent jumps 15+ ft vertical, rims held up well, no tire pop off.
chrome seems to be holding up fine. did some speed runs, again rims held tires well, even had a few cart wheels. no problems.
I truly like the look of the axial bead locks. and they preformed well.
well enough to buy a second set of rims for my savy x.peace
100_16281.jpg

100_16271.jpg

100_16261.jpg

100_16201.jpg

100_16191.jpg

100_16151.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, been a few weeks, and i have had a few serious bash time.so its time for a follow up.

#1. cost .$22.95 a set

#2 durabilty. These have held very well ,to some serious bashing.
hexes are in great shape, no missing bead lock screws. chrome has minimal flaking,so far just around axial rod connection.

#3 assembly. Ha ha, its a PITA .24 screws per wheel. for a total of 96, and no, i do not recommend any type of power tool. just too east to strip.

#4 Quality ..Top notch, i give them a 8 outta 10, nothings perfect, but these are truly up there with the best.

#5 beadlock. these have held the tires great, cart wheels, roll overs, flips. and just plain nasty landings. no pop off what so ever. this was my biggest concern and the axial rims have not let me down.

****NOTE***
This review is for rims only****

nice review Ger, thanks for taking the time to write it up.

keep up posted after you run a gallon or so on them; ive heard some peeps not too happy with them (hexes stripping out & such) but seems like your having better luck with them.

:resp:

sweet geranimo. i use the axial bead locks as well with big joes on one of my savys and i abuse them no missing screws no broken hexas . over all a nice wheel minus the 96 screws . at first i was afraid to bash to hard due to the sheer width of the tire wheel combo thought they stuck out so far it would break knuckles or c hubs something. but ive cart wheeld mine pretty fearce and no probs at all.

ive been running my axial beads with ger same tire and no slipping no broken and stripped hexes. I have had them for two years. I broke one rim but that was a runway into a wall. I love mine just wished tire selection was better.

I had three sets. They were great for a year then sucked big time. The screws started to back out on their own. Then beads pop out. Re tighten to no avail, the screws holes actually get oblong, egg shaped and the screws wont hold anymore. Ended up gluing them. After that The hexs started going. They are all in the trash now. I give them a 3 out of 10 lol. Those were probably the worst investment I made on wheels and I've run about all of them.

Bought a set for my X-XL project too, i love them, PITA with all the screws but i did cheat and use my cordless drill to wind them in, but with the drill at no more than 1/4 speed and i stopped about an 1/8th of an inch before tightening the last threads by hand.

Havnt really given them any abuse yet but will report on how they stand up for me.

016.jpg
[/IMG]

019-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Bought a set for XL project too, i love them, PITA with all the screws but i did cheat and use my cordless drill to wind them in, but with the drill at no more than 1/4 speed and i stopped about an 1/8th of an inch before tightening the last threads by hand.

Havnt really given them any abuse yet but will report on how they stand up for me.

016.jpg
[/IMG]

careful Londoner i think i see a young boy in the background eyeing your savage :jamout:

Bought a set for my X-XL project too, i love them, PITA with all the screws but i did cheat and use my cordless drill to wind them in, but with the drill at no more than 1/4 speed and i stopped about an 1/8th of an inch before tightening the last threads by hand.

016.jpg
[/IMG]

019-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Whats the name of wheel? thanks

I have same wheels w/proline bow-ties and love them widens truck and the bow-ties stick to my track really well. Looked at max's but in the real 4wheeling world dual bolted bead locks with more screws are better just look at fullsize rock crawlers 32 bolt beads the norm. But also would like a better selection of tires for racing. But the wheels are holding up great to a noob on the track doing cartwheels and hitting walls and such. So far great wheels love em!!!!

Great, just like to think everyone for posting.
Good or bad, please post up your exp with the Axial beadlock rims.
Remember, alot of ppl referance post such as these, before they make a purchase, so if you have had a bad experiance with these rims let us know, or if you have ran these for an extended period. post you results. peace

Well this happened to one of mine yesterday...........

001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

002-2.jpg
[/IMG]

The tyre bead pulled right through the beadlock, the ring hadnt loosened off at all, was still tight up against the wheel!!

I had three sets. They were great for a year then sucked big time. The screws started to back out on their own. Then beads pop out. Re tighten to no avail, the screws holes actually get oblong, egg shaped and the screws wont hold anymore. Ended up gluing them. After that The hexs started going. They are all in the trash now. I give them a 3 out of 10 lol. Those were probably the worst investment I made on wheels and I've run about all of them.

I have to totally agree with Grumpy here, these wheels are the by far the biggest mistake i have made on my build, and a huge waste of money, from the get go iv had tyre beads pulling through the beadlocks on virtually every run, extremely annoying to say the least, iv felt like taking my club hammer to them on more than one occasion!

I have probably a bit over a gallon on them now and ALL beads are now glued, completely defeats the object of beadlocks lmao

Once the beadlock screws have been in and out more than 2 or 3 times they simply don't hold anymore and WILL NOT tighten up, its not a case of me overtightening them or going too mad, i do up the screws and i feel zero resistance once they are screwed in all the way and just keep turning, i used to be HGV diesel fitter and I'm more than aware about overtightening screws and the like and how easy these kinda things can strip, so this is not the case.

And now i just decided to give my truck a little once over inspection while I'm waiting on new diff gears and have just seen this!! :retarded: Pathetic!!

004-7.jpg
[/IMG]

And this is a front wheel too, if anything i thought it would be a rear hex to go first.

The little fuel i have run on these wheels so far has only been to break in my k4.6 and LRP, they have still had no real abuse yet or any decent cartwheeling etc, SAD.

When i get my new PROPER wheels i will have the greatest satisfaction in smashing these up and burning them!!

My advice to anybody thinking of buying axial beadlocks, based on my experience with these wheels would be DO NOT BUY THEM!

Sorry for the strong words about these but of all the wheels i was looking at these were the most expensive at £25.99gbp per pair, so a total of £51.98, $85.73 for US readers, i could have ordered from the US for a bit of a cheaper price but they would have been over the UK tax/import duty threshold value, so + 30% in customs tax would have worked out around the same price as the UK RRP, i feel so bitter towards them.

Another thing i forgot to mention is the amount of flex in these wheels, if you look carefully at left of the C hub in my last pic you can see where the inner edge of the lock ring has been hitting it and wearing away the plastic.

Also if you look at the screw heads you can see CA around them, this is my desperate attempt to try and get the screws to hold, i dabbed a little thick CA onto the threads, screwed them in quickly then allowed the CA to set bit then nipped them up a touch more, this is the only way i can get them to hold lol

Sorry for the strong words .

don't be sorry, you dint break any rules. thanks for providing honest feedback, facts & pics.

this info & review will be valuable to the next peeps considering these rims.

+rep

Thanks Freddy, NP.

The flex has damaged both front c hubs and my two rear arms, i can only assume this flex is happening when the truck goes up on its two wheels on the same side, cos as i say they havnt seen any major cartwheeling or owt yet, there is a good 20mm gap from the edge of the inner ring and the damage on the rear arms, il say again pathetic lol

011-5.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Members online

Back