Axial .28 Spec 2s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFixxer

100% Addict..There is no hope
He fellas. Trying to get the Losi Aftershock in the dirt but I'm having some confusion with what glowplug to use. The truck has the Axial .28 Spec 2s engine. I haven't gotten it to start yet but have it narrowed down to a flakey glow plug. Any suggestions on which one to use?

Thanks @olds97_lss , I bought this Losi a long time ago and never really ran it more than a few times. Now that I'm back in the hobby I'd like to get this bugger running again. The plug that was in the engine was an O.S. P5 Off-Road Turbo Very Hot Plug and I believe at the time I was using 30% back when I had this truck running. I did pick up another P5 glow plug this evening but had forgotten about nitro percentage and all I have on hand is 20% (traxxas brand) at the moment. It appears the p5 plug is longer than the ones in the link you shared so I would I be right to assume my particular .28 Spec 2s has the turbo head?

I wish I knew more about the engine but it has been so long since I was in the hobby I used to know all my trucks spec for spec but really can't remember much about this rig at all. The turbo head thing is adding to my confusion what plug I should really be using, coupled with nitro percentage, current weather (very hot and humid), and not remembering much about the truck from the get go.

If it was using the p5, that's a turbo plug. They don't use a gasket, are larger diameter thread and have a cone shaped tip that seals flush with the combustion chamber. You can't use a standard flat end plug in that and you can't use a turbo plug in a standard head.

Looks like the p5 is the medium-hot offroad turbo plug.

New P5 plug installed last night and I was able to get it to fire up, although needle settings were all out of whack. It ran (no driving around, just sitting on the bench) for a few minutes then ran out of fuel since I did not put much in the tank to begin with. I refueled but could not get it to refire. I can see fuel in the lines

A couple things I noticed while it was running. Small bubbles forming around the glow plug hole and glow plug and a chocolate milk like fluid dripping out of the pipe but diggin through my old posts here on the forums I had made a few years ago mention the chocolate milk residue so it is not a new symptom, just something I had forgotten about til now. None of this can be normal so now the question is....Is this engine in need of rebuild or replacement?

If you have decent compression when it's cold, it's likely still ok. You can feel for pinch by removing the glow plug and rotating the crank. You should feel resistance as the piston reaches the top of the cylinder. If you feel nothing, then it's likely at it's end of life. When the engine heats up, the sleeve expands a bit and the piston moves freely but the tolerance is close enough to still build compression and make a good seal. Once the pinch is too worn out, you end up with constant flame outs.

For me, I would think the P5 is a bit hot if your still running 30%. Usually you would want a medium or cold plug for that high or the air/fuel detonates too early causing the engine to fight itself whenever it's running.

I had an axial 28 once... didn't matter what I did, after a gallon was through it, it ran like garbage. I sold it for parts and gave up on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back