Axial .28 ..pain in the a$$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awya14

So my buddy buys 1 last Friday. Brake it in Saturday ..no probs .Sunday he tries to start it pulls once ..cord doesnt retract! 1 way seized up..arrg
2 hrs later frees it up and continues to have a good track session.
monday I buy 1 for my beast ..during Break it (2-1/2) tanks it stalls ..
go to restart it ....SEIZED ..motor this time, was idleing at 145F-185F no higher..
about an hr later while removeing the Flywheel it frees up,but sticky at T D C
we called cali to find out what could have caused this problem ..answer.sidewinder fuel! Ive confirmed with 4 different people that sidewinder is just bad ..too much color ..so I bought some wild cat 20% with 20% oil to continue to break in and try to retrieve any life outa the brand new motor, My question is ...how much life and or power did I kill from this happening? and I know useing 20% oil means I need to lean it more how hot is too hot when add 8% more oil?
thanks for any help

Allot of engines will get stuck at top dead center!!! My surefire .32 did it for the first 1 1/2 gallons... (kinda a good thing) b/c you know it has good pinch. Do get mad at the engine.. The axial is a good engine, it will be your friend if you treat it right !!!!!!!

Thats what the guy at the shop said ..but it just seems wrong.

The important part is to get it running and keep it that way. Let it cool off at BDC. I really don't think the fuel is a problem, but I don't own your Axial so I guess I wouldn't really know. If you care at all I run Trinity Monster Horsepower 20% and It's been going strong for 1 and 1/3 gallons. No problems at all.

Ya ,but when we called axial they said it was the fuel ..and to stay away from sidewinder..

Ya ,but when we called axial they said it was the fuel ..and to stay away from sidewinder..

Most engine companys will say it's the fuel so they they don't have to cover it. For example if I called HPI about my .25 they would say my problem is because I didn't use their fuel. Companys like to do that, in fact XJeepGuy uses 30% sidewinder in all his Axials. From what I know sidewinder is a great fuel for Axials.

i have an axial i doubt its the fuel also sounds like you just got stiuck a tdc,thats completly nornal with any engine,not a big deal i don't think any thing will be wrong with it.mines so strong it ripped the wheelie bar off.Try heating it up with a heat gun or even a hair dryer before you start it up its a lot eaiser on a new engine.

You were told wrong. Been running sidewinder for years, and we run 4 axial .28's. It honestly sounds to me like the break-in was not done completely. Just my .02.....

all break in's aside ..now the new problem ...Tuneing it !! what a pain ..I must have got the ****tiest motor they pushed out ..its all over the place ..1 min lean ..the next rich ..started at factory...worked up and down ,cant get it right ..burned over a jug allready and it just wont tune!!
I could see if I was tuneing it my self only haveing a few weeks experience..
but I just stand there well my buddy with 15 years of nitro bashin/tuneing does it ..and he just bought 1 a 3 days before me and it tuned perfect!
The only difference between the 2 motors is the pipe and fuel line..(me ribbed Hpi,him Ths racing)
.just when we think we've got it ,something changes it goes lean or rich ..1 time he reached down to richen it and before he turned the driver ..it richened by it self..we changed glow plugs ,got a little better..then 10 mins later started up again ..only thing now is a messed up or dirty carb ,air leak ...or ..crap i don't even know ..I slap my HPI .21 on ,runs perfect..pipe fuel ..doesnt matter.
I run the Venom fail safe, at 1 point thought it was faulty or had a glitch .I was at 186f, runnin pretty good ..drove 20 ft sputter ..turn around 303f..and was rich! ..I know the 20% oil was gonna effect tuneing ..just not this much..so today I'm gonna buy some 20% 12% and a hot glow plug ..see what happens ..sorry about the sniveling ..thats what happens after 6 hours
of pain in the *** axial tuneage..gotta say though ,$200 to pop a couple wheelies kinda still worth it..
so any feed back you guys can give from what I just said .would be very helpful
thanks for listenin

Axial's are known for how easy they are to tune. Give us a quick synopsis of your break-in method. How many tanks, what settings, did you idle or drive it, etc. Also if you've never sealed an engine now is the time to learn. Check out the stick on how to seal an engine in the engines forum. Not to be harsh or anything but I think you didn't break it in properly.

don't run a hot glow plug in that engine, you will pit the top of the piston. We have had real good sucess with an A5, and we run 30%. Check the motor for air leaks, and make sure you don't let your tank get below 1/2 while tuning. Savages have whats called a 1/2 tank lean issue, which can be a nightmare to tune an engine. Seems to be more prevalent on larger engines. Axial .28 is one of the easiest engines there is to tune, check your fuel lines, and make sure you keep that tank above half while tuning and you shouldnt have any problems.

don't run a hot glow plug in that engine, you will pit the top of the piston. We have had real good sucess with an A5, and we run 30%. Check the motor for air leaks, and make sure you don't let your tank get below 1/2 while tuning. Savages have whats called a 1/2 tank lean issue, which can be a nightmare to tune an engine. Seems to be more prevalent on larger engines. Axial .28 is one of the easiest engines there is to tune, check your fuel lines, and make sure you keep that tank above half while tuning and you shouldnt have any problems.

My buddy tunes his quick and easy ..never sealed it up ..broke it in ..set it up been perfect ever since ..thats what drove me to get 1 ...then 2-1/2 tanks in through the breakin it stalled and seized!..that prob ruined the motor ,but the shop where I live siad it should be fine ..not to Idle any more tanks through it ..drive it around slow ..and then did..8 tanks after in as parkin lot, 150-180f ..then the trouble started ..we are gonna take apart the carb today clean it up..seal the parts we can and try again ..new plug(OS 8)
20%-12% feul and start at stock setting..its been 38-40 deg around here lately so that prob doesnt help..today and the rest of the weekend is lookin warm so it might make it easier...
thanks again fellow bashers!:jamout:

holy crap !! is that really needed? why wouldnt the factory do it?

i didnt have to do my axial but i did have to do all my piccos ,and yes it could be nessasary,this hobby is like that some times you gotta tinker with it, if you want to get rid of it let us know.

what my savy..or my Axial?

well ,If I don't get er tuned I may put the axial on ebay or sell it to a local guy ..we are gonna tear it down and seal it put my .21 back in for an afternoon bashing ..let the RTV dry and seal over night

so we have the carb apart and think we found the prob..the high speed needle O-ring is torn and chewed up ..I was really stiff and hard to turn right off the get go..lesson leared..buy a new motor,tear it down..lube the O-rings seal it up
,so i think that may have it solved, ..picked up some blue thunder 20% 14% ..most exspensive 20% they had,hope it helps too ..fill ya in after ..O ya ,puttin a 47tooth spur on it too ...time for some top speed !!!!!

Anyone who ever asks me about Blue Thunder I'll always say to stay away from that stuff like the plague. Way too much oil which makes it run hotter and eats OWB for breakfast.

I don't think too much oil can make it run hotter.... Good luck with the engine bud don't get discouraged !!!!

well..think we've got it licked ..combo of too much oil ..torn high speed O-ring .
sealed the motor and carb up good as well..now she;s runnin mint..
..5 tanks of the blue thunder and temps arent jumpin ,stayin 255-260 ish and clean bottom-mid-top ..yesterday it was good low..then not, here ,there ..all over the place ..wheelies good and screams all the way!
sorry about all the whinning .
thanks for the help
Keep bashin!

I don't think too much oil can make it run hotter.... Good luck with the engine bud don't get discouraged !!!!
something about the wildcat 20%-20% didnt help..I thought it would cool it down and keep it lubed..who knows? now I'm 20% 14%

New probs with the Axial!!
broke the pullstart spring!!Nothing but probs since I bought this thing
arg

i use quick short pulls,seems to stay together longer.If your still runnin warm then richen it up maybe you are not broken in all the way ,i have to put a blanket on mine to get it to 200 an i,m in fl.

Members online

No members online now.
Back