Arghhh!!! Cheap screws...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKLNHYDE

So I just took the transmission out of my rig to change from the single brake to the dual disc and the :cussing: set screw to remove the cup stripped (see pic) with very little pressure. The allen wrench fit really snug but I'm guessing that the screws used to assemble this are too soft to be durable. Is this a common issue? Looks like I need to upgrade to stainless screws and it looks like I'm ordering either a new shaft or just upgrade to a three speed...:thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry...forgot the pic...Think it's possible to drill it out? Is it even worth the time?

think the same thing happened to me back in the day , gee can't remember now loll
but I think i just drilled it out and pop a new one in .
don't believe most kits come with the set screws though , I just replaced mine with the HPI one.

Unfortunately this is a pretty common occurence with hex head screws. You could drill it out and just replace it. Just be careful not to mess up the threads where the new one will be going into. Try to use a good condition hex wrench and try not to overtighten. That's about all you can do. If your worried about small hardware not being tight enough use some blue loctite on the threads and let it dry good before use. This is a constant problem with my 450 heli! The 1.5mm hex heads on it are a nightmare lol.

thats good stuff (Try to use a good condition hex wrench) very important. try some JB Weld on the end of the wrench, stick it in the screw and let set for 24 hours ....you might get lucky

So I just took the transmission out of my rig to change from the single brake to the dual disc and the :cussing: set screw to remove the cup stripped (see pic) with very little pressure. The allen wrench fit really snug but I'm guessing that the screws used to assemble this are too soft to be durable. Is this a common issue? Looks like I need to upgrade to stainless screws and it looks like I'm ordering either a new shaft or just upgrade to a three speed...:thinking:

I've never had this problem with mine and I crank them down as tight as I can. I also use red loc-tite instead of blue for extra holding measure. I usually snap the shaft off the set screw before it strips out, so it ends needin replaced anyways. But like I said, I've never stripped a set screw.

On a side note, don't go with stainless steel. Those are worse than stock hardware. Think the stock ones strip easy, SS is alot easier. Also bend really easy too. I used to use SS hardware then the first time I tore the savvy apart for maintenace or whatever, screws stripped and ended up gettin replaced.

On a side note, don't go with stainless steel. Those are worse than stock hardware. Think the stock ones strip easy, SS is alot easier. Also bend really easy too. I used to use SS hardware then the first time I tore the savvy apart for maintenace or whatever, screws stripped and ended up gettin replaced.

What do you recommend for a full screw kit then? A stock screws/fasteners kit off ebay, or is there a better option?

Yeah but red loctite can be a pain to get out sometimes, and for hardware this small the blue is more than sufficient.

That's true, but I've had blue break loose before and lost the set screw pin. That's when I switched to red, but wasn't coatin it on the screw, just a little dab, enough to set-up and hold for good.

What do you recommend for a full screw kit then? A stock screws/fasteners kit off ebay, or is there a better option?

I have a recomendation, but not sure if you wanna go that route and it's a bit pricey. LMK and I'll give you a link.

That's true, but I've had blue break loose before and lost the set screw pin. That's when I switched to red, but wasn't coatin it on the screw, just a little dab, enough to set-up and hold for good.

Cool, how much you put on really does make a difference. I use a good amount when I use the blue.

I have a recomendation, but not sure if you wanna go that route and it's a bit pricey. LMK and I'll give you a link.
What's "pricey"? I consider $50 for a screw set pricey, but it would still be worth it if they're that much better than stock. If they're a lot more than that, I'll just stick with a $20 set off ebay.

Iv learnt my lesson with the smaller hexes i used to over tighten the screws and i used the dynamite metric driver set got it for 20 but the heads are wearing out, looking for a new set maybe proline or the losi kit ..

I would agree about drill it out and replace with fastenal screws, they are cheap and you can get what ever grade you want!!!

I've been doing some researching and found that most of the screws used on our trucks can be found with a torx head rather than the hex head so I think I'm going to order a bunch of screws and begin the changeover. Right now, I'll focus on the major ones that I need to replace immediatley and as I do maintenance or repair, I'll change out the stock ones with the new ones. My question is does anybody have a consolidated list of the size and number used for a complete truck before I begin scouring the instruction manual to begin building one? Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Back