Anyone used this tank mod before?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedToys

HPISF Supporter
I bought a truck off Craigslist.. it had this tank mod done. The tank is cracked on the bottom, so I can’t test it.. and the tanks are a little expensive so I’m hesitant to try it on the new tank I have coming.

Attachments

• D01AF091-567A-4D01-8CFD-8474D511D2BF.jpeg
    D01AF091-567A-4D01-8CFD-8474D511D2BF.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 91A810BA-CAA4-4450-936E-F341CDF0E727.jpeg
    91A810BA-CAA4-4450-936E-F341CDF0E727.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 38
First time I've seen that personally. If I was you I would try to patch the crack by melting the plastic together with a soldering iron. I have done it numerous times and can say it does indeed work well. Just make sure to NOT BREATH IN THE FUMES, do it outside

Upbasher.. I never thought of that. It’s worth a shot.. kinda a spiderweb crack.. thanks for idea ???

Yes that is a half tank lean mod that has went around for years and years.its supposed to equalize the pressure. Honestly they ofna 125cc tank is better. But a midtank mod is even better :)

Upbasher... thanks for the tip on using the soldering iron to melt cracks in tank... I found the flat-bill tip works best... but I did have to add plastic to patch as it was wide spread cracks.. also it was around the sump/fuel filter at the bottom of the tank.. trying to get the $150 Craigslist truck up and running.. 71009D77-2479-469F-A810-EF804950C062.jpegBBE38543-4CBC-46B9-849F-8E964C320693.jpeg

Upbasher... thanks for the tip on using the soldering iron to melt cracks in tank... I found the flat-bill tip works best... but I did have to add plastic to patch as it was wide spread cracks.. also it was around the sump/fuel filter at the bottom of the tank.. trying to get the $150 Craigslist truck up and running.. View attachment 7313View attachment 7314

Np man. That trick has saved me many times...definitely worth doing to save a savage tank, they are impossible to find now....I remember buying new take off ones for 12 bucks from lumidave on ebay :(......

I know what you mean..I have thrown some away as I put together mid tank trucks. Now I have 3 trucks and no tanks!

I just won 2 used tanks off eBay... paid $48..

but then you gave me the idea to weld it.. ???

You can leak test the weld before you run it. Plug the fuel nipple on the tank, put a line on the pressure nipple, submerge the tank in a bucket of water and blow into the pressure line. Should be no bubbles. Sometimes its hard to get those melts perfect

I was doing exactly that. Submersing it under water and pressurizing it (blowing into it). It is the only way to find the pinholes. it still took me 20 trips back and forth to the water tank... but I got it. ??

The other tank in your first picture, is that from a Kyosho Mad Crusher? I was looking at them last night and thought that tank might work on a savage with some modification or as a mid tank.

Last edited:
Scam.. good eye! Yes it is a mad force/ crusher tank.. It is very compact.. And would make a good mid tank option, but doesn’t make the conversion any easier.

Drove the $150 Craigslist special today. First time driving a nitro truck in 15 years. I forgot all the little things that make for an enjoyable bash.
-Tank patch worked ??
- OS 30 it came with ran good ??
- forgot how much the half tank lean affects the tune ??
- I didn’t like the axial yeti XL wheels/tires
- broke the rear LST shock caps right off (after fixing the fronts) ?? ... but got a tank ran through.
719D5D74-E10A-4502-8288-DF4C1C8865F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Drove the $150 Craigslist special today. First time driving a nitro truck in 15 years. I forgot all the little things that make for an enjoyable bash.
-Tank patch worked ??
- OS 30 it came with ran good ??
- forgot how much the half tank lean affects the tune ??
- I didn’t like the axial yeti XL wheels/tires
- broke the rear LST shock caps right off (after fixing the fronts) ?? ... but got a tank ran through.
View attachment 7317

May be just me but those tires look really tall on that thing lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back