Anyone look into blending their own fuel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Since there seems to be a problem with nitro supplies and fuel went up on price locally by a good bit I was wondering to myself how hard might it be to blend my own fuel.

My bro races kart so getting methanol (alky), and nitro should not be a problem. The only thing I had to do was work out the percentages and also work out a very high-quality oil package. There's a lot of debate here what is best, but I figured a blend of synthetic and castor would be plenty good enough.

I'm not the kinda guy that will say it's my *secret* 'cause I'm not intending to sell anything as of yet. I might locally if it works really well, but not otherwise.

Anybody interested in hearing what I've worked out? :jamout:

I have some guys around here that do that. They get together and make it in a 5 gallon drum and split it up. It always seems to work but I have never ran it and never seen them do it.

lets hear it bud.

I've learned that the better the quality of the oil package you use the less percentage you can safely run. There are guys running 8% oil safely. :werd:

I'm gonna mix 8%, 10%, and 12% oil and see what happens. I have an older Axial .28 that I can test on and wouldn't hurt my feelings to blow it.

The oil package I ended up on was 30% castor and 70% synthetic...this, to me, would provide the best mix of capabilities in each oil. Some will argue the percentages here, but this is my person opinion of the best mix to use (from extensive researching). I have even asked the top blenders their opinions. hehehe

The Castor is easy to get and it's BeNOL which you can get on Tower Hobbies even!

The synthetic is harder to come by and it's Mutol Micro 100% synthetic (meant to be mixed in R/C fuels).

These (2) oils are considered some of the best you can get.

I'm sticking to 30% nitro in all cases since there's no real reason to go less (I know how to tune and the heavier Savage will like it). That and the higher nitro content helps with cooling, but again caution and tuning experience is helpful

From here it's just a matter of getting the components and mixing it safely, then trying it out. Simple wasn't it?

Thanks for the info, can't wait to see the results... keep us posted...ive also considered blending my own,:drunk: but I'm to lazy to do it lol...

Thanks for the info, can't wait to see the results... keep us posted...ive also considered blending my own,:drunk: but I'm to lazy to do it lol...

$50 for a gallon of nitro has made me consider many things...hehehe.

If it works out how I think, then I will be able to blend a high-quality gallon of R/C fuel for half of what it normally sells for.

$50 for a gallon of nitro has made me consider many things...hehehe.

If it works out how I think, then I will be able to blend a high-quality gallon of R/C fuel for half of what it normally sells for.

There is a guy here in houston that blends nitro for RC cars planes boats ETC. it is half the price of the name brand stuff, i have heard nothing but good things about it, I'm still using up some fuel i bought.. but when i am out of the name brand I'm gonna give it a try...

here is a link to the local fuel guy website.
http://www.ritchsbrew.com/rb.html

There is a guy here in houston that blends nitro for RC cars planes boats ETC. it is half the price of the name brand stuff, i have heard nothing but good things about it, I'm still using up some fuel i bought.. but when i am out of the name brand I'm gonna give it a try...

here is a link to the local fuel guy website.
http://www.ritchsbrew.com/rb.html

I'm going to contact them thanks!

Just got back from my useless LHS who never has any HPI parts, anyways they had 30% nitro byrons Gen2 for 27.99$ a gallon.

A mod on RCU told me that there was *no* Byron's 30% being sold...I presented information to the contrary and that explains my presence here! haha

I like it way better here anyway.

A mod on RCU told me that there was *no* Byron's 30% being sold...I presented information to the contrary and that explains my presence here! haha

I like it way better here anyway.

Wierd considering ever shop in houston that carries byrons has 30% lol

i mean unless I'm retarded and cant read, witch is probably the case lol:retarded:

the local retard shop here told me trinty is not going to make 30% till the meth shortage stops. so i started running bryons

Major props for sharing this with us, go-to! :resp:

I'll be keeping up with this thread for sure...I wouldn't mind trying this myself, I can make the space for it.

I've learned that the better the quality of the oil package you use the less percentage you can safely run. There are guys running 8% oil safely. :werd:

I'm gonna mix 8%, 10%, and 12% oil and see what happens. I have an older Axial .28 that I can test on and wouldn't hurt my feelings to blow it.

The oil package I ended up on was 30% castor and 70% synthetic...this, to me, would provide the best mix of capabilities in each oil. Some will argue the percentages here, but this is my person opinion of the best mix to use (from extensive researching). I have even asked the top blenders their opinions. hehehe

The Castor is easy to get and it's BeNOL which you can get on Tower Hobbies even!

The synthetic is harder to come by and it's Mutol Micro 100% synthetic (meant to be mixed in R/C fuels).

These (2) oils are considered some of the best you can get.

I'm sticking to 30% nitro in all cases since there's no real reason to go less (I know how to tune and the heavier Savage will like it). That and the higher nitro content helps with cooling, but again caution and tuning experience is helpful

From here it's just a matter of getting the components and mixing it safely, then trying it out. Simple wasn't it?

Just random reply... I just read this thread thru. Bryons comes in 9% oil so its not odd to hear of 8 being used. I look foward to seeing what you come up with. As soon as I can no longer get it and I use up the case I have I'll be mixing my own. Also Byrons has stopped shipping. So what did you find? :resp:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just random reply... I just read this thread thru. Bryons comes in 9% oil so its not odd to hear of 8 being used. I look foward to seeing what you come up with. As soon as I can no longer get it aand I use up the case I have I'll be mixing my own. Also Bryons has stopped shipping. So what did you find? :resp:

The Byron's 30% I have notes 11% oil.

Byron's sent an e-mail to me directly saying they had no issues with shortage of nitro and were blending as usual...

Seems the story changes daily, but should I not trust what Byron's told me directly now? I dunno. I'll just continue buying fuel as I need it 'cause there's still no real issue for me until the price gets beyond reasonable. :coolkid01:

I am getting reports from a few sources that nitro isn't a problem to acquire. Makes you wonder...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Byron's 30% I have notes 11% oil.

Byron's sent an e-mail to me directly saying they had no issues with shortage of nitro and were blending as usual...

Seems the story changes daily, but should I not trust what Byron's told me directly now? I dunno. I'll just continue buying fuel as I need it 'cause there's still no real issue for me until the price gets beyond reasonable. :coolkid01:

I am getting reports from a few sources that nitro isn't a problem to acquire. Makes you wonder...
Cool yea the story I got was not do to the Nitro issues. I had pre ordered a case of 25 and one of 30 the LHS/track told me Byrons said not to expect it till late in the year.

On the 9% oil Gen 2 comes in two blends 9 and 11.... Just fyi the 9 is the "True" race blend and I have 30 % in both blends.

Thanks for the Quick reply! TTYL Go-To

Cool yea the story I got was not do to the Nitro issues. I had pre ordered a case of 25 and one of 30 the LHS/track told me Byrons said not to expect it till late in the year.

On the 9% oil Gen 2 comes in two blends 9 and 11.... Just fyi the 9 is the "True" race blend and I have 30 % in both blends.

Thanks for the Quick reply! TTYL Go-To

That's cool thanks for the info. :FarleyParty:

Members online

No members online now.
Back