Any Crawlers Out There?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whipnet

I have been debating getting a crawler to mess around in the backyard with.

I have found a couple of kits out there. An Axial AX10 Scorpion and a PTI Goliath Rock Crawler.

Any experienced crawlers out there? Any advice on the best? Motors used.

Would love to hear about your truck(s)

Thanks.

Good thread as after my wife and I went to RCX she wants to get into crawlers. It was funny too- strangers overheard us talking and said dude you have a great wife lol.
We like the Axial so far. I know they have a kit and RTR versions with a lot of upgrades available. HPI isn't out of the question either-we need more research.

Very cool 25, keep us updated on the conversion.

And I am leaning toward the Axial myself Pineapple. Is there an RTR version of that? It doesn't matter as whatever I get will be a kit.

I am looking into a good motor and esc. And possibly the 4 wheel steering conversion.

The gmade trucks are pretty cool but they are a lot more expensive. Isn't HPI bringing out a conversion kit to turn the wheely king into a crawler.

Yup right here. I've been building tube crawlers for a bit now. The axial kit is a good place to start. Much better than any other kit right now really and very upgradable. Check out www.rccrawler.com. You will see me there with the same screen name.

Thanks for the info and links guys! I think I am set on getting the Axial. See ya on those forums. :)

LOL, funny stumbling across this thread...Last night the desire for a crawler took me by surprise, and I spent hours looking at the WK and the 2 Axial kits.
I may just get the AX10 RTR, it looks like I could have plenty of n00b crawler fun without really doing anything to it.

I also noticed the RTR comes with stronger lockers and a slipper clutch that doesn't come in the kit...interesting.

I was planning on getting the kit, but now that I see their new RTR, I might have to reconsider.

It comes with 2 configurations. 1 for regular speed and 1 for crawling... and the upgrades mentioned above.

Even though I was planning on the build, I am swaying toward the RTR. I know I will replace most parts on it like my other trucks, so I'll get plenty of wrenchin' in.

the Axials are great starter crawlers but after you get out and actually run the rocks believe me it will hit you hard, i now have 4 of them..from scalers to my favorite tuber..i still love my nitros but it is a nice change to just charge and go....plus us old guys can catch a run away crawler....:Xfingers:

My wonderful wife hooked a brotha up today!!

Can't wait to get this baby going.

Any suggestions for motor / battery / servo? I've got the ESC and receiver figured out.

new-1.jpg

new-2.jpg

Saweeeeeet!!:10:
Got the kit instead anyways huh? Cool and have fun and please keep us informed on it-all aspects please-because I need to get one for my wonderful wife. :loveford:

I built mine out of a wheely king.
I am thinking of selling it tho. I don't use it much this year.
crwln5.jpg

crwln2.jpg

wt7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Saweeeeeet!!:10:
Got the kit instead anyways huh? Cool and have fun and please keep us informed on it-all aspects please-because I need to get one for my wonderful wife. :loveford:

Thanks pineapple!

Yep, after doing some more reading and consulting with the guys at rccrawler.com it was determined that the kit is a better truck. And I really wanted to build something new anyway.

Can't wait to "shred" my backyard at 5 mph. :jamout:

My wonderful wife hooked a brotha up today!!

Can't wait to get this baby going.

Any suggestions for motor / battery / servo? I've got the ESC and receiver figured out.

Save yourself some time and headaches while you're building it and use the mods outlined here: http://www.rccrawler.com/axialcompbuild.html

I built mine first and it was too top heavy. After I went through and changed things as per the above thread, it doesn't want to roll over nearly as bad.

Sweet! Thanks Pineapple. With our current exchange rate, those might be some expensive bodies, but cool none the less. Looks like you won't have to shave any extra off for the tires.

I've gotten mine about 1/2 built. Taking my time and enjoying every moment.

Good point- exchange rate didn't even cross my mind.
Maybe they will be offered here soon.
Have fun with your build!

Getting the motor and esc today. I will FINALLY be hitting the rocks.

almost-1.jpg

almost-2.jpg

almost-3.jpg

I'm asking 250 no rx/tx or esc. the servo and motor I will leave in there.
willing to entertain offers but this is a nice rig that performs really well and no one else has one like it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back