another wheely question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noogie

so my savage X 4.6rtr doesnt do wheelies.

Here is my info:
1. hpi polished pipe
2. 47 spur gear, 17 CB
3. 35wt silicone in the shocks
4. lowered with fuel tubing in the shocks
5. HSN tuned at 230f. if i lean it out half a revolution the engine chugs at wot. LSN at a quarter turn in
6. slipper is tight
7. using a hump pack
8. clutch shoes look good still

Anyone have any thoughts? The trucks screams up and down the street, but I would like to get the front up like some of the videos I have seen.

how new is the engine? if still new might get more power as it breaks in a bit more... 230 is lil cool still so should be able to go lil leaner turn hsn really really smal increments... and your lsn might be to rich still... barely turn it ..it might get it a lil crisper so it pulls the front up n over lol.if it don't do what you like ...can change to a larger sg and smaller cb...stock are very capable of wheelies though with a clean crisp tune..... good luck..

maxim,

I have about 4gl through the tank. Ill try leaning out the HSN a little 2moro. How do I know if I have leaned out the LSN too much? I usually refer to the 3sec pinch test for the LSN.

Jason

Change the HSN in 1/12 turn increments. I noticed you said it chugs at wot when you lean it a half turn. Thats cause a half turn is too much and your probably very close to a good tune. Try very small increments and run it for a little while between each change to see how it does. I would try the HSN before you mess with the LSN I have the k5.9 but it is finicky about the LSN and stalls when I let off if it is even the tiniest bit too lean.

Mike,

What I meant was that I tuned the HSN until the X started to chug at WOT then I backed out the HSN half a rotation

Ok but a half rotation back might have still been too far towards the rich side. Now try leaning it again in 1/12 turn increments to get that perfect tune. When your close to a good tune a half turn is a lot. You did right by richening a half to turn to be safe but now you can try leaning in tiny increments again to see if you can squeeze a little more power out of it. My XL has to be PERFECT to get good wheelies and not be so lean that it wants to stall or not get good top end. The k5.9 is a pain in the @$$. Many will agree with that but it is what I'm stuck with for now LOL!

so after following mikes recommendations, I still cannot get the front off the ground on the road. But, if i pull the savage onto the grass I cant keep the front on the ground.

If I turn the second gear screw all the way in I can pull wheelies on the road no problem. Any ideas why?

I also notice that the rear sags alot at launch. Is this b/c of the 35 wt I put into the shocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
bajaboy,

I looked at the glow plug and the bottom 2 coils do not light up. Is that considered a bad glow plug?

so after following mikes recommendations, I still cannot get the front off the ground on the road. But, if i pull the savage onto the grass I cant keep the front on the ground.

If I turn the second gear screw all the way in I can pull wheelies on the road no problem. Any ideas why?

I also notice that the rear sags alot at launch. Is this b/c of the 35 wt I put into the shocks?

You wrote:

This is clutch slipping #1 too much traction for the clutch also can be Tires.........

Then you put this:

For that id say you could be shifting to 2nd too fast...

As for the rear end sagging it could be oil and or spring rate and preload.

The more things you play with at a time can make trouble shooting much harder.

Bank,

ya i figured the traction was much better on the grass thats why I was able to get the front into the air. Ill try adjusting my shift point and see how that goes

No, what he meant was that the road surface has far more traction so your cltuch is slipping more and not pulling the front end up. The lack of traction in the grass is easier on your clutch so it is catching better. Also your slipper pad could be causing the same type thing. Tighten the screw down all the way on the spur gear but don't torque on it too hard cause I have heard of people bending that shaft. For example, if your slipper is too loose your truck wont even shift because your engine is spooling up but the rpms are not getting to the tranny because the slipper is spinning. Tighten that and make sure your clutch shoes are good and then it all depends on your engine tune.

No, what he meant was that the road surface has far more traction so your cltuch is slipping more and not pulling the front end up. The lack of traction in the grass is easier on your clutch so it is catching better. Also your slipper pad could be causing the same type thing. Tighten the screw down all the way on the spur gear but don't torque on it too hard cause I have heard of people bending that shaft. For example, if your slipper is too loose your truck wont even shift because your engine is spooling up but the rpms are not getting to the tranny because the slipper is spinning. Tighten that and make sure your clutch shoes are good and then it all depends on your engine tune.

good stuff right here...:resp:

Latest posts

Members online

Back