Another savage x

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk10

Hey everyone I'm now a member again I had a savage 25 probably 5 years ago and let it go and like everyone else who's got rid of them I got another one its used but I'm gonna be building it over the winter months a few things I'm looking for is to
Upgrade the steering setup. . What options do I have
Also it came with reverse I'm gonna get rid of that and put a 3 speed transmission in
Now the engine I'm looking at a lrp 32 z spec 2 what is a good pipe for this motor and where can I find a good solid one piece motor mount

Welcome back to the hobby.

And welcome to :hpisf: , great bunch of guys here and vast amounts of knowledge.

As far as the steering goes, I'm not much help there. ..I have the hpi suspension upgrade on both of my running savages. There are allot cheaper ways to do the same thing though. Maybe some more knowledgeable guys will chime in for you.

I think probably 95% of people remove the reverse so your probably doing the best thing there.

as far as the lrp. 32......I have the lrp .30 spec 2 in my xl, I love it runs great and easy to tune with plenty of power. The .32 may be a bit much for the savage 25 IMO but once again I'm sure some more will chime in.

as far as the motor mount I bought mine of ebay and have the integy heat sinked one....so far it works great and 1/2 the price of the hpi one.

looking forward to pics, vids, and a build thread

First off Welcome!! Who were you previously on this site, if you don't mind me asking?

There are four basic things to do to upgrade the steering.

1. Replace the bushings in the setup with bearings. 6x10x3mm bearings. Boca and Fast Eddy both make good bearings.
2. Tighten down that servo saver all the way (if not you will loose some steering feel and power)
3. Upgrade the servo to a unit that has metal gears and higher torque. Something like a Hitec HS-645MG is cheap and does very well.
4. Upgrade your receiver battery pack to a 5 cell hump pack. This will give you longer run times as well as provide more voltage to your steering and brake servos, making them more powerful.

Last edited:
This is my starting point

Looks plenty tough enough to start bashing it right away if ya ask me...... do upgrades as things give up and keep going

No this one I'm gonna have as a project through the winter months up here in north dakota it gets a little chilly
So I've got a slew of parts I've ordered up for it

I'm excited to start getting all my parts for it for 230 bucks I got the truck rtr with a ton of extra parts a hardbodyz roll cage a basically a new in now airtronics mt4 TX with telemetry

Nice start I have the same truck that I picked up used. I will be keeping a eye on your build.

I see ya have bigbores so I would recommend using 60 weight to start with and make sure the piston holes are small to slow down the shocks a bit that is if ya have spare pistons with your purchase, as for the diffs I just run heavy grease in mine and it works just fine for bashing. I have the 8 stock long shocks on mine and I have 40wt shock oil and may be going to heavier caz it bottoms and hops back up a bit.......

I've got the four big bore shocks
Also flm lcg extended tvp those are not xl tvps are they

to be truthful I cant tell what tvp's those are.... actually looks almost stock to me, got any close up pics maybe ?

No the ones that came on it are stock x tvps ..
I'm just looking for a new set of tvps I want the lcg but not sure about having them extended my motor will be here Friday hopefully I ordered the lrp 32

If you buy the ext lcg flm it comes with the longer dog bone. The tvps are longer than a stock savage but shorter than the xl frame by like 1/4" or something like that....a happy medium.

What outher goodies from flm would you say are a decent way to go. I wanna order all at once so I can ship them off to get coated

welcome back! as far as the steering, i'll agree with x. but in bearings, tighten the saver, and a hitec servo works great. also, get a hump pack, and I would put a new throttle servo in it, if u didn't already. as for the lrp, that's a great motor, I would use it. for a pipe, go with an ercm pipe, if ur willing to spend that. have fun with the build:)

What outher goodies from flm would you say are a decent way to go. I wanna order all at once so I can ship them off to get coated

I kinda went a little far with mine.....I did flm everything, all of which is top notch in quality.....I would definitely suggest 2 sets of their servo mounts, everything else just takes the durability out of the truck from what I'm told. I haven't had enough play time with it yet to say otherwise. So far the only things I have broken....were NOT flm pieces, but like i said i haven't got to hammer on it to much yet.

I'm thinking of getting the arm braces servo mounts tvps of course

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back