Another possible brake fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanQ

While troubleshooting my braking problems I wanted to share what I did to possibly fix it. First if you notice my brake rod https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5645 the rod is too far forward and the brakes just would not work. I thought I might have to replace the brake pads, but they only have about a gallon and a half through them. Although they did show some wear, they did not seem to be worn out to the point of replacement.

When I took the transmission out, there seemed to be a lot of play between the the brake rod and moving the brake piston out. So I shimmed the brake piston using 2.5mm e-clips (part #z241). The only reason why I used the e-clips is because I did not have any washers small enough and these fit very well. You can see the difference how the piston is sticking out a little further with 2 e-clips and without them. When everything was put back together, the brake rod was sticking straight up and almost all of the play was gone. I will test this out tomorrow and post an update how the brakes work.

A quick update. ran the truck around the front yard and on the street and the brakes grab much much better. Also learned it is important to set the throttle trim correctly because the brakes will drag significantly if trim is turned too far back. This is the first time I had the trim problem since I got the truck. tomorrow I am hoping to put it through a good bashing and I will see how the brakes hold up.

I just shimmed the brake pads with a couple washers on the screws and added some small pieces of spring to eliminate the drag on the disk.

jauq75.jpg

I don't see why not..... But I don't have them either so I'm not that familiar with them.

Latest posts

Members online

Back