Air filter problem Savage XL Octane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredrik.k

Bashing in mud / sand fills the air filter with sand and water and causes the motor to perform badly ...
Does anyone have any suggestions / upgrade on moving air filter to the center of the model ?? part number etc ...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bashing in mud / sand fills the air filter with poop and water and causes the motor to perform badly ...
Does anyone have any suggestions / upgrade on moving air filter to the center of the model ?? part number etc ...?
Most of us like the Motor Saver air filters on our Savage trucks, the Baja pre-filter should work fine.

I wouldn't use motor saver, since they're for nitro, and gas requires a bigger filter.( unless they make a 5th scale filter)

I would buy some outerwears. they are little covers that go over the filter. they are very effective.

Yeah, the filter is in a really nutty position. I decided not to upgrade my octane until it is broken in. I have However ordered a new air filter + outerwear that I intend to mount in the center. I expect the stuff to arrive any day. Will get back with more details on that.

I wouldn't use motor saver, since they're for nitro, and gas requires a bigger filter.( unless they make a 5th scale filter)

I would buy some outerwears. they are little covers that go over the filter. they are very effective.
@rcnut14 I've told you several times, the Savage Octane is NOT a 1/5th scale R/C nor does it run your typical 1/5th scale engines... maybe because it's NOT fifth scale.

The Savage Octane stock filter is similar found on any other Savage nitro power truck so I'm rather puzzled while you'd tell someone that a better motor saver filter would not be recommended, further the outwears filter is a Pre-Filter which is exactly what motor saver provides as well as an option. So what makes outwears more superior to motor savers?

I think rcnut14's argument is that the 1/8 Octane needs a 1/5 size nitro filter, since it's a gas engine, at least that was my interpretation of the post.

On the other hand I personally fully agree with your second part there, WoodiE ;)

@fredrik.k to get back on topic, another solution I've seen people use is mount the HPI Baja filter to the Savage Octane. This would also remove the need for the air filter tubing coupler allowing for less restrictive air flow.

I think rcnut14's argument is that the 1/8 Octane needs a 1/5 size nitro filter, since it's a gas engine, at least that was my interpretation of the post.

On the other hand I personally fully agree with your second part there, WoodiE ;)

1/5 scale NITRO???? Like what make or model???

Oh. I was not at all trying to show anyone up, just thought I had missed something!

id like to get my hands on one anyway. they look fun( hey, it's still a savage).
and griff, if u click under "discountinued kits", it's listed under "5th scale".

Having noticed these "reducing parts" in the air filter flow, I will wait with adjustments on mine until it is properly broken in and runs well.

But I guess the easiest way to "fix it" is to just place the standard filter right on top of the carb, just replacing the rubber hose with a short piece of straight hose.

@F-Type Let us know what you come up with! I am interested. I think we have about the same age octane. I have about a gallon through mine.

Btw, in this photo you can see the lid of the tank being a a normal bottle cap, simply because the original tank cap leakes gas when I turn the car upside down. It leaks through the air vent hole, is that normal? I thought there would be some kind of check valve inside to prevent leakage.

Mine leaks a bit. I would classify it more as a seep. It has covered the cylinder head at the bottom.. I say it is preventing premature corrosion!:woot:

I would be careful with gas covering the cylinder head. Gas is highly flammable ... :nailbite: ;)
That's my biggest worry in such a leak, the car flips over 100m away from me, gas leaks out and onto the hot cylinder head, and we have an american action movie IRL ;)

I took my cap apart and cleaned it, now it is perfectly tight again. Recommended solution ;)

Not overly concerned about my personal safety being threatened by a model catching fire that is at least 25 feet away. Besides that small amount of fuel has zero chance of catching fire when you consider the amount of air coming across the cooling head.

Personal safety? It's the car I'm worried about ;-)

With the car on its roof not much air is passing by, and with some bad luck all it takes is for a flame to track back to the tank.

How common is it with engine cars on fire?

I see your point. But for the record, I give zero thought for the well being of a dag gum model.. maybe just me, but I fuel em up and run em like a rental til they break...

Latest posts

Members online

Back