Adding another Steering servo on savage X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish Kahn

I was thinking about adding another steering servo to my Sav X to improve the steering.My buddy has a Traxxas Revo with 2 steering servos and I notice he has better handling and turning. Was wondering if anyone had ever tried it on an X and if so what parts were involved? Would I need to get a 3 chan. Radio/reciever or is there some sort of mixing module( maybe the one for reverse?) I could use with my origional HPI radio set up? It looks like it's possible with the extra spot for a servo in the radio box. I can figure out what linkages I would need to hook up to the steering arms I'm just not sure about the electronics end of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The revo has better handling and turning ability's all together, but is not near as tough as the Savy. Dual steering servos are a wast of time in my book. there are very strong servos to compensate for this. Also, when running duals they tend to fight each other and will drain your hump much quicker. I'm just not sure its worth your time.

If you want better turning ability upgrade your servo, do the bearing mod and do the turn radius mod in my Sig.

Welcome aboard by the way. We are glad to have ya part of this great place.

Good luck.

this isnt the first time i've heard dual steering servos is not worth the time and money (a beefy single servo is just as effective).

Welcome to the forum Catfish Kahn !

As has already been said,...... there really is no point trying to fit two servos. One good servo will always be better, and even if you could fit two, the servo saver on the Savvy just wouldn't cope !
The Revo has a much stronger servo saver, and the truck weighs less to start with. Two servos are a bit of an over kill IMO, and most Revo owners, especially racers, convert to a single more powerful servo set up.

Hope this helps.

As everyone else has mentioned, singer servo is all you need. For the price of 2 servo's you can get one really nice servo pretty much and be way better off IMO.

Sweet Thanks for all the info and opinions on this. I am glad I deceided to ask hee before spending the cash. I will more than likely take larsen's advice about the mods and stick with a single more powerful servo. Now the question is...... What would be a good servo to use?
As a newbie to my Savy I am going to have many many questions on the best ways to sweeten up my truck.
Thanks again to all for the replies and I am glad to be apart of this forum. I LOVE MY SAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as I was told eariler in the chat room.... Silly rabbit traxxas are for kids. I wouldn't trade my SAVY for anything.

Hopit pointed to a great one.

If you want to save a few bucks, the CS-170 is great and what I currently use.
CS-170 <--

Or the baddest mutha of them all for this sized vehicle, the JR DS8711
DS8711 <--

Wow....the hi tec is bullet proof enough....but the JR must be bomb proof !

the j.r. is a little more smooth than the hitech, but the hitech has a much stronger geartrain than the j.r.. and the hitech also seemed to be stronger feeling on my truck. the #'s don't tell you how durable the servo is. the hitech is better.

In testing after 60 seconds of run time the hitecs used to drop most of there ratings do to heat and the JRs did lose but way less of a percentage. The percentages were significant. I'll try to find the test sheets to show what I have posted. this comes form aircraft tests. Guys in giant scale aircraft wont touch a hi tec all (well most)JR

Last edited by a moderator:
whipnet do you have any specs on that hobbico servo?? I have an old KO Fet servo I used in my losi GTX years ago.. I'm sure that servo won't be up to the task for steering...maybe throttle/brake servo? Or should I just stick with a standard low amp draw servo?

whipnet do you have any specs on that hobbico servo??

INCLUDES: Standard Size Digital Ultra Torque Dual Ball Bearing Servo with
Titanium Gears and 10" (254mm) lead

SPECS: Speed: 6V = .15 sec
Torque: 6V = 333 oz-in (23.97 kg-cm)
Length: 1.59" (40.6mm)
Width: .79" (20.3mm)
Height: 1.5" (38.1mm)
Weight: 2.18oz (61.8g)
Lead Length: 10" (254mm)

thanks! those specs are almost identical to the hitec servo... or is the hobbico made by hitec?? Thanks again for the info

thanks! those specs are almost identical to the hitec servo... or is the hobbico made by hitec?? Thanks again for the info

This servo is made by Command Servos. Maybe they make the Hitec one too.

ahh good info... hmm that hobbico is a good price considering the hitec is about $40 more thanks for the info ... probably will have to scoop that one up.

Yes made by Command Digital Great Servo for the money!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back