About how much $$ to make a Savage a Racer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattholew

I raced for the first time this weekend with my Traxxas Slash. It was a ton of fun, but I watching the moster trucks race, buggies and truggies, I want to try the more exciting nitro racing. So I thought to myself, instead of dropping $1500 getting a buggy ready to race, why not make your Savage XL a racer for the monster truck class.

Now being a rookie to racing I don't know anything at all of what I would need to do this, so I was hoping some of you could enlighten me as to what it would take and how much it would cost to bring the XL up to race standards, what is legal, etc etc.

So could you Savage racers chime in here and give me some info.

Thanks.

well unfortunately i know nothing about racing and what would be legal but i wanted to take the time to welcome u to the forum..

I know some people are going to shun me but here's my 2 cents.

You can turn a Savage into a racer but it is a monster truck and it was made for bashing. By the time you buy the truck, all the suspension upgrades, better motor, tires, chassis, etc. you will have easily spent $1,000.

Here's my point. For around $500 bucks you could get an AE RC8 or a Losi 8ight. Then you get the engine and radio gear for about $200-$300. Right there you have a championship worthy buggy for cheaper than a savage. Find out what most of the guys race at your track. If most race buggies then it may be a smart choice. If alot of people race MT's then a savage may be a good option as well. The savage is by far my favorite RC out there but I figured you may find this info about buggies to be useful as well. Bottom line is converting a Savage into a full blown racer can be pricey.

Links-

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...tory-Team-RC8B-4WD-Off-Road-Buggy-Kit-Updated
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product.../Team-Losi-8IGHT-20-1-8-4WD-Buggy-Race-Roller

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some people are going to shun me but here's my 2 cents.

You can turn a Savage into a racer but it is a monster truck and it was made for bashing. By the time you buy all the truck, suspension upgrades, better motor, tires, chassis, etc. you will have easily spent $1,000.

i agree w/Fx, heres my racer of choice http://storefront.smfstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=2142

sitting quietly in its original box right now but will see the track some day.

imho you don't need a race setup truck to be fast, as long as you keep it on all 4's and stay smooth then you could be just as good as any other driver and yes the upgrades are really nice for racing if thats all the truck is gonna be used for. just my .02

eric....

p.s. most setup there trucks for both bash/race so you don't have to really worry about a 2nd truck for just bashing.

I have about 1200 in one of mine and it will out bash most and pwn on the track. I dint build it to race though. last year I raced a lesser truck with good results. that price tag is every thing servos N the works 350 is mill is tx.. 250 is servos. So all in all not much in the savage. Its is set up like sams that Fred posted above.

if you are set on racing but don't already own a savage xl, i would be really looking at the hot bodies d8t truggy i race one and it has held up awsome and won me events, with a good motor and servo's backed with a good radio its the cheapest start up that can win events and unlike a monster truck it is designed to handle, jump and enjoy right out of the box and if things go whoops, its cheap on parts.

if your heart is set on a race bred truck or where to start building one just pm me and i will be ready to help....savage sam out

Let's just say to get a savage a good racer isn't the cheapest way. Total my truck is around $1000 into it andthats just a guess, I know it has more into it.

The must haves IMO for racing is the HPI racing suspension conversion, good pipe, good servos and depending on the track a good tvp set. Also tires and wheels...

SAVAGE racer

First, lets not compare a SAVAGE to a buggy. Ok, maybe my SB SAVAGE. But, my X would crush a buggy and break it's pretty little wing off.

Second, what kind of racing do you want to do? No Limit style monster truck racing or off-road track? Or maybe a SAVAGE SLAM (no buggies there either). Is it a track that you would actually need a 3-speed? A 16T clutch w/ a 47T metal spur on a 2 speed trans is optimum. Stock SAVAGE engines have plenty of power, so maybe check into the fuel you are using. Remember, slow is fast sometimes.

Third, why all the expensive upgrades? RPM arms come with a 0 & -2 upper arm. HPI also makes an adjustable upper arm. ( -2 in front and 0 in rear is what I was taught by the Chan Man). Stock shocks are the best from what I have seen. It will take some time to dial it to your driving style, but it will be well worth the wait. Try staggering you shocks with different weight silicone oil and spring rates. (Use a silver sharpie to write the weight on the shock caps.) It is possible to have used 3 -4 different weight oils and 2-4 different spring rates. This should have lowered your SAVAGE 1-2 inches.

Please don't think that I am trying to upset anyone here. In traveling the country I have met and talked with a lot of hobby shop people and racers who say that a SAVAGE cannot be a race truck. I have a SB SAVAGE that eats REVOs for lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the feedback yall. I have decided to just keep the XL pretty much stock, its such a GREAT basher smasher bo dasher the way it is. Gonna just race the Slash Spec for now and have fun with the Savvy!

First, lets not compare a SAVAGE to a buggy. Ok, maybe my SB SAVAGE. But, my X would crush a buggy and break it's pretty little wing off.

Second, what kind of racing do you want to do? No Limit style monster truck racing or off-road track? Or maybe a SAVAGE SLAM (no buggies there either). Is it a track that you would actually need a 3-speed? A 16T clutch w/ a 47T metal spur on a 2 speed trans is optimum. Stock SAVAGE engines have plenty of power, so maybe check into the fuel you are using. Remember, slow is fast sometimes.

Third, why all the expensive upgrades? RPM arms come with a 0 & -2 upper arm. HPI also makes an adjustable upper arm. ( -2 in front and 0 in rear is what I was taught by the Chan Man). Stock shocks are the best from what I have seen. It will take some time to dial it to your driving style, but it will be well worth the wait. Try staggering you shocks with different weight silicone oil and spring rates. (Use a silver sharpie to write the weight on the shock caps.) It is possible to have used 3 -4 different weight oils and 2-4 different spring rates. This should have lowered your SAVAGE 1-2 inches.

Please don't think that I am trying to upset anyone here. In traveling the country I have met and talked with a lot of hobby shop people and racers who say that a SAVAGE cannot be a race truck. I have a SB SAVAGE that eats REVOs for lunch.

All the other upgrades come in if your going to compete in truggy class as MT class is dead. You don't need much for No-limit 4 sure.
--------------------------------------------

@ Matt
If you want to race the XL look into No-limit. You wont need much more than nitro to compete if you can drive.

First, lets not compare a SAVAGE to a buggy.

naw thats just it bro, we agree with ya. savage don't compare to buggy for track racing. buggy is cheaper to set up race and will own a savage.

but thats only for track racing, not no-limit style of course.

Latest posts

Members online

Back