A real newbie Savage X SS question! Flywheel, clutch and brakes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heshup

Savage X SS

Need to know just how tight one should do the pilot nut for the flywheel.

On the clutch I bought the Nova shoes and Mugen springs and using the stock flywheel and clutch bell. Need to know do I use the spacers under the shoes. Spacer under the bottom clutch bell bearing? I have about 3.00mm of crankshaft above the clutch bell. I take it the clutch bell should turn freely. Everything I use to take up the space on the crankshaft keeps the clutch bell from turning freely.

How do I adjust the brake shoes?

The limited man-u-well :shocked: gives little to no info on these things.

Thanks.

I don't know about the clutch shoes because I don't have them I would tell u to put them on and c how they work I can tell u the nut on the flywhell needs 2 b pretty tight u don't want that backing off on u

I am at a stand still with the engine. I have no clue about the Clutchbell installtion. When I go by the instructions it just don't feel right. You know when you do something you feel good about it or you don't.

The way they tell it as far as the parts I have no problem with

1: Flywheel
2: Pilot nut
3: Washer under each shoe (Nova shoes)
4: Shoes X 3
5: Washer
6: Bearing
7: Clutch Bell
8: Bearing
9: Spacer
or
10: 5 washers
11: Binderhead screw

Ok, so that is cool I understand all that.

What I don't understand is if I use the spacer then the spacer is not to the top of the crankshaft. If I use the the 5 washers then they are not at the top of the crankshaft. If I use a combo of both spacer and washers then when I tighen down the screw then the clutch bell housing will not turn freely or at all. If I use only the spacer or the washers then run the screw down then the CB will slide up and down on the crankshaft.

If I use a combo of both washers/spacer and then just run the screw down till It just touches the washers/spacer then when I turn the CB I see that the washers/spacer are turning at the same time. This cannot be good and the cb is not turning freely.

So till I get this figured out I be at a stand still for this step. Will search the web in hope to find some info or even a good video on this would be cool. What I will not do is trial and error. Why tear it up?

runoverbysavage
Thanks for the info on the pilot nut. Will have to get a tool in the AM to get that tight.

Thanks.

use a 10mm deep socket for that nut: Yea something does it seem right if the clutch bell doesn't turn freely is there anyway u could post a pic or something?????

The pilot nut needs to be tight so the flywheel doesn't slip. The installation should go as follows

Spacers on the crankshaft to ensure a tight flywheel, if memory serves me right I think I used two on my 4.6
Collet
flywheel
pilot nut
clutch shoes/springs
clutch bell
just enough spacers to get to the end of the shaft...they cannot go past the end of the shaft or it will put a bind on the clutch bell, it's ok to have a little play between the clutch bell and the screw that hols it on but can't be tight(sounds like your problem). When I say a little play I mean very little.

To get the pilot nut tight you will need a piston locking tool or roll the piston to BDC and flood the top of the cylinder through the exhaust with ARO to hydro lock it, when your done pore the ARO out of the exhaust.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back