$50 Savage X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfpmax

So one day I was checking the Toys section of craigslist, after all I had purchased my first Savage off of there,when I saw an ad that just said "$50 RC cars", so my interest is piqued right off the bat. Of course i'm thinking they are probably Radioshack quality cars or just junk, but when I opened the page I saw two things...some old OLD vintage RC car I didn't recognize....and a purple heatsink head...I recognized that immediately. I think I waited a day or less before emailing and arranged to pick them up. It was indeed a Savage X and the other was a Kyosho car of some sort. I figure at the very least I just paid $50 for spare parts for my other Savage right?

b0eaa7ca.jpg

When I got it I looked it over real quick to see how much was there, all the important bits were so got it home for closer inspection. It included stock wheels...and some traxxas suspension arms? Guess the guy had one of those too but already sold it or something.
b2f1a4f0.jpg

2a88f34c.jpg

9e1937be.jpg

That's when I got to see what was wrong. Don't know how it happened, but the suspension was damage on opposite ends of the vehicle, with the pins coming out of the case which isn't uncommon, but looking closer and seeing the bent upper arms and several of the shocks also being bent, with their caps ready to come off. Guess they had fun with this one on the last outing. Couldn't get the engine to turn over either, will have to work on that later.

So the first things i'm gonna need to do is get new arms and since it's a first gen Savage X, probably some TVPs as well...hmm...I think i'll see if I can get some FLM EXT CG ones!

So onto the tearing it down and pouring my money into the toilet.

As expected, the TVP was damaged at the typical weak point.
007beabe.jpg

New upper and lower arms and pins came in and put them on. Do you see what I see!
52d50c5b.jpg

635ceeb1.jpg

Oh a bonus, aluminum diff cups...and...lots of sand inside the housing. I noticed one of the diffs didn't move quite right...in fact...it was locked. It was the first one I had apart so I thought maybe they bought lockers for it...but nope, they didn't. More on that later.
de9d8b87.jpg

f4030cbb.jpg

Spun the spur gear on the transmission and didn't like the sound it was making and decided to see what was going on in thar. But in the end it was more for curiosity because while searching for replacement gears I ran across a complete 3 speed trans instead and bought it.

04e8d9e2.jpg

50ffc5ef.jpg

d651be4a.jpg

When I pulled the diffs out and opened the one that was locked I was greeted by this...
ad636464.jpg

9597a201.jpg

After the bevel kit came in along with the diff oil I reassembled the broken diff and inspected and filled the good diff.
739cb817.jpg

The engine before I pulled the back plate off. Wouldn't turn over, and probably had been sitting for quite a bit. But got it to spin over after some work and feels like it's probably still good. But ultimately would like another engine at a later date since my first savage has a .32 in it.
b071fdc0.jpg

i say 50$ savage was noobed then said noob was like french toast that dumped it like his ex gf lol good luck on this venture

Except that I wanted to have two trucks...as if one wasn't enough :whipit: punishment. So I ordered the FLM TVP...but...figured heck, if I don't want to, I can always use it on the other Savage. Also tossed on one of the new sets of tires I picked up awhile ago, the green Maximizers are on sale, guess nobody likes bright green, these mounted with some Road Rage 3.2s I found in at an LHS that was closing up shop, and got another set with Badlands on them.

da395148.jpg

b9bd5c58.jpg

33e63e4c.jpg

Ordered a Traxxas radio box and Ofna tank and posts, going to make another DIY plate to mount the tank to like I did on my other Savage. Also picked up a stock pipe since I needed the hanger parts, the hanger parts themselves are $7...pipe with hanger $9.
09ad6bb1.jpg

21989fcc.jpg

Tossing on the Integy HD rear carriers and HPI 17mm Hex Hubs. Also put on the plastic Big Bores.
67cacf3e.jpg

c52ed295.jpg

And almost a completely new truck again...not good when the cost of the truck is less than the parts on it. money man
241284ea.jpg

2885e397.jpg

4e2ff2cc.jpg

No clue when i'll try to actually get it running...or just let it sit and buy a better engine for it instead of trying to make the original one work. But also thought about just taking the .32 out of the old truck and putting it in this chassis.

At one point I had four of them. Now i have one full carbon X and a full carbon Flux and I use nothing ... Waste of space.

At one point I had four of them. Now i have one full carbon X and a full carbon Flux and I use nothing ... Waste of space.

your crazy tho (Hey buddy good to see ya around) :peace:

Truck looks good, i like the looks of the tire combo! FLM have great parts, although ive grown to hate there customer service. great looking build. get a good motor in there like an LRP or a picco, and you will have tons of fun!

your crazy tho (Hey buddy good to see ya around) :peace:

Truck looks good, i like the looks of the tire combo! FLM have great parts, although ive grown to hate there customer service. great looking build. get a good motor in there like an LRP or a picco, and you will have tons of fun!

Seeing your FLM builds made me want one too!:rock1:

Paper then cardboard template for the fuel tank plate
IMG_0113b.jpg

Test fitting and final fitting
IMG_0114b.jpg

IMG_0117b.jpg

And checking how the post on the Ofna 250 tank are gonna sit.
IMG_0120b.jpg

IMG_0119b.jpg

And daylight pictures of the rolling chassis
IMG_0104b.jpg

IMG_0102b.jpg

And some pictures with it's older brother
IMG_0087b.jpg

IMG_0088b.jpg

IMG_0107b.jpg

Yeah I guess it is blacked out. didn't plan it that way, but dyed the Maximizers since the ones on sale all came green, but I wanted black. So I just dyed them...dark green LOL

3rd time's a charm? Guess forum server backups were used recently. So...Losi battery tray. Flat pack.
a14dcd23.jpg

And $50 Axial .32
430504a2.jpg

4080a6a3.jpg

ca04d6ed.jpg

653fcc2c.jpg

9e072314.jpg

nice build, glad you shared!!!!!

Dang man this truck looks sick! My savvy has been collecting dust since the LHS shut down and I got a Baja 5T. Can't get nitro fuel and glow plugs locally anymore. Seeing this makes me want to get mine back out and revive it.

Great rebuild ,I'm the same way, I don't really buy new cz I no I'm gona be up grading things ,what ever happin with the engine did you get to run

some good wrenching skills there HPISF family , and a great looken model.You could do an entire thread on the battery tray...love to see it , thanks for all the pics

I really like the battery setup u should do a write up on it with part numbers and such sweet find sweet build

Great rebuild ,I'm the same way, I don't really buy new cz I no I'm gona be up grading things ,what ever happin with the engine did you get to run

Nope, got busy with some other stuff, had planned to get it running before X-mas but couldn't.

nice build. nice touch on the batt
Thanks

some good wrenching skills there HPISF family , and a great looken model.You could do an entire thread on the battery tray...love to see it , thanks for all the pics
Ha, not really, it'd be "cut piece of metal, drill holes, counter sink holes, mount to side of chassis, order Losi battery tray, install battery".

I really like the battery setup u should do a write up on it with part numbers and such sweet find sweet build

No part #s, but it's a Losi battery tray from the Losi 1/8th scale monster trucks. Can get them separate of the battery or both together.

Took a year, but got it running.

[video=youtube;ZaTZM9MQYOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaTZM9MQYOI[/video]

what part numbers did you use and from who to build that pack? At least you have it runnin now.

]-[0pa]0ng;207551 said:
what part numbers did you use and from who to build that pack? At least you have it runnin now.

No clue on the part #s for the pack. It's a LOSI battery pack I looked on Ebay again and it's still the same as when I looked. Both the battery and holder are from a LOSI Monster truck.

The seller I bought it from still sells them as XXL battery reciever pack.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/showthread.php?t=18013
This member also used the same setup, I think I got the idea from him originally anyway.

Painted my first body, not really finished though. Got it running a few more times but can't get a good tune on the carb to keep it running....only for the rotostart to start acting up and not engaging. Oh well, at least it ain't broke. Couldn't even really test out the wheelie bar I made.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

Not to be mean or nuthin but that wheelie bar looks a lil weak for a 14lb truck. Nice recon shell but it is beggin for a camo paint job too much green and grey.....

I wanted a more "civilian" paint job for the body. Not a fan of camo. Not to mention way easier for a first time paint job LOL.

As for the wheelie bar, if it breaks it breaks. Didn't cost me nothing to make...well it cost me $1 for the truck the wheels came from:bling:

Latest posts

Members online

Back