4.6 savage x starting problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenewguy

i have a savage x that i need help trouble shooting. it has the roto start on it and when cranking it is really hit and miss. when trying to crank it will only turn the engine over a couple of times a second like the oneway berring is only work some of the time. does anyone know if this is a problem with the berring or the shaft?

Your OWB is shot. It needs replaced. That is a common problem from usin the roto start. I'd suggest dumpin the roto and switchin to a pull start. If you have the motor primed right, a good plug, and plug igniter has a good charge and it'll start right up on the second or third pull. Hope this helps.

Fuel also plays a big part to! High oil content fuels like traxxas will wear out a owb! I made the swap from traxxas 20% to werks 30% an have had no owb issues since an i use nothing but rotostarts!

also i w talking to a guy in chat he said that it might be starter shaft?
but ive noticed that if i use a drill at lower rpm(roto battery died) it cranks a lot more?????do this help at all?

Byrons is good stuff from what i hear. I used to lightly scuff up the shaft so the owb would grip a little better! I would go ahead an change out the owb!

Byron's fuel is the only fuel I'm gonna use from now on. My LHS used to carry it, but they are closed now so I have to order it online. Luckily my buddy runs the same fuel so we're gonna split the cost 50/50 and each get 2 gals. Ever since I started usin Byrons, my motor ran so much better. Also, my motor sat for almost a yr while doin a full rebuild and cuz of work (I was workin out of town) and without putting after-run oil in it, it cranked right up. I was surprised it was seized up.

try carrying the truck from the back bumper and wile its still hot stand it on its front bumper so all the oil can drain out of the OWB

I changed from roto start to pull, after changing the OWB a couple of times. if tuned right it starts easy and one less battery to worry about.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNFZ4&P=ML

This is my solution. I have had this OWB in my Tower terror since it first came out. I use a corded power drill to start it. Practically indestructible. I have a few extras I plan on mounting on my Savages when the OWB dies. It's ten bucks instead of twenty to twenty-five for the HPI or O.S. Pull starts are for the birds if you ask me. Especially love that feeling you get when the string breaks.

Latest posts

Members online

Back