4.6 low temps on break in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowping

I finally got a nice, sunny day to break in the savage the other day, but I ran into some problems.

With the stock needle settings (flush), the engine was very rich, with lots of fuel coming out of the pipe, and the temps never got about 128, with foil on the heatsink.

We then decided to lean out the HSN to try to get the temps closer to 200. Leaning the HSN to the maximum allowable according to the manual (2.5 turns from groove), the engine was still quite rich, and temps got around 140.

My question is, should i keep leaning the HSN? what about the low speed?. Ive also heard of using a hair dryer to make sure it gets to 200 during idle. Should i start over with different settings? Not sure where to go from here. Also, i think i went through 3-4 tanks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

(2.5 turns from groove]thats 2.5 turns from being closed is that what your saying.i would start over.

Agree you want it to get to roughly 200-215*F. Make sure your gun is set and reading F not C.

What is your ambient temp. You can also use a thin ring around the top of the head of tin foil to help bring the temps up.

a friend was helping me, and we used his heat gun, as well as mine and had the same temps, maybe a degree or so off.

the 2.5 turns is leaning, so 2.5 turns clockwise (downwards), so I'm guessing it is possible that its nearly closed.

the ambient temperature that day was roughly 20 C, and we kept it in the sun.

I'm thinking of starting over, returning to the stock needle settings, and using the driving method to get the engine up to temps.

Latest posts

Members online

Back