4.6 hard to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher_Ed

Yesterday, my X was running fine. Today I noticed that the idle was low and it would idle for about 10 seconds and die. I adjusted the idle trim and that problem was solved. The other problem is that even after running fine it is hard to restart. It takes several attempts before it restarts. Once it is running it runs fine. What can be causing the hard start?

Please forgive me, but this if my first nitro truck. I put a new glow plug in about 2 weeks ago. How long should they last?

That's according to how much you run or have that ignitor plugged up to it. I've had them go out the same day when trying to get a un-tuned engine running. If you have had it in for two weeks you've probably gotten your $ out of it.

I run it every day (so far) and mess with it constantly. I also run rich with results in a wet glow plug. I'm more concerned with making the engine last. I just tried to start it and it would not turn. When I removed the glow plug and turned the engine, fuel shot every place. One of my glow plugs doesn't glow at all, and the other only the first coil or two glow.

Are there any brands of glow plugs that are better than others (I believe that you get what you pay for)? I would spend a little more for better glow plugs.

I run traxxas plugs...I've seen plugs go for 9,10 bucks a pop and more..Jus not willing to spend the $ on something thats pretty much a disposable item. I couldn't recommend a "better" plug because I don't know. I've used the McCoy plugs with the same result as the traxxas plugs...and they're one of the more pricey brands.

I certainly understand that. I would spend the coin if it were truly a bertter plug (longer lasting), but not simply because of the brand.

Yea..I haven't seen one last longer than the other. Maybe someone else has some exp with a better plug. Your fast with the post!! Lol. Hope I was able to help you.

I'm sitting here waiting on my wife to get back so I can go to the LHS and pick up some glow plugs. I'm hoping to get some playtime in before it rains.

I use McCoy plugs with great success. try an mc59 in ur savage. they only cost about 4 or 5 bux and havin a spare is always good. also running really rich will help the plug to foul out and fail.
just run the truck with a nu plug and try to set the high end so it is not too rich or lean..... I have had glow plugs last a full season and still be fine for the next..... it all depends how rich/lean you are running the engine, there is no magic setting for the needles cause of different geographic areas, is whatever works for the place u are running

I got this truck used with no instructions. Which is the LSN, and which direction leans it out a bit?

ya buddy the McCoy plugs are great!! they seem to even improve how the engine runs, no kidding!! I'm running one now and will never use another brand again!! I'm sure the traxxas ones are fine to,i wasnt dumping on them just adding my experienece with the McCoy's

I picked up some O'Donnels glow plugs, but will order some McCoy's. Even with a fresh glow plug it's still a little hard to start. I was looking at the idle gap and need to know how big gap should it be.

I'm also assuming that the HSN and LSN have nothing to do with staring the truck and only come into play once the engine is running.

I picked up some O'Donnels glow plugs, but will order some McCoy's. Even with a fresh glow plug it's still a little hard to start. I was looking at the idle gap and need to know how big gap should it be.

idle gap should be around 1mm or a bit more, just enough that it doesnt stall when braking..........

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back