4.6 break in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macattie88

I'm going to break in my 4.6 tomm , should i go with the method in the manual or the heat cycle method?....any input will be appreciated.

My opinion on this subject is, follow the instructions given by mfg.

why?

If something goes qrong the first ? from the mfg. will be.

"did you follow the break in instructions?"

you have a warranty

I followed the manual for the break in on my savage. I tried the heat cycle method from Rick Brake's website on my hellfire. I think the heat cycle method worked out better. Seems to put less stress on the engine while actually breaking it in quicker. 2 of the LHS guys also recommended the heat cycle method.

I broke in mine via Stephen Bess Heat Cycle Method. Got almost one/half gallon through it so far after break in with no problems and it runs like a banshee. Of course it may just be beginners luck.

i honestly like the heat cycle method as well but using it could void your warranty so i guess its up to you!!

I'm also breaking in a new Savage 4.6. I have a thread up called "Trouble starting out of the box". I've been following manufacturer specs and things are finally going smooth. I had some issues at first with hydrolock, and getting the motor to turn over since the motor is really tight when it's new, but with all of the help from the guys on this forum and a friend of mine, I had a full tank through in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tunned one last weekend and followed the instructions when done it took 3 adjustments on the hsn to the 3 oclock position going at one hour at a time to start wheeling and flipping over at 220 deg f.... Seems to work for me!

Latest posts

Members online

Back