3 speed trans tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragger

Hi guys.
I just bought 3 speed trany kit for my savage xss,during build it up(trany) i wonder?
Is there any easy way to adjust shift point 1to2 nd gear?.
I know there is easy to adjust shift point 2to3 th gear.(can be adjust from out side trany case)
My question is do i have take out the gear from trany case just to adjust shift point 1st to 2 nd gear?Oh man that is a lot of work ...:dunno:
Is there any easy way to do it ? help......sorry bad english:duh:

Nope there really is no easy way, You must take the tranny apart to get to the 1to2 gear shift point .. sorry for the bad news

3speed tune

Nope there really is no easy way, You must take the tranny apart to get to the 1to2 gear shift point .. sorry for the bad news
Thank you for your reply SJ,i will take it for run tomorrow.
Is that the factory setting shift point is good enough?

Thank You

The XSS has an "easy access" transmission case. You just have to... push the air filter aside. Then remove the pipe from it's forward mount. On each side of the truck there are 4 screws that go throught the TVP's and into the Transmission. Remove the 2 top screws on each side. Next, there are three screws that hold the top section of the transmission case to the main body of the transmission. Remove them. You may need to remove the throttle linkage from the carburetor. You should now be able to lift the top of the transmission out of the truck, spur gear/slipper clutch and all. Set it aside. The gearset that you need to adjust will lift right out next.

I have this process memorized - LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
3speed tune

The XSS has an "easy access" transmission case. You just have to... push the air filter aside. Then remove the pipe from it's forward mount. On each side of the truck there are 4 screws that go throught the TVP's and into the Transmission. Remove the 2 top screws on each side. Next, there a three screws that hold the top section of the transmission case to the main body of the transmission. Remove them. You may need to remove the throttle linkage from the carburetor. You should now be able to lift the top of the transmission out of the truck, spur gear/slipper clutch and all. Set it aside. The gearset that you need to adjust will lift right out next.

I have this process memorized - LOL.

Thank you Crusader,I took her for run yesterday.
The stock setting is realy weak ( shift to early) i took out gear to set 3-4 times.
The shift 2to3 gear spring is seem to soft i allready tightened spring all the way down ,but still shift to early .(i think spring is to soft)
Do i have to replace springwith harder one .Thank you.:duh:

To add on to what crusader said, After taking out that assembly you will need to take of a snap ring to allow you to disassemble the gears. You will find a clutch for the third gear to one side, then the third gear, then second gear then the second gear clutch (the one you want to adjust).

edit: you beat me to it, apparently you've already been in there :)

To add on to what crusader said, After taking out that assembly you will need to take of a snap ring to allow you to disassemble the gears. You will find a clutch for the third gear to one side, then the third gear, then second gear then the second gear clutch (the one you want to adjust).

edit: you beat me to it, apparently you've already been in there :)

hhmmmmm ... remove a snap ring? When I make the 1-2 adjustment, first I remove the 2-3 clutch (2mm hex required) from the shaft. To remove the 2-3 clutch, remove the hex set screw and the hex shaft screw that is then exposed under the hex set screw. Now the 2-3 clutch will slide off the shaft. Removing the 2-3 clutch will allow the 38 tooth gear & it's bearing to slide off next. This, in turn, allows the 41 tooth gear to slide off the shaft. It's bearing does not need to be removed. With the 41 tooth gear out of the way, you can now adjust the 1-2 clutch. :cheers:

Dragger - if you have the 2-3 adjustment screw turned all the way in, the truck will not shift into third gear ... ever. The engine simply cannot spin the transmission fast enough. Are you certain that you are turning the adjustment screw and not the locking set screw? They are right next to each other, lol.

As far as spring tension goes, HPI makes a Heavy Duty clutch for the 2-Speed transmission. It uses a different clutch. That clutch may have a stiffer spring in it - I'm not sure. It can't hurt to try different things! Experimenting with different parts combinations is half the fun in this hobby!! :rock:

3speed tune

Hi thank you for reply guys.
Regarding the 2-3 gear clutch adjustment i am sure that i tightened the set screw the one that for adjust the spring,and i tightenend all the in (can see set screw go deep in side)
But still shift early,and i am sure that shift to 3th gear.
Now 1-2 is good enough ,but 2-3 shift early i can tell exactly from the sound.
Well i will try ,and enjoy this game.
Thank you for the information,Happy new year dude....:jamout:

Latest posts

Members online

Back