3-speed tranny setting help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJC

OK guys I have a stock K 4.6 from my Savage X SS KIT. Could you guys recommend a good shift point for me? I'm having a hard time getting this thing to shift properly. I would like to shift from first to second allowing first to wind up in RPMs a little before shifting into second and the same for third. I had it set for second at 3 turns in and third 5. But I found that I was really pushing the limit from first to second then shift into third way to soon. Know I have it set for second at 2.5 turns and third at 4.5 turns. I can't check the shifting now because of the ran. Well any help would be great. I just would like to not shift through the gears so soon.

OK I had similar issues with my XL right out of the box. For some reason the stock settings according to the manual were not working, second gear had more tension than third so it was never using second at all. It sounds like you have it close, but keep in mind your carb settings also affect shifting because of your RPM capability so if you make changes to your carb sometimes the transmission will need a little adjusting too. If you have your motor running the way you want it to, the best way I can suggest to do this is to adjust your gears 1/4 turn at a time. Clockwise shifts later, and counter-clockwise shifts sooner. Third is easy since it can be done while the tranny is installed unless yours differs from the XL for some reason. I had to get back into mine like three or four times before I got it just right so try not to go by any suggested settings because I didn't figure out mine were so far off until I actually pushed on the little clutch shoe for each gear and realized how much tighter second was than third, and that was at the "factory" settings from the manual! LOL!

OK I had similar issues with my XL right out of the box. For some reason the stock settings according to the manual were not working, second gear had more tension than third so it was never using second at all. It sounds like you have it close, but keep in mind your carb settings also affect shifting because of your RPM capability so if you make changes to your carb sometimes the transmission will need a little adjusting too. If you have your motor running the way you want it to, the best way I can suggest to do this is to adjust your gears 1/4 turn at a time. Clockwise shifts later, and counter-clockwise shifts sooner. Third is easy since it can be done while the tranny is installed unless yours differs from the XL for some reason. I had to get back into mine like three or four times before I got it just right so try not to go by any suggested settings because I didn't figure out mine were so far off until I actually pushed on the little clutch shoe for each gear and realized how much tighter second was than third, and that was at the "factory" settings from the manual! LOL!

Cool thanks a lot. I just finished putting everything back together. I also had to adjust my LSN and Idle screw due to the weather conditions here. I'll take my time and check this weekend. Thanks for your help. BTW is that an emerald green tree python or emerald green tree Boa? I had a red tail but she got so big I had to give her to a great guy who was able to take her in. Wish I still had her, snakes are cool going to get a ghost or fire ball python when I get the cash. There a little more manageable then my red tail.

On second look I think it's a green tree python. can tell buy the pits

That's right, it is a Green Tree Python (Morelia Viridis) from Papua New Guinea. That one is a male Aru Island phase and is almost 5' which is pretty huge for a male. The Emerald Tree Boas from South America have larger and more numerous heat pits in the lips. I personally don't care for the look of ETB's, and think the GTP's are way cooler. Plus GTP's have many more color morphs than ETB's

Ya that's a great pic of your snake. I want another one so bad my boa got to big. Not big for me just ran out of room and could not fit a large enough enclosure in my condo for her. She was 12.5 feet about 70 pounds hated to let her go. As long as the guy I gave her to is taking good care of her then I don't mind. He had a lot of snakes and seemed to love them as I do so I felt good about it.

ya a friend of mine has a boa thats like 14 feet long but she doesnt come out of her enclosure anymore as she's way to much to handle now...she tends to squeeze if startled!! lol

Ya I know what you mean. I could always tell if mine was approachable. There were times when I haven't taken her out of her enclosure for a while and only opened the top to feed her. But if I wanted to take her out she would associate the top comming off with feeding time and well I couldn't take her out without getting bitten. Other times I'd grab her and she would kinda fight to get away but once I had her out she was fine. But ya really hard to handle at times. I would go in to the room where I kept her at night and she would be crawling all around the tank. Thats when I would take her out, kinda let her slither out by her self this way it wasn't a hassle. Getting her to go back inside was another problem.

SADSACK- 14 feet seems a little big for a Boa, you sure it's not a Python species? Even WJC's Boa was very large at 12.5 feet. My buddy has a 12 foot Reticulated Python but it is pretty mellow. I held it when it was still about 11 feet and man, talk about a handful LOL! It's tail was wrapped around my leg twice, up and over my shoulders, down my left arm, and the head was about 3 feet past the tip of my hand. It's more like the snake is holding you than the other way around LOL! I can't even imagine seeing a truly BIG one (20-24 feet) in person, I have seen some 15-18 footers but they were behind glass, not the same as being face to face. That's one of the great things about gtp's, they stay relatively small for a python but still get big enough to be impressive display animals especially with all the colors they can have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya I was always into snakes as a kid. When I saw my first redtail I brought it. I did my research brought all kinds of books and even spoke with the guy who owned the pet shop near my house. He said about 8 feet max. Well sometimes I wish she stayed that length I would still have her today. The guy who I gave her to could not believe how big she was. I will admit that I think I over fead her. The guy who I gave her to brought her to a friend who really nose his stuff and said that she needed to loose about 10 to 15 pounds LoL. All kidding aside it's really unhealthy for the snake to be over weight. I didn't know I was over feeding her. All the books I have read said one to two appropriate size pray items per week. She was always hungry. I sometimes let 2 to 3 weeks go buy before feeding her but that proved to be insane. I couldn't even get the top of the cage open before she would be striking at me out of the tank. Seemed to be hungry all the time.

Latest posts

Members online

Back