3 speed conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides 3rd gear doesn't make that big of a difference and more to tune. Just my op.

log in to hpiracing.com go to Support tab, Learning lab, then look up the 3-speed upgrade on the menu list. Download the manual for the 3-speed upgrade, then research the part numbers that comprise the upgrade. Then search eBay or various online hobby stores, often you will find that you can peice-build that 3-speed upgrade (or others). It consists of a new shaft & some gears so It MAY not cost a lot more to do it this way, but if you're really dedicated, you will find great deals on some of the parts & it may all come together for you. I did a retro conversion on a MGT tranny that had been stripped of its reverse components, I found all the gears & parts I needed to restore the reverse capability after the original owner put a forward-only kit in & LOST all the parts he took out (ALWAYS keep everything even though you may think you will never need them!)

When it comes to adjusting the shift points on the 2nd & 3rd gears, you will of course need to disassemble the tranny to do it if you have the old-style 2-speed trans housing. (you will be able to adjust the 2-3 shift point thru the opening in the trans, but the 1-2 shift point requires the disassembly)
side-note...I get that some ppl don't feel the 3-speed makes much of a difference, but its a cool feeling when you're racing your truck down the street & you go ripping past the guy with his New Bright Wal-Mart toy, seeing his jaw drop when you go tearing past, hitting third gear in your bad-@$$ Nitro Savage...!! Now that's what I'm talkin' about..!! Good Luck to you!

HPI does have an optional taller 3rd gear set for the 3-speed trannys, part #HPI77065. IDK if you can adapt any of these gear combinations into the older 2-speed configuration...obviously if you find a taller second gear (less teeth) for the final drive, you will need to find a matching gear (more teeth) for the input drive for proper gear mesh. Otherwise your other good option is to simply go to a smaller spur gear ( ie 47t -->45t) This will give you more top end speed.

Hearing the 3 speed shift is a strange, but gratifying sound. I had one for a while, but ended up selling the truck that had it and currently have the 2 speed in my X. Seeing this kind of makes me want to change it... but with as little as I drive my nitros these days, I probably won't. lol

Thanks for the info. I currently run 19t clutch 44t spur. Looks like taller tire time.

Lordy! That's some tall gearing! What engine/tires are you running now?

My X struggles to get to speed when running in the grass with 17/47 in it and an alloy clutch. I'm running traxxas 3.8" t-maxx tires. The engine has the power to pull higher gearing, but the clutch strains/slips a lot. On pavement it's fine with 18/47, but I can't imagine it would hold up very long with 19/44! I actually dropped it down to 16/47 recently for next spring as I want it to get into 2nd gear earlier to make the jumps at the skate park work better with it. As it is, I ussualy hit 2nd so close to the jump that I don't pick up much extra speed by the time it hits the lip.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back