20mm Hex Adapters...WHERE!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOBEEWHA

HPISF languist expert

Can anyone help provide a source for parts I need to MOD my standard 4.6 savage's wheel hexes, over to 20mm Hexes?

I say "MOD" due to the fact that, I haven't found any indication that the savage aftermarket addresses a conversion "kit" for this need.

This is most likely due to the obvious "proprietary nature" of anything, and everything under the Sun.

Keeping the cost of this MOD around $40 is my goal here, and is based on the cost of a high quality set of 20mm hexes.
Yet, they must have a strong, and reliable level in quality. BLING is not a consern here but, If it looks cool, all the better.

Why, you ask?.... Have you ever seen or ran a Savage with the LOSI 420 ATX tires on 17mm rims? THEY KICK A$$.

And that's because the 17mm hexes are available for the savage. The LOSI LST2 has a 20mm hex setup that's got larger hex pins that are too big for the Savage Hex pin holes.

The next reasonable question is, Why don't I just use the 17mm setup on the Savage, and the 20mm setup on the LST2?
Because...A Savage 20mm hex conversion is alot more practical, and cost effective, for my needs.

compared this to shelling out $200 + tax and geting a set of 17mm hexes and two sets of beadlocks rims in 17 & 20mm size hubs, so I can swap the tires from rim set to the other rim set.

Or Spending $ 200 + tax and getting a set of 17 mm hexes and another full set of 17mm hexed rims with, a full set of 420 ATX tires.....

I know one of you guys knows a way to get this done.

=========================== Thanks to all that read this post. And double for those, who have answers.================================

Last edited by a moderator:
so you have a LST2 and savage?

to be honest your best bet is to convert the lst2 to 17mm and use that sa your standard size. you will get a much better made hex and ensure that it works, as apposed to making some for the savage yourself.

so you have a LST2 and savage?

to be honest your best bet is to convert the lst2 to 17mm and use that sa your standard size. you will get a much better made hex and ensure that it works, as apposed to making some for the savage yourself.

Thankx for the feedback, polystyrene.

I will take that into consideration. But, I still would like to pursue this quest and see where it leads.

If the stock savage axil could take a re-sizing of it's pin hole to accomodate an LST2 pin, this search might be over, sooner than I thought.

==================================Thanks again=====================================

i still say stick to 17mm

if you go with 20mm you are limited to only the losi rims, whereas on 17mm you have a variety of choice and also alot moe choice on offsets.

you also can use MT size and 40 series (420 series) wheels without changing hexes.

?
the lst2 is a mix breed basher/racer, more basher to the point. if you were using it as a full on racer, 17mm would be more advantageous, due to the much greater choice in offsets and tyres available.

i am simply giving my imput into the topic, not trying to convince you otherwise.

if you wanted to find out, take the stub axles off your lst2 and see if they fit the savage, my guess would be they wont fit the bearings, so you may be able to dremel out the savage c-hub to fit them into it. if that works you would then need to attach the stub axle to an aftermarket UJ for the savage.

thats one way to do it...

Hey, PolyS. There ya go ....
I definately learned something there. And as far as the LST2 goes, It don't compare to "A FULL ON RACE TRUCK...
heck.. it's an RTR which saids it all.

ALTHOUGH...lol..It does have potential..

Thanks for the the suggestions. Ive done some teardown the carriers on the lst and the closest posibillity that I've found so far, is taking a standard savage axil and enlarging the pin hole to acomodate the LST pin which is bigger.

=================One of the other goals in this little experiment was to keep it under $40=======================

One of the other goals in this little experiment was to keep it under $40

just to play devil's advocate again
http://www.killerhobbies.com/items/team-losi/team-losi-8ight-8ight-t/team-losi-8ight-replacement-parts/wheel-hexes-pr-hard-ano-8ight-losa3530-losa3530-detail.htm

i don't think you would be able to do it by widening the pin on the savage stub axle. the diamer is less than the lst2 hex adapters inner diameter so you would have to do somthing to pack it out I'm sure.

tried to do it with my revo which has the same stub axle diameter and the adapter was too big.

you could on second thought make a bushing to go between the adapter and axle to get the spacing correct. that should work

I'ts funny How this all came to be. I picked up the LST conversion kit To change it to more like a truggie I suppose...... Anyway, The kit contained 20mm rims and 20 mm Hexes blue /sweet

Those sound like good approaches, polyS.
I'll keep them in mind. I can really see the logic in getting someone to accept the 17mm hexes as the best way to deal with this issue, and be done with it.

It's just bugs the $h!t out of me that there isn't a reasonable solution for my needs.

Manufactures take leaps and bounds to make sure that thier products have no compatabillities with another. Especially with those products that are from a competing rival, and such.
Although this is to be expected, due to patent license and law, there comes a point to where they shoot themselfs in the foot, by preventing a clear and useful option for the end users of such said products.

I haven't given up yet.

=================To everyone,....Please keep submitimg ideas, based on the openning thread's intent and I'll see if they can help. thanks everybody.==================

Since my initial posting here, I've been taken away from this subject for other threads that needed my attention.

Durring that time, I met a local machinist through my bud, Savagecre. Apparently, this machinist is currently involved with making aluminum rims for hard-core RC rock crawlers, he's in contact with.
Needless to say, after finding out that I can buy his $200 custom rims that come with a lifetime replacement warranty, the subject soon turned to my need for these 20mm hexes I wanted for the Savster.

He felt it "a no biggie" to turn out some hexes that fit right on to the stock Savage's axils.
I explained to him that there's a need to address the left and right threading on the axils with a flanged wheel nut that spans the outer O.D. of the larger 20mm rim's hub.
As it stands, he has the savage nut to get the specs. from for a proto-type.

With any luck, he'll be able to address this conversion, properly. This guy is not in the habit of giving his time away, by any means.

Depending on a demand for others that may want this hex set also, there may be a posibillity he can make a run of these hexes with wheel nuts in set of four to justify his fee.

If things work out, either savagecre, or myself, may be able to provide some sets to those who want them.
Until they have been tested for their intended use, there's no sense in pushing the posibillity of any available conversion sets, at this point.

I still have to work out the details with savavecre and see where his position is, with the whole thing. But, consider this:

Savage 20mm hexes w/ flanged wheel nuts, custom made, by a qualifide machinist that already produces aluminum RC rims for a private clientel....

Intended use:

All losi LST1, LST2, and Aftershock owners, can keep thier 20mm wheel setups without needing to down grade to 17mm hex standards, and the savage owners can
have the option of either, having savage standard hexes, 17mm hexes, or 20mm hexes, based on the needs of the application.
Thus, eliminating the need to purchase, tires and rims for every hex requirement.

Or, needing to purchase beadlock rims in every size, so they can be swaping tires from rim set, to rim set.

And when you think about it, it's realy not a conversion anyway. It's simply a larger hex that fits where the standard hex, normally fits.

=========================== IT"S JUST SO CRAZY, AIN'T IT.===========================

You could also eliminate the left and right thread by switching the silver stubs axles out for black ones. The "X" trucks use all right hand thread stud axles and nuts. I have switched all of my trucks to right hand thread and haven't had a nut come off yet.
Just a thought to help simplify things.

or why not make them buggy style with hex then larger threaded shaft and on the outside of the wheel use a nut the same size as the hex, and use the original left and right handed nuts to hold the adapter onto the stub axles.

Hello JT, Good to hear from you.
As you know, we've been in touch on this mod about two weeks or so, ago. And durring which, I seem to have been distracted by the developements on another thread, DIDRECTDRIVE.
It needed a conductor for what seemed at the time, to be a runnaway train, if ya know what I mean.....lol.
I'm happy to see that you may still care to share your prospective on this specialized mod.

17mm is the obvious direction that that we've been steered towards by the mods industry, which really sux throttle end points, as far as I'm conserned.
Your comments on the the axle threadings is good to know. That's new info to me. Thanks JT.

I also remember telling you that your insight in this project gets top consideration, and that hasn't changed abit.

If this machinist comes through on the production end without a hitch, than I'll be abit supprised, due to the time he would have had to commit. But, He might, and that would be great.
Although, I do susspect that my $40 limit on the cost of this mod as a goal, was blown out of the water as soon as I opened my mouth to this machinist.

Unless, of course, there's others here, that have an application for these puppies, also.

Just want to say, your continued insight on this subject is incouraged to continue, and thanks again for taking the time to share it, JT.

Hey, gzus11.
In all honesty, I just don't know enough about the cross-over part possibillities, from one car type, to the next. To have a solid take on the mods interchangabillity, is the advantage of the experienced modder, in this case.
Changing out some axles is about as far as I would like to go on this deal. The goal is to have 20mm hexes on a Savage that hold there own, yet are in a $40 range of cost to implement.

If I'm going to need to change out wheel carriers, dogbones, a-arms, ect, than I lost the practicallity of this project.

I have a LOSI LST w/a Truggie conversion kit. It has 20mmhexes and associated barrings/wheel carriers, ect.
It would be a shame to have to reduce the hex size to 17mm for any reason due to their excellent quality and BEEF.

That being said, I don't want to down grade the LST's conversion kit. It defeats the purpose of even having the kit to begin with.

I want to able to use the ATX 420's that are mounted on the 20mm rims that came with the kit, on the Savage. Here is where this becomes a chalenge. $40 + does not allow for tires and rims for the Savage.
Nor, does it alow for two sets of beadlock rims, ect. Besides, I've already got a set looking at me from the mounted one's on the LST.

I need a simple, yet effective solution to mount 20mm hexed rims on my savage. If your saying, this is what I'm saying,...

Then please, keep explaining in laymen's terms, what parts are needed, there general cost, their availabillity, ect.

=======================And thanks, gzus11.======================

I think gzus11 was talking about making the conversion where the 20mm hex would have a set of its own threads and you would use the original savage axle nuts to hold it on and having new nuts made to thread onto the 20mm hex with threads.

Which is a very good idea as well.

Either idea will take alot of machining time.

Another idea is would be to machine your 20mm hex and then a washer/spacer with a "step" in it to hold the wheel square, and use your orginal axle nuts to hold the washer/spacer which would hold your wheel on.

Thanks for clarifying that, JT. I wasn't sure what was being suggested. And thank you to, gzus11, for your knowledgable input. Machining threads is definately not a possibillity unless I can get a 1000 confirmed orders for that process....lol

Yes,...Squareness was a definately a consern when considering the mass of the rim and tire's leverage in weight and size. Excellent point. I'm hoping this Machinist that's got the background with turnning his own line of aluminum rims to be able to see what's best in relation to the ixisting wheel carrier's strength and mass. The face of the bearring surface, axle length, ect.

i put 22mm hexes on my savage..all i had to do was turn the axle a little and it was perfect..i just got some mgt 8.0 stock hexes and rims!!!

Found the solution!!!

If you take the adapters that come in the pack and sand them down on the side that accepts the pin you will get the correct spacing. I thought it would cut down on the durability but not at all I'm bashing and racing and has not failed me yet. I have the losi 420 on the savagex!

Cool...
This thread has a life.
I never did get my conversion hexes from said machinist...Dough!!!lol

Oh well, sounds like some of you have discovered the joys of the Losi 420's.

Latest posts

Members online

Back