2008 Savage X 4.6 complete rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroNick

After being frustrated at my Savage 4.6 for not running right and being neglected for a few years I decided I would do a complete rebuild to it. The theme of the build is pure durability with some stupid power. Basically the truck as I had always wanted it to be, and then some.

Parts I will be using:
IRC 4mm thick 6mm extended TVP chassis kit
Bulletproof 29/9 differentials and bevel gears
Aluminum HPI big bores (I know the plastics get the job done, but I have wanted the aluminum ones for years so sue me)
Going back to plastic stock shock towers
HPI Flux bulkheads (more durable)
Novarossi Legend 28/8 pullstart w/pipe/header etc (Its a Nova how can you go wrong)
Reds clutch bell and clutch
RR Spur gear
Waterproof Savox steering servo (My Hitecs suck for a similar price)
New Hot Bodies brake rotors and pads (brakes are worn)
Full bearing kit/cleaning out 10 year old bearings
Tonys Screws hex screw kit (stock screws suck)
HD outdrives (terrible wear on the rear one, might as well replace both)

Probably some small items I am forgetting but these are the main pieces of the puzzle.

What it already has:
Alza Racing bulkhead brace kit (amazing)
HPI sway bar set
Plastic big bores

As far as bodies there are so many options. I have been looking at the MT bodies Jconcepts offers and they look great, just do not know if they would fit the savage since they are made for the electric solid axle monster trucks. (7 in wide and fit 13 in wheelbase...should fit right?)

Just thought I would share this with you all. I am very excited to get started as soon as a few parts come in. If there are any little tips for durability I would also appreciate that!

I do for sure, but once its complete it'll be so nice I could probably use it as a center piece on my dinning room table...until I run it lol

I do for sure, but once its complete it'll be so nice I could probably use it as a center piece on my dinning room table...until I run it lol

Hopefully it won't contain that many aluminum parts that should be plastic! ;)

Because shelf queens tend to be overly aluminum around here. :lmao:

Don't worry it will absolutely not be a shelf queen. I'm keeping all stock upper and lower A arms and as I said going back to the plastic shock towers. I'm also keeping the hubs front and rear stock too. The only aluminum parts will be the chassis of course, the HPI shocks and the alza brace kit, just the essentials and just for durability!

I'll try and post some progress pictures as I go

Quick Update for anyone that is following along, got some pretty cool stuff in the mail today...

The IRC chassis kit is in! I also ordered an extra HD driveshaft (so both would be the same) and some diff gaskets cause why not?

Gotta say these parts are gorgeous, worth every penny. Also super cool it comes with all the hardware.

PS: I was also able to find a Savage 21/25 aluminum roll bar, idk why they ever went to plastic these look and feel SO much better.

Attachments

• IRC Sav.jpg
    IRC Sav.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 10
Nice parts, as for the aluminum rollbar it will bend and twist and soon be pretty well useless, plastic does not have these traits and I would have to think that is why it was discontinued and plastic substituted in its place......

I thought about that... but mine (plastic) looks like garbage after 10 years of abuse, and since I'm a better driver than I was when I was 13 I think I'll be ok haha (hopefully)

Looks to be a nice build. Last rebuild I did (8-9 yrs ago) I went with IRC too. Top quality stuff. I went with the 1" rear + 6mm front extended TVPs, Ofna 250cc mid tank kit, and LST shock mount kit. I've dumped the LSTs in favor of some Cen GST alum shocks. About the same as HPI big bores but cheaper and shorter in length. I've got a build thread on it.

Build update:

I decided to go all out on this build and do something I have looked at before but never really considered doing until now.
I decided on going for the IRC LST shock mounting set, and convert over to Team Losi for my suspension setup.

Why? Well I found 4 basically brand new shocks 100% assembled for $45, and they are still relevant and have upgrades you can still buy such as springs and aluminum caps that I know will actually fit (lol). Also I have heard nothing but good things about them on the LST or other savages. So for slightly cheaper than the HPI BB's I get larger and smoother shocks, and a complete shock mounting set that is proven and also looks badass.

Yeah I'm pretty happy : )

I will say though I saw the IRC shocks on their site and my god those things are art. May have to grab a set just to have them down the road. For now my $45 LST shocks should be more than up to the task.

NitroNick, send me your address (if you live in the USA) and I'll send you all the parts I have for when I had the LST style shocks on my savage. The shocks are actually from the XXL, but they are the same as the LSTs. There will also be a set of RC Raven dual rate springs.

So I know is been a while but I have been doing some major work on my truck and thought I would update y’all on the build!

Basically its almost done lol, probably spent a solid 15 or so hours on it over the last few days...rebuilt the diffs, shimmed them and the Aarms, captured tie rods with washers, then had to take them off (binding issues) spent way too much time having to adjust the suspension settings and getting the IRC rear tie bar mount to work was also a pain BUT...

Everything has been gone through and fixed, all new bearings as well, and it is finally starting to look like itself again! I finally got to the fun part today putting on the IRC LST shock parts and damn they look and feel great. Really all that is left to do is throw on the new brakes and complete the chassis! And just put the shocks on and fill them with oil, but that will be last. Overall super happy with how it is coming along. Motor will have to wait, as will a new servo, but as for now this truck is a true savage. ?

Attachments

• E18D5695-A55B-4937-8790-9583B83D5E4A.jpeg
    E18D5695-A55B-4937-8790-9583B83D5E4A.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 39
Just curious, Where did you get the IRC shock mount? Are they still In business? I really want one for my savage, thanks..

Yep they sure are in business! I ordered these back in October, they were silver but I had asked for it to be anodized black and bam here they are in all their glory ?

Can you show me link of the website you ordered from? these are mount for Losi LST shock right? I really want to try it since I have a full set of lst shock laying around, thanks..

Well, as you can see my long project is almost at an end. So far I’m really pleased with how this truck and build has turned out. Most of the hang ups were getting some of the parts to just work together. Some of the IRC stuff needed a little massaging, and in the case of the engine mount A LOT, but nothing against Rob, they make great stuff! I attribute some of it to the black color he painted it, but I did ask for that... ?

The last couple things to do as far as chassis goes are filling the shocks and making a skid plate. The IRC kit provides one but it’s so nice I don’t even want to use it haha so lexan to the rescue! I also have to go back through and loctite all of the screws that go into metal.

Honestly, I’m in love. This is my Savage how I’ve always wanted it. Now just have to save up for some Nova power ?

Attachments

• 67D2C90A-92F1-41FC-AB3B-DB8E4A71E7B8.jpeg
    67D2C90A-92F1-41FC-AB3B-DB8E4A71E7B8.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Members online

Back