2 spur gears done in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellietommy

hi everyone,
i put some aluminium clutch shoes in over the weekend and took my truck out and within 10 mins i shredded all the teeth off the spur gear so i changed it and just over a full tank later the same thing happened but what i did notice is that the clutch bell moves slightly back and forth (approx 1-2mm) is this normal? the clutch bell i use is a vented clutch bell.

you should shim the c/b 1 mm is .. probably ok . but 2 is way too loose ..
bottom like just make sure you mesh is set right

Assuming you have been checking/setting your gear mesh each time, make absolutely sure that the motor is perpendicular to the spur gear, because that would tear them up every time.

As far as the CB, that sounds like too much play IMO...I like to barely be able to slide it back and forth, just enough that the bearings won't drag on anything. I would pick up some shims to take care of that. However, that would only hurt the spur if the side of the clutchbell was actually dragging on the side of the spur's teeth, which is certainly possible.

I'm sure there could be other issues at play here, but these were the first things that came to mind...I'm sure others can add to this. Good luck and keep us posted!

put a new spur gear on today and when investigating the play with the cb i noticed the brass washer was worn so i put a new one on and tightened it up but then the cb would not spin freely. have i over tightened it or are you supposed to thighten it then loosen off 1/4 turn?

Latest posts

Members online

Back