2 speed tranny mod?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dxtreme

does anyone have a picture of how to do the 2 speed transmission mod. this mod I'm wondering about is adding the 2nd pin to the 2nd gear to eliminate the breaking of the single pin. does anyone have any insight on this?

well I'm not sure if mine did or not. but my tranny won't shift all gears are fine. have adjusted everything under the sun possible. have tuned the motor and still no shifting. so I'm leaning towards that pin being bad

yea i know. this one has me and a good worker at a local hobby shop stumped but he is still thinking that the pin is broke or not engaging. what else could it possibly be? like i said the engine is reaching the rpm so i know its not that. the other weird thing with this truck is that it won't pull the front wheels up at all. I'm running a 52/15 on it right now

well i was bashing my truck tonight now my truck don't move at all just sits there and revs. i check the spur gear that is fine i checked the clutch bell that is fine it is still meshing just fine. tranny is messed up right now. it was going in for a tear down anyway to fix the 2nd gear so now i gotta fix everything. anyone suggest anything to put in the tranny to beef it up while its apart?

Hey 2dxtreme. welcome to the site. Ihave some Q's....What is the version of the truck?... What was the estimated top speed you were getting?... What was the Spur/CB combo originally on the truck when it was sold as new? Have you thought of going for an upgrade to a three speed? (if the truck allows it) Answering these Q's will help me and others here in solving your proplem, 2dxtreme. Get back to us on that one and I will respond.

meaning version what do u mean. its a 4.1 savage x. top speed is unknown i haven't been able to get 2nd gear at all. i bought the truck used. the spur/cb on it when i got it was 49/15. i have a 52/15 on it right now. 3 speed i don't wanna do honestly. hope this helps u out

Well... thanks for the details 2d. I don't know the real differences in the 4.1 version, but I believe there's many things that are the same. The 4.1 is like a .26 engine, in general. I think you gave me a clue to your probs, but I cant be positive without more checking up on things. The tranny's stock set up is always suited for the CB/spur gear combo thats been sold with it. That being said, it appears that the engine your running is having to turn more revs to reach the ingagement point when you have a shorter gear ratio. To make the ratio taller, We need to do at least one of two things. 1. Increase the amount of teeth on the clutchbell. 2. Decrease the amount of teeth on the spur gear. Or both. Right now, your running the shortest spur that hpi provides for any savage, I believe. You are also running a CB pinion thats only two teeth away from being the shortest CB hpi provides. Without even considering your mod question, I would say that you need to find middle ground for your gear ratio. The way it is now, it's likely too short to ingage the shift point, do you follow me here? In other words, the tranny needs to recieve more rpms to shift. This is done by gearing taller, so to speak. The more teeth the CB has, the more footage the spur will recieve. The less teeth the spur gear has, the more footage it will put out. I hope that made some sence. In short, Get a CB that has 17 teeth. Also get a Spur gear that has 47 teeth. For now, at least. I cant help the pin question because I don't know about it. Just be sure that you haven't changed the turns on the springs in the gears of the tranny. If you have, then set them back to factory settings. Why your truck doesn't work now is anybody's guess. 2dxtreme. You'll have to do a teardown and get it back in running order. There's refferences to manuals, blown-up illustrations, Parts lists, ect. If you don't have a manual for your truck version, Print one out either from our achive, or hpi's web site. I hope that helped, 2dxtreme.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i dropped the truck off to my buddy at the lhs and he will tear it down for me. i will tell him to install the larger 18 i think tooth cb. he should be tearing it down tonight so hopefully sometime tomorrow or this weekend i should have a idea of what is going on. it sounds like the tranny is reaching the rpms to shift if anymore it sounds like its going to wind out too much. i'll see what my lhs says tho

Latest posts

Members online

Back