1st race ever. Things you should know

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randysavagex

I recently ran well sorta ran in my first race this past weekend at the slash money season opener in opelika alabama, I ran my savage x in the monster truck class. This is for all you guys who have never raced and are thinking about it. Buy a canopy first off sunburn sucks lol. Next don't run your truck at the maximum until about the 3 last minutes of the A-main race. Tune your engine around 30 degrees cooler than you usually run. So throughout the day as it gets hotter you wont necesarily have to retune. After every heat check your car all over look for cracks dents dings in plastic or aluminum. Ensure that you have extra extra parts stuff breaks and if you don't have the part and it only cost $3.00 you'll be mad as I was. Be nice make friends have fun and don't be affraid to help out with volunteers for corner marshalls. It was a blast all in all. Oh yeah and get as much mud off the tires as you can after each each heat and before the race. Find out what a transponder is before you go lol.

hahaah welcome to the savage race world. It's fun i tell ya fun. And yes extra parts are a must. If your track is anything like mine they don't stock anything for the savy's.

Did not finish I made it through the first 2 heats without a glich and then as i go to start for the warmup my truck was flooded cleared it got it running we dropped for the race and i hit the first jump a lil to hard and when i landed I broke a c-cup race over!!! lol but it was a blast. Check out the track www.onionpatchraceway.com

Oh and no they had no hobbyshop and nothing for my savage but I was ripping it up in the heats only 8 seconds behind the leader in lap times he was running 41sec in a revo and my average lap times were 49sec.

The only C-cup I know of is the ones my x-girlfriend had..... Do you mean a diff cup? I would like to see pics of the damage if you have any.
Transponders are a big part of racing usually. I got my first personal transponder last year and I'm wanting to get it cloned so I have a second (with the same #s) for my Firestorm.
I have almost enough spare parts to build a complete Savage at any given time. Like you said, nothing is worse than not being able to finish a day at the track due to a $3-$5 part.
My advice to you is to keep your head and just forget about the other trucks. Pretend its just a practice and your just trying to get your truck around the track without crashing. I find I do much better when I try and take some of the pressure off.

I apoligize I was typing in a hurry it was not c-cup hahaha it was the upright set on my rear left wheel. I do not have pics I have already changed the part and threw the old one away.

Oh yeah oregonmud can you hook me up with a site for a good transponder I keep finding these robotronics ones but they only work on the robotronics track counting system. Any help?

Good stuff... Randy a good pit guy is also the key to a win. Communication is key and knowing what the mill needs b4 it comes in to your pit guy is time back on the track. Establish hand signals so in case he cant hear you he knows what you need done. Depends on race times too a ten min race is lost with a pit...

Lil does fredyj know I'm training him to be my pit man this year. I plan to teach him to tune my race mill better than I can.

haha funny you should say that my pit guy knew nothing about rc period but we worked on it for a couple of days before. My original rc buddy was in the field hes in the army. Me and the buddy that went with me both had bluetooth headsets for our iphones and that was how we communicated people looked at us like we was stupid but it worked REAL WELL.

I assume you guys use the AMB system too. Unfortunately they aren't cheap. I got mine from ebay but your LHS should have some if you have a track and races. You will pay almost as much for a used transponder as a new one so you might as well get a new one. I got mine from this guy....
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMB-Personal-Tr...8|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50
EDIT: I have my transponder mounted in a Rush battery box on the front shock tower. The signal gets to the loop easier and more reliably than through the bulk of the truck. Also, it angles it forward so it counts you just as the front bumper goes over the loop instead of the middle area of the truck where most transponders are mounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a couple of them and they save so much time when racing your trucks, Racing is just awsome in savage trucks as people believe thay make good bashers and not very good racers but people keep poving them wrong time and time again, enjoy racing i do

What does the transponder do?

The guy at the LHS is thinking about building an outdoor track and running nitros. Id love to try it out if he does.

Right now they only race electrics on an indoor oval, but id like to try an outdoor track just for the fun of it. I have never raced before, just bashed.

Some places still count by hand (thats what the numbers are for) but most races use and AMB type counting system. Its a small box that attaches to the RC somewhere where it sends a signal with a number out. That number is picked up by the "loop" every time you cross the finish line effectively logging your lap times and lap count for the race.
Some clubs have track transponders you can use but its faster to have your own. the batteries in the track ones died winter before last so everybody had to purchase personals.

Latest posts

Members online

Back