1988 S10 Blazer project...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

Ok so as most know I take automotive at school. Well we have a 1988 S10 blazer, bought it new in 1988. Anyways we have used it to tow trailers and such for lawn care and it has gotten its dents, and paint is fading. Decided to get it painted. Well I am painting it in school...so it's gonna be crap most likely but we shall see. Going to start prepping it Friday or next week. Waiting on materials.

Gotta decide on a color though. Go back with red/black...or here is some thoughts. Here is some pics of it now.

IMG00427-20100303-1613.jpg

IMG00428-20100303-1613.jpg

IMG00429-20100303-1613.jpg

1) Candy orange
2) Candy red
3) Metallic silver with black pinstripe
4) Gloss black

I had a 88 blazer I vote you don't waste the money on paint they aren't worth the paint.

lol why is that Alex? Just wondering....

I know we have had this thing since new and love it. Plus I'm only going to have maybe $400 in it total between priming, paint, and clear coat.

Has a 4.3 in it right now. 187,450 miles. Trans has been rebuilt. Yeah I'm thinking of bagging it....gotta guy that has everything to do it. Have to see how my paint comes out first.

Well went to the local store today that the school uses for supplies and picked up all the sandpaper and tape. Going to start sanding monday :)

I think going black would look good. Definitely a common look, but its safe and it seems affordable.

Got it into the shop today which is where it will be staying for quite some time.

Got the chrome trim off, grille, headlight trim, roof racks, and started taking the front/rear bumper off. Hope to get the front bumper off and the front left fender off tomorrow. Will keep this updated with pics as it progresses.

IMG00463-20100308-1444.jpg

IMG00462-20100308-1443.jpg

are you looking to keep the chrome bumper parker? if you are i hope the bolts come off for you. if not blast them off with the torch. there are 2 under the black trim

Has a 4.3 in it right now. 187,450 miles. Trans has been rebuilt. Yeah I'm thinking of bagging it....gotta guy that has everything to do it. Have to see how my paint comes out first.

damn parker......u always a day late and a dollar short. a couple out years agao.....i sold my bags of my S1. i had 8 switches, 4 compressors, 2 tanks, 8 valves and all mounts i sold for $400. bags get tiring after a while.......

if you need any advice on an s10....i AM the S10 Master! i've had 8 of em and have and 89 like yours now. i call tell u all the parts u need and everything thing. a gool thing about the s10 is the suspension parts are the same from 84 to 2000! need help...let me know. i say paint her straight white white a light pearl, a 40 series flowmaster original 40 series for a camaro (1 inlet 2 outlets), and 4/5 drop, phantom grill, wheel spavers and some 19 fronts and 20 inch chrome Z06 vette wheels, and 2 15" subs.

Yeah mickey keeping the bumpers. The rear is a PAIN to remove. 2 bolts are rusted really bad and don't see them coming loose....Front bumper should be off tomorrow though. Think I'm gonna pass on the bags but still want to lower it a bit.

The exhaust on it is a lil rusty but isn't too old. Going to wait as I am thinking if this 4.3 ever goes out then a 350 is in order for it...

Well today was somewhat "productive". Got wiper-arms off, front fender, mirrors, and started on the fender. I'm not sure what is left to the fender as I have removed all the bolts I can see....next step is to remove the fender well with it to see if it comes out.

Picture update for today...
IMG00466-20100309-1436.jpg

The fender is all loose on the front, just not by the door. I can wiggle is but something is still holding it. Looks like the panel by the window has to come off so that is for tomorrow. Think it has 2 bolts still holding it on.

for the fender bolts you can't find, check the door sill where the door hinges are. Most of the fenders that I have removed have a bolt located in the upper corner near the windshield. Also, sometimes the lower corner also. Hope this helps.

for the fender bolts you can't find, check the door sill where the door hinges are. Most of the fenders that I have removed have a bolt located in the upper corner near the windshield. Also, sometimes the lower corner also. Hope this helps.

Yep I got the two that you have to open the door to remove. Also got the one that holds the strip in but from what I have read that strip has to come off also. Going to try that tomorrow.....

Appreciate the help though

parker drop a 350 in it man .. its a must !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! leave it flat black put a decent rear end and tranny and put a small block 350 in it man .. had a 83 .. with a 350 .. ran great

Glad to hear Jeremy, as much as I'd love to put a 350 in it, I just can't do it at the moment. Between price of getting one and getting all the parts it is over my budget by a few miles. This paint job will be right around $500, maybe even less. Labor is all free so it's just price of the materials and my time in school. Haha.

Trans is a 700r4 I believe (stock trans, 2wd auto. Rebuilt a few years ago).

I'm with jeremy! but a old Iroc or Z28 and do a swap. After I wrecked my Iroc I always wanted to put the drive train in a S10 pick up.

parker I'm am with these guys as the 350 uses the same bellhousing and motormount setup as the 4.3 so everything will work. all you would need to find is the 350 and the ecu from close to the same year with the tbi setup

do the 350 once you do it u will wounder why u didnt do it before u can find them cheap like others said ive seen rebuild kits cheap to if u want a link just say so and ill post it and then u can mess with people running 4.3s at traffic lights lol

Well we aren't going to bare metal. Just going down to the grey primer. The red goes from red to black, black to grey primer, and grey to another black. Going down to the grey. This is the first time I have done something like this so I'm lost really. LOL. Just doing what I think I need to do.

if the panel is straight i would just scuff it give the new paint something to adher too. the way i would usually paint a vehicle ( this is how i have done it and I'm no pro but it works) lightly block sand with 320 the whole truck, this will make the straight areas dull, the low areas will still be shiny or untouched and the high areas should be sanded through to another color. doing that will let you know where more attention is needed. this obviously wont work on bigger dents but you should be able to see them anyways. after you get the panels body worked back to being straight run a thin gloved hand over your work cause if you feel it you will see it on the final paint. then prime the whole truck allow that to dry the spray a light guide coat on ( just mist it on doest have to be complete coverage) then sand the guide coat with a block so that any imperfect spots will show the guide coat. those areas are where spot putty is used get them straight prime sand and paint. i hope this helps parker. i have prepped many bodies this way and if it wasnt for my poor painting skills they would have looked good lol

edit: by the way i wish i lived where you are. all the s10 s of that year up here are so badly rusted that they arnt worth saving

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we have some body work to do so figured just go ahead and sand it down as far as we could. If it goes to bare metal then that is ok, it is getting primed anyways.

Got a lot done today. Almost finished the hood (indention's, etc). Got the passenger side almost done, gotta remove the trim pieces and get from those down and started on the tailgate some. Going to do the roof/cracks last as those will be the hardest and most time consuming. Hope to have ALL sanding done before the end of next week. Then we will start priming and painting the week after.

Latest posts

Members online

Back