17mm conversion stuff...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, 12mm offset. I haven't seen ones like that before. Seems like they would work fine. I have been wondering about those style of wheel nuts since the threaded part looks larger than that of my stock axles. Do you need to make the hole diameter of the rims larger to accomodate them or are they just the right size to fit standard wheel mounting holes? Maybe somebody could chime who use the knock-off style wheel nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are currently using this style nut, you should be ok:
nut.jpg

Here is the old wheels:
oldwheel.jpg

Here are the new wheels:
newwheel.jpg

Those flanged nuts (which I think is what basically all savages come with now?) have a part on the back side that fills the void between the large hole in the wheel and the smaller stock axle diameter. Those flanged nuts are used with wheels like the ones in the lower picture seen above.

The lower wheels will work with the integy deal I posted earlier. I'm not to concerned about the offset (they have them in 6mm 12mm and 18mm though), as much as I am the durability and usefullness. I like the dual offset wheels the best, but they only sell the one style I think? If they sold dual offset dish wheels I'd defintely get them instead I think.

Back to the integy thing. They look like they would work, but I just wanted to hear it first hand from somebody who has them.

Ahh, I see the difference. I have no experience with the older stuff so I'm not aware of all these little differences that have been changed over the years. Thanks for the info. Great pics for illustrating your point BTW, +REP!

Boo Yah!!!!!! Rep for me :)

No problem man. They are weird small differences, but they make a difference. Like if you had an older savage with 8 sets of wheels and tires all glued up and then bought the integy deal and found out you couldn;t use any of your existing wheels... that would suck, haha. At that point I may be trying to drill them out :)

Wheels from your XL would be perfectly fine, best I know.

Hmm, do they actually feel solid, or do they feel as much like an after thought as they look like. I like the idea, but obviously the right way to do it is this :

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/87229/

I don't think those are gonna work with the super heavy duty dog bones though.

they work sweet for big air. They are what stopped me from breaking hexes. 17mm would crack at the corners for me. they do blow out over time but the rims stay 100% that was my focus in the first place. I liked my dynamite 23mms adapters more then my proline. I killed 1 set of proline already but my dynas are still going strong

to my knowledge no 17mm axle works with the shd bones other then the shd stuff

I think I may just give the blue grooves a try. I'm lookin for 1/2" offset with the option of 0 offset, so I guess they will work the best for me. I wish they sold them in different styles besides the spoked one. They are cheap enough though $18 for 4 :)

What do you mean by trashed? And if you weren't using the expensive conversion from them, what were you using? Where you using the supplied plastic 17 mm hex and the metal hexagon washer for the outside and then your factory wheel nut?

Hmm, the only thing I can see wrong with the stcok stuff is maybe the plastic 17mm hex would get worn out, maybe were the axle pin sits in it. other than that it should be ok. If you used the metal 17mm hex that came with your savage and their supplied 17mm hex washer for the other side, I think that would prolly be just as strong as anything?

Wish I knew what he meant by "trashed", hate to say it but it could have been user error, or maybe he was just bashing so hard that no wheel could have withstood the trauma.

all the hexes are stripped out on the rims. the plastic adaptors that come with the rims don't fit a savage axle. i was using the stock savage hex with the hex washer on the out side of the rim with a 25 wheel nut. they held up for almost a year, i still can run them but now I'm using the stock hex ca glued to the rim and the stock x wheel nut as they now fit in the wheel with the stripped hex. i hope that clears up any confusion

hmm, thanks for the info :) Sounds like you were doin it right, just some weak material or design surrounding the hex. A year is pretty long, but still. I don't think their fancy 17mm conversion would have changed the outcome at all.

ctd in all reality if you keep the stock 17mm hex and nut tight on a good rim they have no issues

You know, I was kinda wondering if that may have been where mickey had issues... maybe once or twice his wheel nut came loose but he kept runnig for a little bit and that is what caused the hexs to get all stripped out or chewed up?

you got the new ss right if so you have SHD axles and cant use most of the systems out there unless they bolt to the stock axle. yea know ... I just went to the top of this thread to see how off topic I am now... sorry. you can add the XL axles to your truck and get the width out of stock offset rims

You are right about the SHD dogbones, kinda limits you to just stuff that bolts onto the end of the axle.

The width that the XL axles would give me is perfect, but it just seems better and cheaper to do it with wheels.

I think this thread is done, cause i am pretty sure that I'd rather just do it with wheels instead of bolt on axle conversions :) With the new info you and others have posted in my other thread, I think I am definitely gonna go that way instead.

I agree... I also went with the standard SHD axle and do it with rims. But use 23mm on my bash treds 17 on the lighter race wheels

Members online

No members online now.
Back