101 tips for the Truck owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikester

Oldtimers and Newbies alike make some simple mistakes when owning an RC Truck or Car. 99% of the time it's simply because nobody ever told them different. So I thought I may offer all my little tips I've put together over the years. I'll be posting a few every couple of days so not to overload anyone with a bunch of stuff they already or don't already know. So here it goes.

I will start with the most expensive mistakes I see on a regular basis. Your Nitro engine maintenance.

Tip 1. Use AFTER RUN at the end of the day. It doesn't matter if you ran a tank or 10 or if you are fireing it back up first thing in the morning. If you are finished for the day. Use it!!

Tip 2. You drip some after run in your carb and in the chamber. (pulling out the glow plug and dripping some in there.) You then turn that engine over a few times and finished.

Tip3. READ THIS PLEASE Here is where I see a major mistake made by Newbies and Oldtimers alike. You do not finish running and then simply pull off the airfilter and glow plug and drop your after run in it. Stop and look at that carb housing before you pull off that airfilter. It's filthy!!! When you yank that airfilter off do you really believe all that dirt and grime is staying exactly where it is? Well it doesn't. Some of it just may fall into your carb. To prevent this from happening get yourself a paintbrush. (or silly puddy) Yes, $1.25 paintbrush from the local hardware store. Brush that dirt off around that carb. Then remove the airfilter. If you do this you just may save your mill from an early death. Ever wonder why you read about people getting 8,10,14 gallons out of a mill and you get 4,6 or 8? Maybe?

Tip 4. Removing the glowplug. Same story here. Take a look down in there before sticking that glowplug wrench in. It's a mess down there! Again, some of that dirt may fall into the engine. With luck it will blow out the exaust when you fire it up. If not you have a scratch on the sleeve wall. Worst case is a piece of sand getting in and you have 0 compression. If you need to do a quick swap of the glowplug simply turn the truck / car upside down. remove the Glow plug and insert the new one. Dirt falls downward. :) Of course cleaning all that dirt out would be a better idea.

Tip 5. Get some silly puddy!!!! :Nolol: Yes, I said silly puddy. Use it to clean out the garbage stuck to your truck. Don't ever use it on a Hot engine, clutch or anything else hot! Wait for the truck to cool. You will be shocked just how well that stuff works for getting dirt out of those hard to reach places.

Tip 6. Check that Con. rod on a regular basis. To do this simply turn the fly wheel until your piston is in the top position. (Remove or loosen your glowplug first) When it is in the top position try to wiggle the flywheel back and forth. YOU SHOULD HAVE ZERO PLAY! If you have a little play in it, consider putting in a new Con rod yesterday. The bushings are more than likely going bad. If that con rod gives out. You just bought a new engine.

Well I hope these few tips save someone some money.

Part 2 Suspension

Many of us spend a lot of time and money improving our suspension. Here are just a couple of little tips to make sure it's doing it's job the best it can.

Tip 7. Having a free moving suspension. Most people check the suspension simply by pushing down on the truck or up on the tires. While this does show you the travel and gives you an idea of the spring and shock functions, it doesn't tell you if the suspension is binding. Binding is when for one of several reasons your arms do not have free movement. The best way to check this is to remove your shocks and tires. All you need to do is disconnect the shocks from the arms. With the truck sitting up in the air your arms should now be hanging in the lowest position. Simply lift the arms with your fingertip to the highest position. You shouldnt feel anything but the weight of the arms. Now let the arm go. It should fall freely. Another way is to simply turn the truck upside down. the arms should fall without resistence. If you have binding look for a bent pin, Dirt in the pins or maybe a burr on the arm that is very close to the pin and hitting the shock tower or something else. Your dogbones could also cause binding. This is normaly only a problem as the truck ages and the pins of the dogbone wear the axle slits. You will see this as time passes with your truck. If your suspension moves freely, your shocks and springs can do the job they where intended to do.

Tip 8 thru 15 or so. (This link covers a lot.) Suspension setup and what it does. Here I am going to refere you to a thread written by The Pope NJ. This has to be the best reading around for understanding your suspension. READ IT and LEARN it if you are looking to put your truck on a track or just for performance.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14260

Something else another day.

I know this stuff but just saying thanks for postin!

Latest posts

Members online

Back