08' Racer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butters

Hey All,

I decided to post my 08 Racer build due to the persuasion of my buddies. We have seen on several forums more drivers being bitten by the racing bug after bashing their truck for so long. I’m doing this for several reasons. Two major reasons are to give new drivers enough information that can aid them in setting up their truck by writing reviews for the parts I used and why they made it to the truck. I plan to update this thread after every modification and race to show overall performance. Now enough with the talking let’s get down to business.

Below is the subject. A custom mid-tank savage with an extremely successful 07 race season on it.

P6240040%20(480%20x%20360).jpg

P6240037%20(480%20x%20360).jpg

At the end of the race season I decided to bash my truck. The team owns a couple of jumps and I had the urge to begin hitting them after a rough day at work. As I began to unload the stress I kept seeing how many back flips I could do. One –Two flip weren’t good enough and kept trying for 3. Well almost made it and the key word “almostâ€. As you can see below what happened to my chassis.

Lcg%20front.jpg

LCG%20Caranage.jpg

As you can see this chassis wouldn’t make it through this year’s race season. And now this was the time to buy a new one. With so many options out there for chassis’s I had to weigh each option. Last year’s chassis was HPI LCG Chassis. For this year’s chassis I wanted a chassis that would offer a mid-tank setup without custom modifications, this would lead me to only to chassis companies FLM and Innovative as you all know about. I went with the Innovative chassis after months of research. FLM Chassis is a very nice design but for racing I felt the additional weight was not worth it.
I ordered the 6mm (.25 approx) front extend chassis with the mid tank kit approx 175.00 after the currency conversion. For shipping to the US I have to say the chassis came extremely quick.

innovative%20front.jpg

innovative%20iso.jpg

After assembling the chassis my first thought how much weight am I adding to my existing setup. The old chassis weighed 10z. The innovative version weighed only 12 oz. I felt this was good for the amount of aluminum that being used compared to my CF mid tank plates I made for the old chassis. One thing to note the innovative weight does not include the aluminum skid plate supplied. I don’t feel the need to running one since I have not had any problems not running one.

LCG%20weight.jpg

innovatve%20chasss.jpg

Also here a side by side comparison of the two chassis

side%20by%20side%20comparsion.jpg

side%20by%20side%20iso.jpg

Here are the Pro I found using this chassis:

1) Overall the Innovative 2.5mm thick race chassis with the mid tank conversion kit superb. The instructions supplied are very thought out. They cover all three styles of the mid-tank conversion, Cen, Mugen and the Hellfire.

2) The fit and finish is worth the money. The layout of the chassis was well thought out.

3) All hardware supplied seems to be rated at 10.9 class specifications or higher for what I see.

4) With the tank moved forward the truck will be more stable in the air and on weight transfers from acceleration to deceleration and vice versa.

5) No more having to make spare parts, just by being able order spare it will make having them available on race day that much easier. More time to play less time to make!

Now the Cons:
On the chassis the hole that mount the receiver box/servo mount to the chassis is threaded and should be a clearance hole for the M3 screw. This does not allow proper tightening of the chassis plate to the receiver box/servo mount.

Holeto%20ream%20out.jpg

When mounting the assembled mid-tank setup I noticed that you couldn’t use the standard rubber isolation grommets that come with your servo. To fix this I am going to machine .030 off to the off the area top off the mounts. This should now provide ample clearance for mount the mid-tank plate. I some might say you don’t need the grommets but when a good 320 in-oz servo costs $120.00 a pop I am not going to take any chances.

steering%20issue.jpg

This con was an oversight, but I feel it needs to be mentioned. When I put my receiver into the receiver box/servo mount I could not tighten the cover. My receiver was too large never thought a JR RS310 would be too large. I flipped through the instruction and found on the inside cover that you need a receiver smaller than 59mm long x 27.3mm wide x 24mm high. At first I was upset since I never saw these required specs on the Innovative website, but after reviewing the site more thuro I did find mentioning of this. My only wish is that Innovative makes this requirement stand out on the page. Yes this gives me the reason to go buy a spectrum module for my Z-1 radio, but for the owners who are on a tight budget purchasing a $175.00 chassis kit and then finding out you need to buy a $90.00 receiver to fit in the box might not go over to well.

reciever%20mount.jpg

rs310reciever.jpg

With all Pro’s & Con’s of this chassis as of right now I would strongly recommend this for someone look a good racing chassis. I will not know how it will perform till RC Madness's Season Opener in mid April. I want even one to remember that this thread is not to say Innovative is better that FLM or another company. Everyone has their personal opinion.

As part come in, in the next several weeks such as bearing, diff gears & sway bars will add to this.

Thanks All,

-Champagne

Last edited by a moderator:
How come people don't go Carbon Fiber for racing? I mean 4mm Quasi CF is super strong, and extremely lighter. I mentioned it one time of making a CF racer and the person bout took a fit stating you cant use CF in racing its to fragile. Yeah, land of confusion lol.

Thyrfing,

You a have good point. Most of the forums for Savage are for bashing and I wouldn't want to use CF for that. For racing 4mm CF would work great. One issue is the cost of CF plates. I was going to make my own chassis plate for our team but for a .125 (3mm approx) x 6.0 x 30.00 plate would run me $92.00 a pop and I have other parts I want to put that money for right now. Buying an aluminum chassis was better cost department at this point in time.

Larsenracing is running a CF chassis and I can't wait to see how it holds up.

Hopefully I will have my CF chassis by June.

Last edited by a moderator:
My PlatinumRCProducts chassis is very stong and has much less flex to it than the stock 25 or X plates. It is also much lighter that the stock chassis. My Exteded LCG 4mm CF TVP weights 59.5 Grams where the Stock Savage X one is 76 Grams and the FLM Extended LCG chassis is 129 Grams just to give an idea on weights. These weights are only for a single TVP, I don't have weights of the IRC ones. If you have any questions or anthing Please feel free to ask otherwise check out our web site at www.platinumrcproducts.com It is always being updated with our new products. I also have a standard length LCG chassis along with a bunch more done but its just not on the web site yet.

With not having to work and the weather being crappy I thought it would a great time to stat mocking up the savage. The first thing to do was upgrade the mid tank plate. The tank plate that comes with the kit is great but I wanted something more. Using the existing hole locations from the Innovative plate I created a upper plate to my liking. Using .060†Carbon fiber I kept the same contour of the innovative plate.

cf%20top%20plate.jpg

cf%20top%20plate%202.jpg

This year’s race season I have taken the plunge into using a LiPo receiver pack. I had (3) 1000mah Apogee pack from my 1/18th cars lying around and felt they could do the job. Since the Innovative kit requires you to use the Firestorm battery box with their battery relocation mount. I feel this is weight unneeded. While creating the upper plate I had the idea of mounting the battery on the underside of the plate between the two cross braces. I put in provision for (3) zip ties. This will work out great, last year I zipped tie my hump pack to the front shock tower the entire season and had no problem.

tank%20plate1.jpg

tank%20plate2.jpg

tank%20plate3.jpg

tank%20plate4.jpg

As you can see when all put together it’s a very clean setup.

All%20mounted.jpg

all%20mounted%202.jpg

I like what I am seeing so far. Keep it up and you will have a sweet rig. Keep the pics coming.....

Hey all,

Sorry I havne't post the build up lately but i have been tied up the development of the truck and work lately. Here are some of the final build up picks. I will post later all the I parts I used after the 18th. Currently getting the truck dialed in for Rc Madness' North East Offroad Championship.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Hopefully this keeps your appatites hungry!!!!

My teamate has another Savage race build going on at the same time. We will be able to give you guys how the different stragies of the build helps or hurts us during the race.

Looks like the flm shock towers...I just got some myself, they are very nice. What shocks are those? That is mean looking rig !!:resp:

Blazer,

Yes those are FLM shock towers but I cut .25" off of the top of the to lower te mounting of the body. The LST shock set up I helped you with worked great last year but am trying something new. I used the rear shocks for an losi 8t on all four corners of the savage. If this setup doenst work then I will be going back to the LST shock later.

Butters,

Truck is looking good. Does that JP-4 rub against the body? I tried mounting mine after work and no matter how I position it, the body fits tight to the pipe.

Senitro,

Yes the pipe does fit tight. To help prevent the pipe from running to much I used a heat guns the handle of a glow plug wrench to make a pocket in the side of the body. I didnt need much to allow better fitment. Check out the 4th picture down with the body on. You can see the dimple I made where the yellow stripe is. One things that helped also is I put a zip tie around the pipe spring to the chasis. This will help stablize the pipe and tuck it closer to the body.

Latest posts

Members online

Back