X 250cc budget midtank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasavage

Been working on this for the last couple of weeks and it almost done. Not sure if anyone remembers my 25 budget midtank, but I used some of the same ideas except the tank. That one was only a 125cc tank and run times were horrible.

The only new part on this project was a Ofna 250cc tank. Everything else was stuff laying around in the garage, so it's not exactly pretty LoL.

Not a writer so I'll let the pics do the talking :)

DSCN2055-35.jpg

Here I used 2 motor plate mounts. Had to drill the tvps out alittle for the screws.
For the front one I drilled out the holes and made a plate for the front tank mount. I believe the tank mount was a ofna brand
The rear mount I did try to slide the mount backwards alittle with a drill bit on the Tvp's. Then drilled out a hole, stuck a bolt through with a nut. I rather have it threaded, but I have no tap on hand.
The steering servo is alittle high due to wanting to still being able to use a Rpm skid plate and the servo sits right where the plate's mount sits. Due to this I had to also swap out the steering linkage from anther scrapped vehicle. It turns fine bit we will see how it does on the first run.
For the battery I just ziptied to the front of the shock tower, had to make alittle extension though.
The receiver for now is zip tied to the side of the tvp's until I make it to the hobby store or radio shack. Just depends on what they have on stock.

DSCN2058-35.jpg

Front tank mount
-Had to shave the shock tower alittle
DSCN2062-35.jpg

Rear tank mount
Might need a little longer bolt for this one
DSCN2063-35.jpg

Steering servo side
Here I just made a plate so I can bolt up a piece of angle for the steering servo.
The on-off switch is off a 25 radio tray just cut down, I did buy a nice switch from radioshack but didn't have a good place to mount it.
DSCN2056-35.jpg

On the throttle servo I did the same as on the 25 midtank on a piece of angle. and mounted both servos on the angle with the old mounts of the servo tray.
This is a pic from the other build
DSCN1326small.jpg

I hope to finish up next weekend, and then see what happens for a quick shakedown run. Just going to hit a parking lot for now until I get the skid plate and receiver box mounted.

I know it's not any kind of looker, but I've been wanting a 250cc tank for a long time. :)
rctruck

Nice setup!!! ya i have been looking into ways of doing a midtank on a stock tvp savage x that is simple and i would like to use the 250cc tank to but i I'm not great on fabricating things and don't really have the tools either so have been looking for threads on how to do a simple midtank on a stock chassis savage x

Thanks fellas :)

Good to hear Shaun, I was hoping to spark alittle interest for others to give it a try :)

I did make some of the straight cuts with my Milwaukee portable bandsaw and also a dremel with a sanding pad and alot of cutoff wheels.. Just make sure you use safety glasses.

Thanks fellas :)

Good to hear Shaun, I was hoping to spark alittle interest for others to give it a try :)

I did make some of the straight cuts with my Milwaukee portable bandsaw and also a dremel with a sanding pad and alot of cutoff wheels.. Just make sure you use safety glasses.

ya I'm lame!! lol i don't even own a dremel yet!! thats why i haven't got into fabricating stuff...

What's the fuel tube around the servo for?

Thanks guys!

ya I'm lame!! lol i don't even own a dremel yet!! thats why i haven't got into fabricating stuff...
LoL Not even a dremel? Your killing me bud LoL

What's the fuel tube around the servo for?
I just did that just in case to protect the pull string from rubbing on the bare metal.

That was an old pic off the 25 midtank, posted that pic to show I just used the old servo mount tabs on the bottom of the angle to screw the servo into.
On this one I accually didn't just cut the tabs off the old radio box, I cut one side of the box, so it kind of wraps the servo. This will make it easier to pull and reinstall the servo if needed without pulling off the TVP. On the last one I had to use a coat hanger to hold the tab up while I reinstalled the screws.

I'll get a pic of what I'm talking about after work tomorrow. :)

I also picked up 2 boxes (for the receiver) from the LHS (traxxas city) today, just have to decide which one to use. I'll post pics of both

Ok here is the box I used

Like I said my LHS is traxxas city so its a 4Tec radio box (#4821), the back is open so I left the receiver in a balloon.
DSCN2120-35.jpg

During the shake down run I managed to rip the Phaltline tire on the rear, so I threw some glue on. I'll run em till they shred :)
DSCN2108-35.jpg

DSCN2097-35.jpg

DSCN2124-35.jpg

DSCN2110-35.jpg

DSCN2114-35.jpg

I also killed a pad on the spur gear so I wasn't even able to finish a tank of fuel :(

Bumpity, would like more pics please

Anything in particular that you would like to see?

If you can, the bracket for the tank, and the plate under it if any?

As far a drilled holes I
- Opened up the holes from the stock radio tray to accept the larger bolts
- on the rear tank mount (near tranny) I slide that hole back alittle with a drill bit. to suck the tank back alittle. the 250cc tank is alittle long. You might want to consider the CEN 220 cc tank, it's alittle shorter.
- Drill extra hole for the on off switch the other hole was already there for the rear tank support
- Drill holes for the radio receiver box
- The rear servo did not need not need any new holes

In this pic
- on the steering servo side the 4 red ones is to hold a plate to the tvps and the piece of angle for the servo bolts to the plate.
the blue one is to mount the skid plate mount up. The stock mount usually has a lip that hooks over the tvp but now the plate is in the way.
DSCN2162-35-drilled_holes.jpg

Here are some under the plate pics

This is the front
It's a stock engine mount brace that I opened the holes up to accept a bolt to go into the steering assembly. And the alum plate that I made bolts on top of that.
DSCN2164-35.jpg

Rear tank mount
another engine plate brace. Drilled a new hole so I could put a bolt through to support the tank
DSCN2177-35.jpg

DSCN2170-35.jpg

DSCN2168-35.jpg

DSCN2172-35.jpg

DSCN2191-35.jpg

Hope these help

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to see :)

LoL. Yeah it's a heck of a squeeze. What made it harder was my LHS isn't that great so I manufacture alot of insparado :)

Yea I need to give her a good bashing, need to bolt her back up first. I had to disassemble alittle for the pics.

Sorry bud, but I don't think that will help you very much. Most of the parts were things I had laying around in the garage.

The only things I really bought was the Ofna 250cc tank and the receiver box.

But here are a few that I can think of
-Hpi Engine mount brace HPI86063
-Traxxas 4tec receiver box #4821
-Ofna 250cc tank #19504
-Front tank mount on the plate Ofna 30646
-Ofna Linkage 10725 and Ofna Sliders 10705

-The steering linkage (servo to steering assembly) came off of some off name brand buggy that someone gave me (they broke it and I was not interested in buying it). You will need a longer steering servo arm, the stock one hits the servo before you get full throw (had laying around)
-The On Off switch bracket is from a savage 25 radio box that I just cut down and drilled some holes into.
-Screws I also pulled off the broken buggy and used some from a screw kit that I bought from SMF but they are no longer in buisness. But you can still get them from a member here for around $30 if you private message ljrce.
-Piece of flat steel for the front tank support and side plate for the steering servo
-Piece of angle for the rear servo. Found that at the jobsite, framers use it as a corner when framing up fur downs. You can also make one like this --> Big Daddy 808 servo mount
-Piece of 3/4 x 3/4 alum angle for the steering servo to mount on
-Zipties to mount the antenna support the battery and hold the servo wires out of harms way

Like I said most things were already laying around. It's probly not the beest way to do it, I just want more fuel capacity and to see if I could make it happen.

Not sure what you are going for? more capacity or just to midtank?
A smaller tank will make things alot easier, take a look at my savage 25 with a smaller tank here --> Savage 25 midtank and another member that used the Ofna 125cc tank #30280 -->Big daddy 808 savage 25 midtank
With a smaller tank you will be able to cut up the stock radio tray and avoid drilling alot of extra holes by keeping the steering servo in the stock location.

If its more capacity consider the Cen 220 tank that Joe Guam used in his build Pg 36 post 353. I know this is not stock TVP's but you might not have to make a plate for the front mount of the tank like I did using the 250cc tank.

Hope this helps. Any more questions just let me know :)

Make sure you post a thread when you get going on your project rockout

Ive got 2 90 Degree steel plates I can use. I can pick up the engine mounts at Hobby town usa. Could you do a better picture of new throttle setup?

These are the best pics I can get you right now. I have not had a chance to put it back together yet.

DSCN2208-35.jpg

DSCN2209-35.jpg

This is the cheap version I did on my 25's project (The spring I got out of a pen)
DSCN1450small.jpg

You might also want to take some time a look at a few in the midtank section of the forums for some ideas as well.

Here are a few

Vroom's
2qcp6kx.jpg

FrddyJ
DSC_0251.jpg

TeeWX
012909_183001.jpg

Savyscott
001-6.jpg

Here is a nice link --> Squirrel's midtank tutorial

Bank's better ofna throttle mod

Here is the ofna mod on a regular setup -->Hirisk's ofna linage