Uniflow tank mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiftPoint

Hi,

I was just reading about half tank lean, I found this mod that is suposed to fix it while searching for mid tank mod kits.

Here's the link to a thread where someone shows how he did it.

http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546

It is a lot easier than the mid tank mod but I am not sure how or why this works (if it does).

Has anyone tried this, any comments?

Thanks,

John

Something nice about this mod, it looks like it is very easy to remove and put back to stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have never seen that set up but i am going to try it its will save money so my wife cant *****

i have never seen that set up but i am going to try it its will save money so my wife cant *****

Cool, I found another thread on this forum about this mod, (Just search for "uniflow" insteasd of the 23" tube you can use a 1 way valve, the long tube is so fues wont flow back into the muffler when prming, the valve will do the same thing, actually would be better I would thing.

My problem with this mod is that I cannot understand why introducing the pressure from the bottom of the tank would do anything different than bing ing it in from the top???

The only thing I can think of for a reason it might help equalize pressure is, and I am not sure, maybe the exaust fumes heat the fuel, the heat would cause the fuel to expand (I assume), which would cause additional pressure. I don't know how much or how safe this would be.

If you do it please let me know what you think about it.

John

Nice find wister. I am not ready to do my mid tank setup yet. I am going to try this in the mean time though. Even if this works I am still going to do the mid tank mod as I am sick of breaking fuel tanks.

edit: I am at a complete loss as to why it would work as well. I'll have to think about it for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you try the check valve. I hope you have better luck than I had with flood the engine all the time. didn't like it at all.

ACE

We tried this mod on my friends truck tonight (using the check valve) and all it would do is flood beyond belief. :dunno:

I have tried this with both a one way valve and the long fuel pipe. I found that it was really easy to flood the engine and I destroyed my roto start. I found that if I played around though that I could start the truck and it seemed to run far more consistent this way. I only ran 2 tanks though before I went back to the normal way. Reason being was that I was going through fuel at an incredible rate. The truck drank a whole tank of fuel while the engine was not running when the one way valve was installed (work that one out). I broke my roto start because when my engine floods my stupid roto start will stick on until I pull the shaft out of the engine and it will then turn off. The gears in the roto start fell apart from the load. I then resorted to using a drill with the slipper sell very low to avoid destroying my engine if it flooded. The way I found to get the engine to start was to pull the pressure line from the exhast/one way valve, prime, start then reconnect it. This would stop the engine from flooding.

My advice would be to avoid this method. It drinks fuel at far to high a rate especially when the truck is not running. Even after releasing the pressure by opening the tank lid it still seemed to drink fuel while not running.

Oh man what do I do? Do it or not do it? oh I'm so confused, what was I doing? lol Thanks guys, for the info. Id heard of it but never tried it.

i've seen that mod before myself but have never used it myself and sounds like maybe i wont be trying it!! thanks for the info on how it worked out for u guys!!

I suppose I was a bit harsh. It really doesn't cost anything to try. Just be careful with the flooding. Priming the engine and removing the pressure line makes it pretty easy to start. Just make sure your roto start isn't as crap as mine and that while the truck isn't running that it doesn't completely fill you engine with fuel. Maybe use a drill to start it with the slipper set really loose.

Members online

Back