Tranny prob - not shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgesBlazah

My tranny isnt shifting. It seems like its stuck in 1st all of the time. Its pretty slow. I tried adjusting it with no luck. Sometimes I will give it full throttle and it deosnt go anywhere and then other times it will just stay in 1st. Any tips?

you probably have to tune the engine in that has alot to do wiith the shifting sounds like its too rich lean it out a little

try tuning your engine like that guy said and then what i do (to warm it up sometimes) is i put the beautyful savvy on a wet board and hang onto it give it full throttle and see if it will shift. Make sure the board is really bet and smooth, the board i use is laminated. This will just see if your truck will even shift at all.

check your clutch shoes for wear and your spur gear in case the slipper is trashed or the spur gear nut has backed off

Its tuned right. I had my freind help me. Also, when I try to push the truck backwards, the tires just lock up up and don't turn. What does this mean?

that means that more than likely, your tranny set screw has backed out. Take the tranny out of the truck. When you open the case, you'll see a small screw that has backed out(more than likely) and eating into the case. No worries, the tranny will still be good. You have to put locktite on the screw and screw it back in. Just a little bit of the locktite will be good. I've had this happen to me on two different savages.

Just an update, I think if I hafto take the tranny out to find this screw....I might as well put something in there thats better. Hence a new 3 speed that I will proably order today. What do these things usually go for? The cheapest one I found was for like $60.

Will you be getting the 3-speed kit or the pre-assembled tranny? That price sounds good if it is for the assembled tranny.

that sound about right I think I picked mine up for like 50 or 60 dollars

Orderd it, should have it in a couple days. I cant wait. Its been around a month since Ive ran my Savy :( Hopefully I can get the front wheels in the air now. Will they go up with the stock spur/cutchbell, fantom pipe and Axial .28? I hope so! If not I will be sad.

It should wheelie, but I'm not sure what stock spur/clutchbell combo is anymore. :Mr.confused:15/49, 17/47:Mr.confused: I can get my 4.6 on a1" extended chassis to wheelie pretty easy with 16/49 combo

That was another question I had, should I change my spur/clutchbell ? I don't want to lose much topend, but I want the front wheels in the air. Not really in the air all the time to a point where its annoying, but just some good ol fashon wheelie time.

No idea, I want something thats a decent all around setup. If the stock one is good all around then I will keep that. I just didnt know if there was a "standard" setup to go with that everyone geos with thats better than stock.

Just an update, I think if I hafto take the tranny out to find this screw....I might as well put something in there thats better. Hence a new 3 speed that I will proably order today.

A 3 speed is nice and does add performance but it can be a pain if you have to adjust your shift point from first to second. The screw to adjust first to second is inside the tranny so you might still have to take a tranny apart.

Got the 3 speed installed. Best mod yet! If I give it full throttle the front wheels come in the air! I love it. It freakin hauls *** down the road. Now I just gotta get used to the front wheels coming up. I'm gonna try and rig up some kind of aluminum roof so when I flip it on its its lid on the street it will throw sparks. lol

Glad to hear it worked out for you! :) Might want to invest in a wheelie bar now. ;)

i would recomend a wheely bar, as i have just wrecked my shell!! i need to adjust 1st to second. good job i'm getting a sav x 'box! on full throttle it changes too fast 3/4 is about right. i got two middle age men asking me how many gears it had as i was out for a ply today!! their jaws hit the floor when i said 3!!! :buttshake:

could someone tell me how many turns out the factory setting is on the 2 speed? it's a .21 savage with a .25 engine. 49t steel spur,not sure what size cb to run either. got this thing on a trade, kinda beat up a little but runs good. my cb screw came loose today and wasted the cb. needs to be replaced with a hardened one anyway. thought a 17t. what do you guys think?

trans

that means that more than likely, your tranny set screw has backed out. Take the tranny out of the truck. When you open the case, you'll see a small screw that has backed out(more than likely) and eating into the case. No worries, the tranny will still be good. You have to put locktite on the screw and screw it back in. Just a little bit of the locktite will be good. I've had this happen to me on two different savages.

if it locks up when you roll it backwards it chould be to mesh is to tight i had that happen.if you don't shift after all that adjusting replace the clutch holder in the transmission.ihave done it all and mine still don't shift

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back