Safe temperature for OS .30???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franger99

Hello I'm new to this hobby so i don't know much about it.

I bought a savage with an os .30 engine a couple days ago but it runs extremely hot more than 300 degrees. I gave it more gas to lower the temp. But it shuts off everytime i run it. If i lean it a little it runs great but the temp goes up a lot. So my question is what is the normal running temp of this engine and how can i make it run normal.
Thank you

First WELCOME to the forum. Real good place to find all the info you will need to enjoy this hobby! The temps on engines can vary, but 230f-280f genarally are considered safe temps. In my opinion an engine may like to run at 300f but wont last as long. I would tune to were smoke is good and it does not stall out. I usually richen all needles to the point the mill runs. Then lean them from there. Good luck!

ya the temps stated above sound about right but i have found every nitro engine has its own "attitude",i have heard of some people finding the "sweet spot" on there engine at 300 degrees but around 250 or so is a good average!!!!

yep that should be good aslong as your still seeing the blueish smoke when your on the throttle all should be good!!!!

Now I'm having an issue with the roto start it just spins but the motor does not. I changed the one way clutch but the problem persist. I don't know what to do.

I'm pretty sure its your one way bearing or your roto start gears are gone! The one way would be the first check! Turn the fky wheel and see if the mill still has good compression if it does then check th owb. Good luck Glad to hear it runs ok now!

whats up welcome to the forum check your owb and on engine temps what fuel are you running fuel with high oil percentage tend to run hotter good luck drive hard lou

just a quick update: my engine broke so I'm planning to buy a new one from hpi. should i buy a 4.6 or a 5.9 big block? will it fit on my savage

I would go with the LRP .28 or .30. They are easily tuned and hold the tune. They are about the same price point. I LOVE MY .28. Just my opinion!

+1 on the LRP Z.28R. Thats what I have. Holds a tune great, tons of power and runs in the upper 180's with good tune. I find if I try to lean it more it doesnt like settling down from idle cause its too lean so it runs cool and will still wheely my xl with taller than stock gearing. In fact it sat for months and I just fired it up again recently. Started right up. I had a plastic spur in it cause it was the only 47T they had but the LRP ate it up after only a couple runs at the beach and I know it had good mesh. Threw the old steel one back on and good to go.

Make sure needles are at factory settings. I like to richen needles alittle. then fire it up set her down and run around in circles not goin above half throttle except in short spurts.Ido that for two tanks. Third tank lean ou high speed and so on.Good Luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Back