roto-start access

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X

Conspiracy of One
HPISF Staff
HPISF Supporter
I just installed a D30M with roto-start backplate. There is a crossmember in the way to access it with the roto start in the shock tower. Its just plastic and I could easily make a hole big enough to have access, but will this take away from the rigidity of the shock tower? Any suggestions on how you all have made this work would be great.

Thanks

sounds like you have the idea already at hand that's what I would do .. it's weird that its different then the hpi roto start back plate .. kinda a bummer

I'm runnin the sts in my savvy with roto-start and don't have a problem accessing it. Shoot a pic if you can and somebody might come up with a suggestion, only if you don't wanna switch to a pull-start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm runnin the sts in my savvy with roto-start and don't have a problem accessing it. Shoot a pic if you can and somebody might come up with a suggestion, only if you don't wanna switch to a pull-start.

Hi,

Which STS do you have? I am really wanting to get a STS down the road a bit, but I have to have roto start, I Don't think I could handle a pull start because I have pretty bad arthritis.

@savageXss1337 I- Is there any way to use the HPI roto start on the sts? Have you asked the guys at STS about this, seems like they would have had tpo run into this before, can't hurt to ask, maybe they can at least suggest a different shock tower's if all else fails. I wouldn't want to weaken the tower either.

Please keep us posted,

John

Hi,

Which STS do you have? I am really wanting to get a STS down the road a bit, but I have to have roto start, I Don't think I could handle a pull start because I have pretty bad arthritis.

@savageXss1337 I- Is there any way to use the HPI roto start on the sts? Have you asked the guys at STS about this, seems like they would have had tpo run into this before, can't hurt to ask, maybe they can at least suggest a different shock tower's if all else fails. I wouldn't want to weaken the tower either.

Please keep us posted,

John

I have a RB modded D30M. I might give STS an email.

I'll get a picture up if I can, it will probally be hard to see. I take it no one has had to deal with this and found a reasonable fix aside from making a hole?

try a different roto back plate if its available, it sounds like you have the one that sits on the left side instead of top left, or you could see if you could get a Tiger Drive to work, Hobby Town usually has them, but not sure if it would fit your application

try a different roto back plate if its available, it sounds like you have the one that sits on the left side instead of top left, or you could see if you could get a Tiger Drive to work, Hobby Town usually has them, but not sure if it would fit your application

I wasn't aware that you could just swap the back plates. I may try the one from my K4.6.

just make sure that the inner spacing is the same for where the nut drive cup is, some are deeper than others

I looked at it and the HPI back plate is a bit thicker than the STS. I also tried emailing STS and they were seriously not helpful. The most they would tell me is that I am wrong and Every D30M they have put in a savage had access. Whether they want to admit it or not the STS back plate access hole is on the mid-left side of the back plate and the HPI is on the upper-left, this puts it behind a crossmember.

I read some were that the extended chassis has been said to work with the center left backplate. I have mt doubts though.

ACE

if it is a little bit deeper but the hex size is the same all you should need then is a thin nut to use as a spacer so that the shaft doesnt back out of the engine, I got one for Hop a few years back but have not been able to find the same kind that he got for me.

or you can check at Tower its hard to tell how thick they are in the pic but its somewhere to check

Need to see some good pics bro ! I've had simlar problems along the way, but I found the best way for me was to cut a slot at the top of the rear skid plate. Like in the picture.

Not to sure how this will work out when I fit the Force .32 and the FLM hybrid bulkheads though !

excuse the horrible pics. This is what I ended up doing. I cut off a small portion of the shock tower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry bud, I can't really make it out, those pics hurt my eyes. It's very difficult to say what is the best solution to your problem without very good pics or hands on. I have moded a shock tower or two before, although not plastic, then usually shortly after I find some different ones which are almost made for the job. That is my advise, if your happy with what you've done, then stick with it. Alternatively you can shop around for a better tower and even a different bulkhead to give you better access. I wish you luck.

I added the Savage wheely bar (The single center wheel) and that gets in the way of the roto start as well... Its a PITA to reach. Would be nice if there was an extension kit that could mount a drive on the bumper and have a Dodge Bone or universal joint extend to the roto-start.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Why not just purchase another ROTOSTART and mount it to the back side shock tower. and connect it to the engine ROTO via a DOG BONE ... I have been eyeballing this idea for a few days now... The dog bone length would be the toughest part... Where can we find an assortment of Dog bones? This would cure all our issues and would not weigh that much.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

I added the Savage wheely bar (The single center wheel) and that gets in the way of the roto start as well... Its a PITA to reach. Would be nice if there was an extension kit that could mount a drive on the bumper and have a Dodge Bone or universal joint extend to the roto-start.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

so it is possible to use the roto start with the hpi wheelie bar? i gave it a try but couldnt,so I'm just wondering if it was my lack of cordination, or something else... lmao

YES... I have since learned how to reach... it will reach you just got to get it at the right angle and then stick it through the right hole.. LOL Pun intended.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Members online

Back