piston sleeve removal tip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummerguy101

Removing a tight piston sleeve and connecting rod
Tolerances between an engine's sleeve and crankcase are super-tight for a reason: any gap between the sleeve and crankcase can cause fuel and air to blow by the ports in the sleeve. When you want to remove the piston sleeve from the engine, this tight fit can cause problems. To minimize the risk of scratching either the piston or the sleeve itself, simply slide a few plastic zip-ties halfway into the exhaust port. Gently turn the flywheel back and forth, and as the piston pushes the zip-ties upward, the sleeve should be dislodged. Be sure your hands and fingers are completely clean, and then grasp the sleeve and pull it out completely.

A tight connecting rod can also be a pain to remove, but luckily, there's an easy method. After you've removed the sleeve from the crankcase, place a few drops of oil on the brass connecting-rod bushing where it is mated with the crankshaft. Cut a short piece of dental floss, then loop it around the conrod. Now gently tug the floss to pull the conrod off the crankshaft, and then carefully pull the entire piston/conrod assembly out of the top of the engine.

great tip's there...
thanks for sharing

Great explanation Shawn, one thing to note is the piston should be at TDC when removing the rod as some can get jammed with the case if it's at the bottom.

Aye great tips i been doing that way for a long time.... did scratch one sleeve when i tried everything to get it out haha. Good thing its a test mill and scratches are at the top.

I'm not saying my way is good, but i use a pen, yes a pen and after removing the back plate i put the piston at TDC and locate the bottom of the sleeve and push up on the sleeve with the end of the pen and because it's plastic on metal the metal will win, so you can't scratch your sleeve :)

Then after getting the sleeve lose i simply use a flat head screw driver with electrical tape on the end and equally lift the sleeve up....

Members online

Back