LRP Z.28 Spec 3, OWB issue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK1981

ChondroManiac
I'm breaking this motor in and when I went to start the fourth tank of fuel the OWB locked up. I thought the PS broke but that wasn't it. I used a pair of vice grips to hold the OWB housing and used some pliers to turn the nut on the starter shaft. It was wedged in there pretty tight but once I turned it all seemed normal. I tested it a few times and threw it back together and the motor fired right up. There was quite a bit of fuel in and around the OWB. Is it possible that it was hydro locked somehow? Has anybody had an issue like this before? Should I be worried about this? It seems to be fine now.

ahh thanks savy,as for mike,the pull start on my lrp did get stuck once after 4 tanks,I'm gonna do a rotostart soon on it.

I rebuilt mine, but shortly after I started having an issue with the OWB slipping on cold startups. I had the same thing with my k5.9. The motor will only 'pop' once with each pull of the pull start so you have to pull it quickly a bunch of times to get it to fire. Once it's warmed up and the metal expands the pull start works as it should. I have a roto start backplate on the way but I'll stick with the PS as long as it continues to work.

In my opinion the owb problem will not go away with a rotostart. The slipping problem is caused by fuel sitting in there and clogging it up with oil after the alcohol evaporates. I am gonna assume you are running a stock tank still from you're pic. The stock savage tank setup is prone to siphoneing. The fuel level is actually much higher than the carb so it can fill the motor up while sitting there. Friend of mine has been fighting the same problem with his X. Make sure you empty the tank when you are done and only fill it 1/2 way up for startup/tuneing. This sounds like a PIA but it helped my friend out. The rotostart is a good feature but can also cause damage if constantly ran with an over primed engine. with a pullstart you can feel a hydrolocked mill but with a rotostart you may just keep cranking it over. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure others will chime in here with some other ideas. My personall experience with the savage platform is with my Flm upgraded truck which has a mid tank mod. Hope this helps.

Well I'm done with break-in, but it won't go away. I had the same issue with the k5.9. Even if I cleaned it, it would be better for a few starts, but it would always start doing it again.

your not by chance picking it up by the front bumper are you , that would make any oil or fuel drain to the back of the mill and maybe cause problems

Well I'm done with break-in, but it won't go away. I had the same issue with the k5.9. Even if I cleaned it, it would be better for a few starts, but it would always start doing it again.

Mine always did it too Mike. I took out the owb shaft and hit it with some 800 Sand paper lightly. it went away.. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Up till that point I put it on my 1:1 car exhaust to warm it so it would pull.. And as said above the roto will exaggerate the issue.

Cool, I thought about that, but I was afraid of taking off too much and making the OWB grab even less. I'll try it next time I have the mill out of the truck.

I tried putting mobil 1 synthetic motor oil on my owb and have not had any problems with It starting my picco .26 yet . I've broken in the engine and ran about a gallon of nitro through it and it still hasn't given me any problems . Try some synthetic motor oil on your owb . It's worked for me . I used to have terrible times with owb's going bad .

Mike does it do it if its above 80 F out ? I never had issues over 70's. Just when it was cooler out. What Fuel do you use? what oil content does it have?

It never gets that hot here LOL. It's usually like 55-65 F. I'm running Sidewinder 20% nitro, 10% oil for break-in. It was all my LHS had left. This mill is such a powerhouse I may just stick with it, but I may try Sidewinder 30/10 eventually.

It never gets that hot here LOL. It's usually like 55-65 F. I'm running Sidewinder 20% nitro, 10% oil for break-in. It was all my LHS had left. This mill is such a powerhouse I may just stick with it, but I may try Sidewinder 30/10 eventually.
K ... 10% oil is ok. I gotta get sparc to hit this thread. He has my old LRP still in use. IDK if the issue ever reoccurred.

Members online

Back