How much play???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetats

Hey everyone,
Just want to know how much play there should be in the clutch bell? Just changed the bearings and when I followed the manual by adding a washer that is 5x10x0.5mm then the clutch bell with bearings then the metal bushing 5x7.5x3mm, then the screw, there was more "play" on the shaft that made me think

You want very little play, I'm sorry I can't be more specific. If your clutch bell is moving around then you run the risk of damaging your clutch bell and spur gear due to mesh issues.

Shim it as tight as you can without causing friction issues.

Also change out that bushing for a bearing.

a little is okay, but none is even better. You want as little as possible. Like X said make it as close as you can without causing any friction.
Optimal setup is the bell spinning freely with no play in it

Use a little Locktite on that screw or else...
image-jpg.85

Sorry but it sounded like you were asking about the horizontal play in the clutch bell- as in the amount that it moves in and out on the crankshaft? I would shim it as needed but make sure that the clutch shoes are entirely inside the bell and that the spur gear is entirely on the clutch bell gear when its installed on the truck. Leave as little movement as possible.

Btw those teeth don't look great to me but upbasher is right you can still run it. As far as the wear pattern goes it looks like the contact area is all to one side of the clutch bell. That is fine. My savages have all been like that. I have only had x 4.6 kits and that seems to be the normal situation.

Members online

No members online now.
Back