High end car audio 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Justin

I was a big car audio guy in the 90's and spent more $$ on my audio than my car. To be upfront- I want quality first!!! What are the best brands to buy for top quality car audio in 2011?? I'm looking to do a full install in my 2007 civic si. My 2011 BMW already has the upgraded Harmon Kardon system.
Looking for Head unit, 5 1/4" separates, subs and amps. $$ not a problem.

Justin, about 3-4 yrs ago I'd suggest goin with Alpine. But lately, there products aren't as top notch as what they used to be. I'll find out from my buddy what the head unit is that he's gonna get for his jetta to replace the pioneer flip out he has now. I know it's made by pioneer but can't remember which model it is. All I know is that it's a bad *** radio. When I find out, I'll let you know along with a website that has sweet prices on car audio.

Just heard back from my buddy and it's the Pioneer Z120bt. It's also a double din radio, not sure what size is in your civic now. He can't remember what the website is, but will look it up when he gets a chance.

I've been out of the thump game for a while now. But I do know that for subs JL Audio W7's are on the top of the market right now. Only need is 1 13 to make your car rattle! 2 13's to blow your trunk lid off! http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=3 As for the rest I'm not to sure on anymore. Amp wise there are to many good amps now. same goes for head units. What are you looking for in a head unit? CD, MP3, IPOD compatible, sat radio, DVD, or Nav? But pretty much the names that were big back then are still on top now. This is one of the things that will never really change. I have the HK system in my Mini, but I still put another sub in for highend hits.

Justin
I have a 12W7 and 13W7 powered by (2) 1000.1 JL Audio amps. JL Audio is TOP of the line company and products. Go with a Clarion head unit and for mids and highs I run MMATTS 6/4/1http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/separates.html. The MMatts beat the MBQuarts by far.
Make sure to dynamat the whole cab and trunk, get an uptima battery, and an upgraded alternator that can with stand the voltage being drawn without compromising the other car electronics.

Justin
I have a 12W7 and 13W7 powered by (2) 1000.1 JL Audio amps. JL Audio is TOP of the line company and products. Go with a Clarion head unit and for mids and highs I run MMATTS 6/4/1http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/separates.html. The MMatts beat the MBQuarts by far.
Make sure to dynamat the whole cab and trunk, get an uptima battery, and an upgraded alternator that can with stand the voltage being drawn without compromising the other car electronics.

Interesting- Alpine used to be the best for quality sound over options. I used to ove Boston acoustics for their sound quality and power handling. I've hd JL subs before and was not super impressed, what about kicker? I like JL so it seems I just need to pick JL amps and subs for my civic.

Joe's right Clarion is still up on the top of the list as far as head units. Be sure to put in a capacitor as well to help cut down a little on the stress put on the alternator. Maybe not even have the need to upgrade the alternator if one is installed, but I still would say upgrade it if you're looking for the serious bump!

ok, and what about where to buy from? Ebay?

Well seeing how your in Naples I want to say yes but no at the same time. Buy everything new don't take the chances. Bestbuy usually has some good deals if you buy things as a group. Just not usually the more top end stuff. I know kicker has stepped their game up with their kicker comp series for subs.

ok, and what about where to buy from? Ebay?
I shipped (2) JL12 W6's with box and it cost me $600 bucks in shipping alone.

Not sure where you are stationed at. When I was in Virginia I used to deal with a shop up in the Mechanicsville area. My fathers sister lived there so that was my spot as the captial was a party area.

I always buy in bundles as you save more and can always work out deals to drop the price.

Here is my setup when I go on leave. Both my vehicles are in Guam because I choose not to bring it here in Japan. Since my parents are taking care of the 4 Runner which had the 12 and 13 W7, Clarion head unit and MMatt mids and highs they asked me to take everything out because it is tooooo loud and people would steal it even with an alarm system.

So when ever I go on leave to Guam, I just install the minimum in my pickup to get my heart to skip. I leave the 4 Runner alone for my wife and son, plus it take almost a 1/2 the day just to install the molding and speakers. With my truck no fancy set up and only 1/2 the day to install what you see.

JLAUDO 1000.1
e4e12f34.jpg

Even with a capacitor and Optima battery I get the voltages to drop to a close 8, which would fail safe the amp until there is a minimum of 9 volts. Uniquely the amp willl continue to push 1000 watts Real RMS when the voltage is between 9-12 no matter what.
7fbef995.jpg

039d2285.jpg

3b9c8a2f.jpg

71703ff7.jpg

0ce0a10a.jpg

Thanks for the advice:) I'm liking what I se with the MMAT seperates.
I think the 13W7 is my sub! Box- ported? bandpass? sealed?
I'm in Naples Italy but can ship FPOAE

just asking- what about a pair of lower end 12" instead of the 13 w7? I'd like to save trunk space too. any advice on the kicker solobaric subs?

Justin that is a good question. I know USPS only does up to like 70lbs and they do a certain size of the box too. I can't remember the max off the top of my head. this might help you out for the shipping. Go to supply and find out what the Fedex addy is and use it if it's going to be over that size. ;-) http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/mailcharacteristics/minMax.htm
As for the box. Their usually all up to you on how you like the sound. I do like to have ports in mine. I would suggest it with the 13W7. The Kicker Solo-Baric is a nice sub too. I had 2 of them in my old F150 crew cab. Sounded GREAT! I liked them but the 13W7 I replaced them with did the job of the 2 12's with ease. either way you wont be let down by either of the two I think.

I used to run precision power amps- are they still good?
I just found my dream amp- the kicker "warhorse" 20,000 watts!!! only $1700 to truly have the most amazing amp on the market!! I could probably run 2 JL 13w7's and just not turn it up too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly Justin just one of either the 12 or 13 W7 non ported in your trunk and drop down your seats will rock. You would have many options as either to mount in the normal position or reverse. I suggest getting a custom mold made to accomadate the speakers and amps all in one, it will save space and have a neat appearance. Just one 12W7's are equal to two 12's and one 13 equals two 15's. Ported box are sutable for vehicals not having good sound travel IE being placed just as in the picture in my truck. When it is in my 4 Runner there is a large volume free air space for the sound to travel. You might already know but make sure the amps, ohmms and application match to get the best sound quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the past I picked up some suitable drivers, caps, coils and resistors from partsexpress.com. Made up my own component set and passive 2way xo's with a zobel network. If my pant legs get blown around with minimal distortion, it was enough for me.

For subs, almost anything suitable for an ib setup is decent. Especially low inductance motor structures with woven tinsel leads, kevlar spider, decent mechanical excursion blah blah. Design and performance means everything, logos on dust covers don't.

For amps, I preferred zapco and mtx in the past. Admittedly its been awhile for me too

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back