CB shims?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK1981

ChondroManiac
Hey guys, I need to shim my CB to get some play out of it, what size shims do you guys use? I've been having problems with the bearings failing and this time I used a glow plug washer between the bearing and that black collar spacer and it seemed perfect with just a hair of play so I knew it wasn't too tight. For some reason the CB screw backed out and I chewed up my only CB so I have to order a new one of those. I want to get proper shims and shim it the right way to eliminate that as a problem, and I'll make sure and loctite the screw good and let it dry next time. You think using the glow plug washer as a spacer caused the screw to back out or was it just a coincidence?

Well i only need a very small amount of shimming, maybe 1mm. I'm not sure fuel tube would work but i guess it might. I need a CB too though so I may as well order the shims too since I'm gonna be waiting on shipping either way.

The Ofna shim kit is the same one I used. As far as the screw backing out, it either wasnt tight enough or the lock tight wasn't fully cured. What I do is mock everything up to where the head of the screw is tight up against the crankshaft and then shim as needed. I don't even use the spacer anymore, I just use shims to fill in the gap. Once I've got everything set right, I pull the screw back out, put a small amount of lock tight on it, and then crank it down as tight as I can get it. Haven't had a problem doin it that way since. You just have to make sure you have about .5mm of play (CB slides on the crankshaft) for heat expansion.

Good question, I was wondering that as well. I haven't been running shims there either.

ya i don't run one there either, but in my new rc mag i saw a right up on it saying to use them to prevent drag. made enough sense to try it out i guess, but ive never had issues without them. i was just curious what you guys do?

Members online

No members online now.
Back