Axial .28 idle problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryugaiden05

I am having trouble with the idle on my axial .28. I just put a new carb on the engine since I was having trouble with the mid-speed coming out and actually lost the needle. Now I am trying to get this carb set and it seems as the tank begins to get low the truck wants to idle out of control. I am sure that is part of the problem, but I have not had a engine do this before. Would a mid-tank conversion help this problem any?

Sounds like you may have a severe case of half tank lean issues! If it only does it after 1/2 tank I would say that is what it is. Now there are different ways to "fix" this prob.
1. Switch the tank to a ofna 125 cc (you will loose run time due to smaller tank)

2. Mid tank mod with the Ofna 250 cc, Hellfire 150cc, or the Mugen-Cen tank/radio box mod (150 cc).

3. You can try the super long fuel line trick---I have not tried this but I have heard it helps...replace your fuel line with one that is at least 12" long.

4. You can install a "header tank" in line with the stock tank and mount it to the rear shock tower.

Sorry I didn't link you to any of these mods...I'm at work and on my Blackberry.

All these mods can be be found in the mid tank build section or in the tune issue threads about the 1/2 tank lean.

Hope this puts you on the right path!

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, the mid range needles like to "walk" on the Axials. I have owned 3 and all 3 of them the MRN would move on its own. Just set it and add a big gob of gasket maker on the back off the needle and it will stay put. I have pics if your interested.
As for the half tank lean you can try what jcam said. I personally just run the first part of the tank rich. So by the time you get to the hallf way mark and it does lean out it makes the tune perfect and I just keep driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, the mid range needles like to "walk" on the Axials. I have owned 3 and all 3 of them the MRN would move on its own. Just set it and add a big gob of gasket maker to the block off the needle and it will stay put.
As for the half tank lean you can try what jcam said. I personally just run the first part of the tank rich. So by the time you get to the hallf way mark and it does lean out it makes the tune perfect and I just keep driving.

This is the easiest way to take care of it. I use blue locktite on the MSN, using that for tuning usually is more annoying than benfit anyway. Also to add to what oregonmud posted, I find its easiest to just tune for performance when the tank is about a 1/3-1/4 full. Then half tank lean should never be an issue.

Read the articles on 1/2 lean cure and perry pump install.

Cures 1/2 lean issues and tuning can be perfect throughout the fuel level.

I've never had more power and temps never go over 241

I will try ther riching idea, may get the ofna tank. Just got to see how my money runs. Thanks for the help.

Idle Prob

Hey Ryu, Come by the house this weekend and we can sit down and figure it out. It could be countless of things. Call Me!!

Members online

Back