your opinions of my planned upgrades welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k0m0d067

Just got a Sav25, and after replacing a few things the previous owner destroyed (minor repairs, but annoying, since he didn't mention them) I have decided I want bigger and better...LOL

just bought the LCG chassis and braces

bought a set of Hot Bodies Truckzilla tires and wheels

bought a HUGE Hot Bodies .46 Truckzilla engine (needs a little work)

looking at a set of aluminum shocks

and plan to replace most everything with aluminum

obviously, with that monster engine on it, I will need an upgraded drivetrain...what does everyone suggest?

basically I'm going to be building a 2nd truck from the ground up with the best parts I can find and afford...

wow...the flood of suggestions/comments is underwhelming...LOL

thanks Chunky, but that's already done...i suppose I should have mentioned that...bought a cirrus 195 ounce servo for steering, and a 6 volt NiMH pack for the receiver, plus added a futaba failsafe, cuz the thought of a runaway scares the crap outta me...LOL

the kid I bought it from smashed the front A-arms pretty good, so he replaced them with aluminum ones (called them an upgrade, without mentioning the reason he "upgraded"), but didn't replace the broken bulkhead, or the screw that holds the bulkhead to the skidplate, so when i barely bumped a curb, it snapped the lower purple cross-brace, and seperated the bulkhead where it was broken...he smacked something hard enough to damage the servo...it still functioned, but had no power whatsoever...wouldn't turn the wheels when it was sitting still...for some reason he put a stock steering servo for the throttle/brake as well, which has plenty of torque (prolly more than necessary) for the throttle...

in the end, I will have 2 trucks...the monstrously upgraded one, with the .46 and the truckzilla tires...and my mostly stock Sav25

basically, I want to know what people think is the best drivetrain upgrades available for the money...I've got the biggest engine I dare put in it...now I need the rest of the drivetrain to be able to handle it...

Not sure exactly what advice you're looking for here, but you said you planned on upgrading everything with aluminum. I'd start with aluminum diff cups front and rear along with the 4 bevel gear sets if you don't already have them. The cups are necessary since the plastic stock cups can split under enough load with the 4 gears in them. After that, I'd definitely use a dual disc brake set up as your aluminized monster is gonna weigh significantly more than a stock truck, plus it's gonna have way more mass in unsprung weight (tires) to stop. I'd assume you want to use CVD's for all 4 corners, and HD dog bones. Aside from that, you could always use an aluminum tranny case, but I don't know that that's necessary, (and it's expensive) As for aluminum shocks.. everyone has preferences.. I use HPI's aluminum shocks, and like them. So far no bends or breaks. Lots of guys like the "piggyback" look and used Integy's but I have no idea why these would be any better or worse than others. The argument that the stock plastic shocks are better is also out there since they tend to flex rather than bend or break.. but if you're aluminizing the rest of the truck, I would want aluminum shocks to match. Good luck.. The last Sav that was totally aluminum that I saw, the owner claimed to have almost 4 Grand in it...
Vinny

sweet...thanks for the help Jeepguy!!! the dif cups, brake set-up, and cvd's (what are those again? LOL) are all things i hadn't considered, and exactly the help I am looking for!! I had already planned on an aluminum tranny case, as well as aluminum dif cases...

as far as cost...$4k huh? I won't be spending that much on it, but i DO understand it will be spendy...eBay helps ALOT!!

speaking of which, anyone know where the best deal on a piston and sleeve for a Hot Bodies .46 can be found??

nova diff cups, nova engine mount, Mip cvd's, hot bodys heat sink engine plate, lunsford rod ends, or hpi suspension kit, forget the .46 and go with somethen like the axle .32. the . 46 wasnt that impressive. my savage isnt all aluminume but its built like a tank.. if your going for a heavy truck with lots of power better beef the drive train to. can also go with lst shocks. bunches of thing to concider, just depends on how much ya wana spend, and if its a shelf qween or a basher...I'm a basher so I'm not to fond of aluminum a arms. but hub and hub carriour are nice..

well, I got a deal on the .46 though...$45 shippied to my door...

One other thing I forgot Komodo... with all the extra weight, you're gonna need a very good clutch set up. I have a stock Sav.. with the HPI 25, and use a 3shoe carbon set up with standard clutch bell... My 4.6 had more problems slipping with the extra power, so I upgraded the flywheel to a lightweight, and vented unit, used 3 Nova racing aluminum shoes, (no weights in them) and a vented lightweight clutch bell as well.. No more problems wit slipping or heat build up, (and stripped spurs) So you need to consider whether or not you want to use a steel spur gear, or the original plastic one, (not always bad to have a weak link in the chain, especially when it's a cheap and easy part to replace versus other parts) The Werks power clutch is another option.. I've never used it.. it's expensive, but supposedly works well, and is also adjustable. I figure adjustable aluminum shoes were cheap and effective enough. CVD's by the way are Constant Velocity Drives.. you'd use these instead of dogbones.. just a stronger part. Also more complex, can wear out, and obviously.. costs more. All these things you have to weigh for yourself, and what your objective is.. Ultimate show truck, ultimate basher, somewhere in between... Show us some pics as you build it!
Vinny

more excellent suggestions! thanks again! so basically, the entire drive train is going to need to be heavy duty, to compensate for the extra weight, and the bigger motor...I kinda suspected that, but hadn't nailed down any specifics yet...sounds like there's a lot of Nova fans here on the forums...definately worth looking into...

Nova Racing: Diff cups, engine mount, Cooling head for the 4.6 and alloy shoes. Everything is made of 7075 alloy.

Nova just came out Alloy arms ( lower ) Body Mounts ( sweet ). Nova just brought back there Alum. Wheels 4 or 5 patterns to choose from.

http://www.novarcproducts.com/savagepage.html

What else are you looking for and I will try to help provide links

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want all alloy i reccomend the fastlane machine shock towers and bulkless kits. You can lower the truck right down with the shock towers if its to handle better on a track.

Get some hardcore racing titanium tvp's. Should never need tvp's again. They also do some titanium skidplates which are nice.

Tsais cvd shafts seem to work the best, and get all the hardened transmission parts, cups, joints etc.

I would go with rpm lower arms, not alloy but they will do you alot better than the stock plastic ones and any alloy part you can find.

thats what i would use/do use allready.

Latest posts

Members online

Back