your first rc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnut14

I give bad advice
ok, so I thought that I would start a thread about your first rc.

rules:

you may talk about your first hobby-grade rc( doesn't have to be a car) and/or your favorite rc that you have owned/own.

if you post, please talk only about your first/favorite rc. don't reply to other's posts on this thread.

my first rc was a duratrax evader ext. I got it whaen I was 7.

My very first hobby grade RC was a Tamiya Chevy S-10 which I eventually traded for a Associated 10T2. About 2-3 years ago I found an brand new Tamiya S-10 on ebay that I bought and put together. Never have ran it.

My first hobbie grade RC was actually 2 RC's that I bought at the same time. A Duratrax Nitro Evader ST (which after all these years I still have), the other was a Ofna Ultra buggy with a Force 21 (I ran it out in Thompson Rd in Apopka Fl. on accident and it got ran over by a real car).

My first one was an associated RC10 buggy I believe it was one of the first ones it had the gold chasis and came with a mechanical speed control got rid of it and moved to a RC10GT my first nitro and have been into nitro since.

well back in 1985 or so I bought a used Tamiya Grasshopper with a broken servo and chassis with a couple batteries and a charger for it, I replaced the servo and chassis and for me that started it, I now have over 40 running and well working R/C Cars, trucks, heli's and a few planes too...my wife says i love them toys more than her, I dunno but they all cost as much as she does for sure :)

Reactions: Jr.
My first rc car was a schumacher fusion, 10-12 yrs ago. It was my first and only rc car, but I had it for a few yrs and worked on it all the time. One time I let the batteries get to low, and it took off full speed and slammed into a curb in 3rd gear. I had to rebuild the entire car that time.

First RC I owned was a Traxxas Stampede with an XL-1 esc and 20T Stinger motor with a 1500mAH NiCd battery. The XL-1 was new for that year and replaced the msc. The truck still exists...sort of. I think the only original parts are the body post mounts. Its now an STRC/RPM equipped brushless LiPo beast.

Favorite RC I own now is a toss up between my Savage SS and Revo 3.3. Two totally different trucks that I play with two totally different ways.

I had a hand-me-down tamiya astute from my brother. I distinctly remember stealing a stop sign to make shock towers out of it. Then used my stepdads tools (not authorized) to fabricate. I was 12.

My first was a Tamiya Subaru Brat back in 1983.
My favorite that I own now is a toss up between my Savage 25 and my Tamiya King Hauler.
Funny how both of my favorites have 3 speed transmissions....
:D

you have a king hauler? iv'e always like them. is it a chrome king?
I do have a King Hauler. I bought it less than a month after it was introduced. Paid $325 for it at Tower Hobbies. I do believe they are slightly more costly now. LOL
Here's a quick, low quality video of it with the dump body I built for it.:

I do believe that you and I have both broken your thread rules......
We are bad..... LMAO:p

My first rc car was a 1/10 kyosho spider I got from my brothers mate, that was 13 yrs ago.
The car spent more time in the lhs for repairs, back then I was to scared to wrench on it my self. They can be a bit intimidating when your a newb.
I have great memories of that car, that is until I let my mate have a turn.( flat out into a parked car) and that was the end for my little spider (bent like a banana) and I've been an rc addict ever since!!!

My first hobby grade R.C. was a Traxxas Sledgehammer kit and my favorite R.C. was my Savage 25 very tuff truck.

I also started out with the Grashopper in the 80's I suppose. I must have been 10 or so..
We were never rich, so we had to save up money ourself from delivering papers for a long time.

My brother and I bought it on a friday, and started building straight away.
To our horror there was missing a nut on both our cars...
We had to wait until monday (that's around a year waiting time when you're 10) to go back to the store.
There we were informed the last nut was acutally made of plastic, so we've had it all along.
We were so sure they'd messed up...

Made me learn to read more than once before making a conclusion, and to this day I still put the blame on myself before I try to blame others.

Remember the Hornet arrived right after I bought mine.

Of course my friend bought that just in spite - it came with a 540 engine, while the grasshopper had a 320 if I'm not mistaken (which I very well might be)..

Still hurts to this day.

When I was 7, in 1987, I was hit by a car, right around this time of year (winter in Michigan). While in the hospital, my family brought me models to build, (Which I loved at that time). But I couldn't roll them around and play with them. My grandpa went to the LSH and got me a Tamiya Blazing Blazer, along with radio, Nicads, etc etc... Made my two months convalescence got much smoother lol.

My favorite is my Savage. It's good at nothing, except screwing around and having fun, which is all I wanna do anyway lol

my first rc was my serpent excel 4wd track car , my favourite rc car was my serpent vector 4wd factory track car , until I get my roto start for my savage and can drive that

Reactions: Jr.
ok, so I thought that I would start a thread about your first rc.

rules:

you may talk about your first hobby-grade rc( doesn't have to be a car) and/or your favorite rc that you have owned/own.

if you post, please talk only about your first/favorite rc. don't reply to other's posts on this thread.

my first rc was a duratrax evader ext. I got it whaen I was 7.
I was about 11 or 12 years old and my father was getting tired of returning my radio shack cars so we went to the local hobby shop and picked up a Tamiya Frog. This car was so awesome as I was used to the less expensive cars. I remember it was 219.00 and did not come with a controller or battery. I spent the next week building it which is almost unheard of now days (RTR). I had that car for the next 3 years, had tons of fun with it. This is when I became hooked and have been in the hobby ever since. Funny thing is some years later the hobby shop was bought by a gentleman who knew nothing about cars and boats, he employed me to build the cars and help others who needed help. I don't think I was old enough to have a job so I was paid with store credit, probably explains how I had a collection of over 30 cars, boats, and Heli's. MY prized rc at that time was my Serpent 966 which I radar-ed at over 80 mph...Man I love this hobby...

Found this thread awesome!

My first RC is a Tamiya Renault F2. It was the cheapest at that time and I had to buy a Futaba with a brown Crystal...which was also the cheapest.
From there it went to various other Tamiya buggies. My favourite is my old Wild Willy 1...sadly it's not with me anymore. I do have a WW2...which is more a shelf queen now.
Before that, my first experience with a Glow Engine was with a Cox P40 control line model.

First ever hobby grade was a Tamiya Hilux, three speed gearbox with selectable four wheel drive, i bought it off a mate for 20 quid! Worth a small fortune now. As a child, i played it to death!

My first rc was some type of Nissan car I was 5yrs old n it took 8aa batteries and the radio took a 9volt. I thought it was nice n fast I had a drive way all the way around house n I had plenty of space to run it full throttle it was a blast

My first RC car was Two. I bought a HPI Mustang Sprint and a Traxxas Stampede. I ran the Stampede about five minutes and never ran the Mustang. I sold both of them and bought a Savage Flux which is my favorite. That was about three years ago, and now I have eight cars and trucks and a quadcopter. I am NOT going to talk about any other cars listed here rcnut. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Back