Yet another mid tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfpmax

Using stock TVPs since i'm poor as dirt(thanks to this truck).

Since this was a Savage 21 truck, I decided to order some Savage X TVPs about...a week into owning this truck. Since the Savage X TVP has somewhat of a lower CG, I had to get the engine mount braces too...oh...I can reuse those! Also since its a Savage 21 base, the front and rear housings aren't like the Xs and the Ofna 1/7 tank compatible plates won't fit. Gonna have to get creative.
IMG_1522.jpg

Gotta drill out the stock holes to a larger size to accept the shaft bolts for the steering posts.

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

After some drilling and running down to the hardware store it was done until I got around to ordering the tank and other parts.

After that I worked on the throttle setup. Reused the stock rods(well a second set I bought).
throttlebrakelinkage.jpg

Made a bracket to mount to the main plate that is a very tight fit...still isn't quite right as I can't mount the tank to the plate with the plate in the truck. Also the MGT primer pump can be seen in this pic, I'm SOOOOOOO glad I bought it, makes starting the truck so much easier(along with the HPI Pro Glow Igniter I bought with the tank and other parts.
IMG_1586.jpg

Next up was sorting out the steering. I had looked around and gathered some ideas from other builds and went this route...only to find out that the stock servo mounted servo saver was not gonna work....money man off to the LHS to pick up the cam type servo saver.
IMG_1588.jpg

Top access hole for the servo horn bolt.

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

Its radio gear time! Keeping with being as budget(cheap!!!) as possible, I ran across the Hot Bodies garage sale and was looking around, saw a few receiver boxes and being that they were all $2 I figured I could give one of them a try. I picked up the Lightning 2 box and crossed my fingers. It was awkward looking when I received it in the mail because I couldn't find the pictures I wanted of it online. But how in the heck am I supposed to mount it?
IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Random computer parts come in handy sometimes

IMG_1597.jpg

recieverbox.jpg

Tight fit in there ain't it....maybe some room for a charging port?

And the finished product after I took it outside for a test run. Only problem I had was the brakes needed to be adjusted some more(had barely any brakes), and the steering servo was reversed(oh how fun that was to drive for 15 minutes), fixed that afterward in the transmitter. Also as part of that Hot Bodies sale I swapped out the Ribbed pipe for the Tuned Hot Bodies one piece pipe($8!!!). It would seem it improved performance all around or my throttle finger was more happy than before cause it would not stop wheeling :jumpers: Also the "roll cage" I made prior worked well as it ended up "turtle" several times from the wheelies and a few times it seemed to bounce off the cage and back on its wheels. I ran it till the tank was empty, only filled it half way, thought the truck had died from something else but I walked up to it to my surprise it had nothing left Captain!

afterrun1.jpg
afterrun2.jpg
afterrun3.jpg

Unfortunately...my yard is too small. Don't know what obstacle I hit(as I hit a few turning in the wrong direction with the reversed steering:cussing:).
whoops.jpg

Was planing on going LST shocks anyway since...these shocks clearly shown signs of neglect(this broken one had NO oil in it while the other shock barely had any residue left in it. All shocks show signs of leaking their guts out).

Oh yeah, and the shock itself.

In all its plastic broken body bent shaft glory. This will be the third part i've broken since owning it.

Wow, looks like you crammed everything into one Rx box. Never seen one of those used before but it looks like it worked pretty well. Good job.

you would be better off going with the hpi big bores then the LST'S the lst mounting kit and shocks add alot of weight and arent any stronger then the big bores and more weight means means harder landings.... lol

I'm looking at cheaper option right now(not including the possible IRC mounting kit). However there are "Big Bores" non threaded on Ebay, but can't swing them price wise but a buddy has LST2 shocks he said he'd give me.

Very nice man, i have hundreds of those standoffs for pc's and never thought to use them lol.. have to dig thru the parts box and grab a bunch for upcoming projects lol.. nice rx/hump box, seems to do the trick just well. I also want to give you props on the access hole for the servo horn, another great idea lol.. i always use threaded horns for that reason, but now i have other options

Here's a tip for those of you who need stand-offs of various sizes - If you go to Lowes/Home Depot/etc, you can get either round or square aluminum stock for just a few bucks. Cut it to the length you need for the standoff. Then drill the ends with a 7/64th bit (usually found in most decent drill set kits). The M3 machine screws from the Savage can then be used to mount anything. I have used this for shocks, servos, gas tanks, and it has always worked well (so far!).

Hope this helps!

Bob

Nice job. A 3m tap is a must have and a 4m isn't a bad idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Back