Yep Spur-gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motha Trucka

I just either stripped or melted the teeth off my spur-gear just like leslie did, in the othere spur-gear thread!! I read that whole thread and it's a good one lots of great info, so I too should get a vented CB along with a new spur-gear right? Is there any particular brand of vented CB, also do they make a metal srur-gear? And if so would it be better than the stock plastic one? This too is my first repair on my Savage X, but after 10 tanks of fuel I don't think thats too bad!!!??
Motha Trucka

they do make metal spur gears
the problem with them though is that it makes other more expensive and harder to change parts the weak link in the drive train. instead of changing a 5 dollar spur gear, you would be changing 20 dollar clutch bells or gears in the tranny any time that something went wrong

Brian

Hi Motha Trucka

I went through 3 plastic spurs in about 12 tanks (despite my attempts to get the mesh just right) so decided to take the risk of getting the Hardened CB and Metal spur. I have managed 1/2 a gallon with them and its still going (really well infact).
I noticed that the plastic spurs were not true when moulded so I would always get a tight spot on the CB/Spur mesh. The metal ones look like they are more precision made and was a lot easier to set up the mesh as the spur was perfectly round.
I still think stick with plastic but if it just keeps happening its worth a try, (it worked for me) :)

One of the things that cause the spur to fail is exactly what spud said. They are molded off center, or just don't fit well. The fix for that is to mesh it where there are no tight spots at all, even though the other side of the gear seems more loose, it will hold. I got 6 gallons out of a stock 49T spur, and thats how I mesh them.

But I still don't recommend going steel. I have seen catastrophic tranny failures that could have been prevented with a plastic spur.

Hi All,

Just an update, I've got 8 tanks through with a stock spur, carefully meshed and a hardened bell.

I went with the hardened/vented bell mainly because of the aluminum shoes and heat.

I'm avoiding a metal spur gear, because I would rather replace an occasional stripped spur (cheap) than destroy the next thing inline.... probably more expensive.

Cheers,
Leslie

I want to thank all you guys for the good solid advice, and I'm going to take it. Tomorrow I'm going to the LHS and pick up a few stock plastic 49 tooth spurs, put one on my truck and just have fun. Maybe down the road after a few spur-gears I might go with the same set up as Leslie, he seems to be real happy with that set-up.
Motha Trucka

Hi All,

good choice motha, and yes SHE (smirk) likes her setup. I believe spending the time on the mesh was well worth it. Keep in mind I am a newb with this truck, I've been flying heli's for years and pinion gear meshing is an art on heli's.

But I'm really liking the alum. shoes too!!

Cheers,
Leslie (chick driver)

wow tou fly heli's, 9i used to have one and i i lost the engine the first time after building it, then it nose dived into the ground!! i fly planes only now, and my savage flys sometimes too.

Latest posts

Members online

Back